Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What would you say?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
My nephew sends me jokes that are nasty, and offensive, sometimes.
I told him not to send me jokes like that any more, and he got mad.

Was I wrong to speak up, and tell him I was offended, or, was he wrong in
retorting in a snippy answer to me?

How do you handle things like this?

Just tell him actually like you did and tell him your not trying to upset him, but as a Christian it
is just something you don't want to be part of. Ask him to respect your feelings.

It does sound as though your nephew needs to work on being more respectful. It wasn't wrong for you to be truthful and tell him that the jokes were offensive rather than funny to you. I suppose if your nephew is generally a very respectful person, and you think his snippy retort was a very odd reaction to what you said, perhaps there was something in the way you said it and you should talk to him. But, if your nephew is prone to be offensive, then snap at someone being offended at his offensiveness, then you've done nothing more nor less than what you should have done.

Sometimes we wrap our sense of self around our actions/sense of humor/or even the things we do for others. It's possible, and I don't want to sound like Dr. Phil or anything, that your nephew may feel like you were rejecting a part of him by asking him not to send them. I agree that you were right in saying "please stop" but you may want to spend some time with him explaining that you love him, and that it wasn't an indictment of him, only that you find the jokes to be of poor taste.

Ty.

As a young man who deals with less than humorous jokes that are all too often vulgar, I think you did what was needed. However,I also know that people think differently. When I came down south for College, I had to adjust my vocabulary a bit because some words which are common place back north are uncalled for down south.

That doesn't change the appropriateness of your response, but it may help indicate why your nephew is upset. just be firm in your position but gentle and truthfull in your response. :)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back