Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What movie got filmed in or near your town?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
'Edward Scissorhands' was filmed in Lutz, just south of Land o' Lakes where I worked.

'Prancer' was filmed in and around the town I grew up in. My mom used to take us kids to the farm in that movie to buy apples.

My dad recognized the homes in 'Home Alone' as being in Winetka, IL, along the gold coast of Lake Michigan north of Chicago. He said he used to service TV's in that area when our family used to live in northern Illinois where I was born.

Ride with the Devil was filmed in Missouri, in Pattonsburg and some of the country just south of Bethany, which are about 18 miles apart in north Missouri. I grew up in and around Bethany.

It was Toby McGuire's first real effort at a major production movie. Set near the beginning of the Civil War, the story line has McGuire as a Southern sympathizer who joins a marauder gang known as the Bushwhackers, much like Quantrill's Raiders. Also in the film were Skeet Ulrich, Jeffrey Wright, Jonathan Brandis, Jim Caviezel [Jesus in Passion of the Christ] and music star Jewel. The movie was critically aclaimed but did terrible at the box office. It had a $38 million budget, and grossed only $635,000 domestically. The odd thing is, it was Ang Lee's first major film. I think the movie really ought to get a closer look, because my opinion is it was pretty good.

The big scene of the movie was a recreation of the sacking and burning of Lawrence, Kansas. Old Pattonsburg filled in for Lawrence. The town had been devastatingly flooded 12 times since the early 20th century, and the government got tired of rebuilding and cleaning it up, so they moved the whole town a half mile to the east, on top of a hill. A lot of buildings in the old town, dating from the mid-19th century, made perfect fodder for the destruction of Lawrence. Sad those historic old buildings were used that way, and even sadder the movie they were sacrificed for didn't get the attention it deserved.

A lot of buildings in the old town, dating from the mid-19th century, made perfect fodder for the destruction of Lawrence. Sad those historic old buildings were used that way...
There should be a law against that.

I'm not kidding. I'm sad anytime an old house or building gets torn down. I moved to middle America to enjoy old houses and the country and it kills me to see people tear old stuff down to build new.

Close friends of my mom and dad's lived in Marengo, Illinois and when we went to visit them us kids would all pile into the closest available vehicle and go to the mall in nearby Woodstock, where 'Groundhog Day' was filmed.

Why film Groundhog Day in Woodstock, Il, and not in Punxsutawney, PA you ask?

Downstate Illinois has had a few scenes in movies:

Filmed at the U of I:
1) Hoop Dreams
2) With Honors (with Joe Pesci)

Decatur: The Informant

Danville: the stadium scenes for ballgames for "League Of Their Own"
: same stadium for scenes for "The Babe"

Springfield: steps of the Capitol: "Legally Blonde 2"

"Grumpy Old Men" (Jack Lemon & Walter Matthau) was filmed in various places in SE Minnesota.

"Fargo" was filmed in various places all over Minnesota as it was an unseasonably warm winter and they had a hard time finding desirable winter scenery.

Jingle All The Way (Arnold Schwarzenegger & Sinbad) was filmed in the Twin Cities metro area of Minnesota.

Jingle All The Way (Arnold Schwarzenegger & Sinbad) was filmed in the Twin Cities metro area of Minnesota.
One of my favorite Christmas movies, lol. When I was trapped in Florida for twenty years I used to love watching that movie and reminiscing (thank God for spell check) about Christmas time back home in the north.

"What's the password?"

"Jingle Bells batman smells"

I think the mall they filmed in is the mall that started it all back in the seventies, right?

Now my favorite Christmas movie is Christmas Vacation (my cleaned up TV version). Based in the Chicago area if I'm not mistaken.

Downstate Illinois has had a few scenes in movies:

Filmed at the U of I:
1) Hoop Dreams
2) With Honors (with Joe Pesci)

Decatur: The Informant

Danville: the stadium scenes for ballgames for "League Of Their Own"
: same stadium for scenes for "The Babe"

Springfield: steps of the Capitol: "Legally Blonde 2"

Wasn't 'Field of Dreams' filmed in a corn field down there? You know, the one that starts in Kansas and ends in Indiana.

Wasn't 'Field of Dreams' filmed in a corn field down there? You know, the one that starts in Kansas and ends in Indiana.

"Field of Dreams" will filmed in Iowa. The diamond was built on 2 properties because of the vista... and the corn was brought in & water was hauled in to keep the corn green. You can visit the diamond today.... they even sell their own souveniers.

A couple of years ago, Major League Baseball invited a large number of retired 'greats' from the game...and filmed them coming out of the corn field ... what a hoot that was to see!

Legends of the Fall, Brokeback Mountain, Superman I & III, possibly II, The Bourne Legacy, Unforgiven, Days of Heaven, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and possibly Shanghai Nights, Shanghai Noon and X-Men. Lots of others.

Ah yes, Memphis...is there really any better place to film a movie set on a deserted island in the south pacific?

I just thought of another movie filmed here; "The Grace Card".

There have been several other John Grisham stories turned to movies filmed around where I live.

Back