Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What would you call this religion...

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
V

Vanguard

If someone had the following beliefs, what would you call them:

1. God is the creator. He is omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient.
2. Jesus is God's son, who died on the cross for the sins of mankind. Whether or not He was born from a virgin is irrelevant.
3. A belief in the Holy Spirit as part of the Trinity.
4. Agree with Judaism that Ha-SaTan is an angel following God's orders to accuse the sinful, and bring them before God for judgment.
5. There is no such place as Hell right now, but Gehenna will be a place of torment for the wicked after the resurrections and/or rapture.
6. Humans have free will and it is because of free will that bad things happen (someone makes a choice to do something bad).
7. The Bible is not inerrant (completely error free) but is infallible (does not intentionally try to mislead).
8. The English translations are not as accurate as the original Hebrew and Greek.
9. History and philosophy play an important role in understanding religion.
10. Science can explain a lot of the phenomenons presented in the Bible, but God's laws of nature define the study of science.

So what do you think this would be labeled as?

Messianic Judaism? Universal Unitarian? New Age Protestant? Non-denominational Christian?

:confused

Edit: I am aware that some will say it is "blasphemous, heretic, misguided, etc." Keep those types of comments to yourself.

That is not what the term means. It means it cannot fail to accomplish what God sent it for to do.

Confused Seeker

My definition is exactly what it means, and the 1978 Chicago Conference agrees with me.

I've never heard of the 1978 Chicago conference, and even so, what makes it any rule of standard?

One question.

What is your view of the resurrection?

I lied. Two questions.....lol

What must a person do to be in right standing with your God?

If someone had the following beliefs, what would you call them:

So what do you think this would be labeled as?

Messianic Judaism? Universal Unitarian? New Age Protestant? Non-denominational Christian?

:confused

Edit: I am aware that some will say it is "blasphemous, heretic, misguided, etc." Keep those types of comments to yourself.

I haven't read the other responses yet so I may have missed something important but....

Messianic - don't know if Jewish

http://library.dts.edu/Pages/TL/Special/ICBI_1.pdf http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Statement_on_Biblical_Inerrancy

Infallible

signifies the quality of neither misleading

nor being misled and so safeguards in categorical

terms the truth that Holy Scripture is a sure, safe, and

reliable rule and guide in all matters.

Similarly,

inerrant signifies the quality of being free

from all falsehood or mistake and so safeguards the

truth that Holy Scripture is entirely true and trustworthy

in all its assertions.

From Webster's:

Definition of INFALLIBLE

: incapable of error : unerring <an infallible memory>

: not liable to mislead, deceive, or disappoint : certain <an infallible remedy>

: incapable of error in defining doctrines touching faith or morals

So, relating to the Messiah or just a crusading spirit? :lol

There are I believe gentiles who also believe the way some Messianic Jews believe (even they are not in total agreement) but are not by birth or have not converted to Judaism. But what do I know.

And the virgin birth is a fundamental belief of Christianity. I might allow for some interesting interpretations of scripture, but the Bible makes it VERY clear that Jesus was born of a virgin.

I find no room for interpreting it any other way.

So, to answer the OP's question: "An interesting cult that claims to be Christian, I'm unsure if you could call this Christianity."

Ok you two have lost me...

Edit: this was being typed at the same time that post 16 and 17 were sent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, you refer to the prophecy in Isaiah 7:14.

Isaiah is in the OT, and written in Hebrew. I am sure they know their language better than we do. The word almah, which is what was used in the Hebrew, does not mean virgin. It means young maiden. The Hebrew word for a virgin is betulah, and it was not used in that verse. Jewish scholars have been saying that for centuries.

In 2011, both the U.S. Council of Catholic Bishops and the NIV's Committee on Biblical Translation both agreed, after extensive research, that the Jewish interpretation into English is more accurate. They are revising the verse to read "a young maiden" and omitting the word virgin. You can thank Jerome and his 4th century Latin Vulgate for the bad translation.

That does not mean that Mary was not a virgin. You don't need the prophecy in Isaiah. The Book of Matthew implies it when the angel visits Joseph and tells him not to put her away in shame, after Joseph finds out that she is pregnant. The angel tells him that she carries the son of God, and from there everything is hunky dory. That is what I refer to. They can change Isaiah all they want to.

Back