Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What to do?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I clean house when life gets to me. Weird, I know, but it takes my mind off junk and everything feels fresher and newer when I get done.

Listen to music, play my guitar or bass, or Draw.

Now drawing a wolf dude playing guitar while listening to Judas Priest = :biggrin

JoJo said:
I clean house when life gets to me. Weird, I know, but it takes my mind off junk and everything feels fresher and newer when I get done.

THAT'S a good idea :lol Yeah, my head space typically matches what's outside too.

Good one Iguana, I love to draw...

Play with the kids. My kids can bring me around. :)

Play with the dogs. Who can be depressed around two great danes? :lol

Practice martial arts....hit stuff or my friends. :)

Go shooting, clean guns, or look at new guns. :biggrin

how about thank god for the past deliverances from trials and your testimony, btw i need to do that more often

let's focus on god instead of ourselves and our joy will increase

my two pennies, oh wait taxes one penny

jason

jasoncran said:
how about thank god for the past deliverances from trials and your testimony, btw i need to do that more often

jason

Jason,

I hope you are not implying that God does not want us to enjoy our hobbies???

Everything we do can be done for the Glory of God!

GojuBrian said:
jasoncran said:

jason

Jason,

I hope you are not implying that God does not want us to enjoy our hobbies???

Everything we do can be done for the Glory of God!
no, not all but it's a good idea to do that as it reminds us of the fact that he's our source of strength, one day we mayn't be able to do anything at all ie bedridden( you had cancer, i know you know that and that may have gotten you through that time along with much prayers)

jason

Jesus is our foundation, but we are allowed to build upon it. :)

I see what you're saying.

There are a lot of things that can and do get me down at times, but I just keep having faith that it's all in God's hands, and that he knows what's best, even if I don't understand, or agree with what's going on.

I don't think that life is always fair, and I don't think that life is supposed to be fair. But when life isn't being fair, how do we respond? Do we look for a scapegoat or do we take accountability for what were able to be accountable for? Do we use that unfairness to cover or justify our own bad behavior, or do we use it as a spring to get us moving in a direction that opposes unfair behavior that enables us to be a light in an often dark dark world?

I praise God. I read a wonderful book called "Answers to Praise" by Carothers. I stumbled on this book accidentally in a time of my life when I was feeling down. Every thing he wrote, he supported with scriptures and it just all made sense to me. Even more, the book was filled with testimonies of people`s lives being changed once they started praising God. So I started praising God too and I started feeling better. Now I make it a practice to try and praise God if I start getting down. If I let my mind dwell on the thing that gets me down, I tend to stay down, but if I start looking up and praising God, things don`t seem as bad and I feel revived with hope.

Another thing I do that is not Biblically related is I try to keep my womanly cycle in perspective so if I start feeling down or grumpy I make a mental check of the time of month and very often it is that PMS time. When that happens I remind myself that the feelings I`m having are hormonally related rather than my real feelings. I remind myself if I were in the same situation a week prior, I probably would not be feeling the way I am. When I can mentally diagnose the fact that my feelings are hormonal rather than actual, I can deal with them better by not taking them so seriously. I also go and take a vitamin B complex to help balance my hormones. That helps. Then I either start praising God for the great things He has done in my life or I put on some good praise music and sing along. It helps!

One other thing I do is journal. When I can write out all my bad feelings, I tend to get them out of my system and get some perspective on the situation.

I usually run, or listen to music..

When you are in Afghanistan, it can be pretty much limited of stuff that you can do..

one of my favorite things to do.. go to the px, (or store that is here on the FOB)
grab a package of twizzlers, a red bull, and a buy a $2 dollar movie (burned copy,
they are sold alll over the FOBS here) and when I say movie, I mean chick flick..

then sit in my BHUT and watch a movie while eating twizzlers and drinking a red bull..

that is like..one of the most fun things for me right now..it really is, so fulfilling :)

It's like an escape from everything where I can just chill

All kinds of things from asking God to take it away, to getting on my drums or guitar, because I can pull all types of feelings out of myself when I get that way. Or sometimes it is hard for me to come out of it. And every once in a while, I might feel sorry for myself :crying :tongueuppydogeyes :shame2

JoJo said:

JoJo, next time you feel down, you can come on over to my place! ;)

I go for a drive to this little national forest road that's about two miles up from where we live. I drive for about a half mile on this road and it's like I'm in a place that's untouched by human hands. There are pine trees, willows, elderberry trees, and millions of mountain wild flowers.

Then I'll cry, pray, and will wind up singing hymns or praise songs. Perks me up every time!

handy said:
JoJo said:

I go for a drive to this little national forest road that's about two miles up from where we live. I drive for about a half mile on this road and it's like I'm in a place that's untouched by human hands. There are pine trees, willows, elderberry trees, and millions of mountain wild flowers.

Then I'll cry, pray, and will wind up singing hymns or praise songs. Perks me up every time!
That is why I have to get back out of Philly, I am in the process of trying to move to Delaware, a great state, only 900,000 people plenty of unmolested land. I have to get out of this asphalt jungle. I mean I love Philly, this is the birth place of our nation, and I am always downtown walking were Franklin, Washington, and Jefferson walked, or standing outside of Betsy Ross's house or going in and seeing where our first flag was made. And also Philly has the largest city park, bar none, in the world. But I still want to go to the country, so I can look at all of God's works and praise Him, and also when I am around a lot of nature, my depression goes down, way down. Sorry I got off topic, but Dora just took me there.

Lewis said:
That is why I have to get back out of Philly, I am in the process of trying to move to Delaware, a great state, only 900,000 people plenty of unmolested land. I have to get out of this asphalt jungle. I mean I love Philly, this is the birth place of our nation, and I am always downtown walking were Franklin, Washington, and Jefferson walked, or standing outside of Betsy Ross's house or going in and seeing where our first flag was made. And also Philly has the largest city park, bar none, in the world. But I still want to go to the country, so I can look at all of God's works and praise Him, and also when I am around a lot of nature, my depression goes down, way down. Sorry I got off topic, but Dora just took me there.

Lewis, when you go, you have to promise to take me with you! :wave

handy said:

:rolling Actually, when my mom still lived in the same state, I used to go to her house and clean. It helped her and me!

paisley said:
I praise God. I read a wonderful book called "Answers to Praise" by Carothers. I stumbled on this book accidentally in a time of my life when I was feeling down. Every thing he wrote, he supported with scriptures and it just all made sense to me. Even more, the book was filled with testimonies of people`s lives being changed once they started praising God. So I started praising God too and I started feeling better. Now I make it a practice to try and praise God if I start getting down. If I let my mind dwell on the thing that gets me down, I tend to stay down, but if I start looking up and praising God, things don`t seem as bad and I feel revived with hope.

Paisley, thank you for this awesome reminder to praise God in all circumstances! :amen

paisley said:
Another thing I do that is not Biblically related is I try to keep my womanly cycle in perspective so if I start feeling down or grumpy I make a mental check of the time of month and very often it is that PMS time. When that happens I remind myself that the feelings I`m having are hormonally related rather than my real feelings. I remind myself if I were in the same situation a week prior, I probably would not be feeling the way I am. When I can mentally diagnose the fact that my feelings are hormonal rather than actual, I can deal with them better by not taking them so seriously. I also go and take a vitamin B complex to help balance my hormones. That helps. Then I either start praising God for the great things He has done in my life or I put on some good praise music and sing along. It helps!

You just described me to a T. I also have to remind myself that my hormones are screwing with me...it's like a magnifying glass on everything, making little problems seem larger and more menacing. Does vitamin B really help? I've heard it does, but does it really?

" I also have to remind myself that my hormones are screwing with me...it's like a magnifying glass on everything, making little problems seem larger and more menacing. Does vitamin B really help? I've heard it does, but does it really?"

I don`t even have to have a problem to be magnified. My hormones can make me feel down or grumpy for no reason at all!
As for vitamin B, it does work for me. I don`t take them and feel an instant eye opening effect. The effect is more subtle but definitely there. I take a really good formula though. It is called "High Stress B & C with herbs" by Source Naturals from iHerb.com (no one in my family is in any way affilated with these companies). The dosage of B in this forumula is higher than the average B complex and it has 17 herbs that are associated with calming so it is an all in one vitamin but not too expensive. I also ONLY take this vitamin during PMS so it doesn`t lose its effect. It seems to help with stress too. My husband has been unemployed since Feb. and at one point he got depressed about it even though he was reading his Bible, going to church, and praying, so I gave him these vitamins without telling him what they were (we take regular daily vitamins so it was not unusual for me to give these), and he calmed down. I gave them for about a week, then I stopped giving the vitamins and he hasn`t complained about depression since. That was several months ago. Now he is content with just reading his Bible and praying. So there seems to be nothing addictive or harmful about these vitamins as I can tell. But I use them in moderation. I wouldn`t recommend taking them on a daily basis since the vitamin B content is higher than usual, just my opinion.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back