Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What's for Dinner?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Nick_29 said:
I can't believe you haven't heard about schnitzel.

It is a thin cutlet of meat, usually beef, chicken or veal that is seasoned, usually crumbed. In this case it was crumbed in chillies.

485446879_d9c41e3bc5.jpg

That's fried isn't it?

Nick_29 said:
I can't believe you haven't heard about schnitzel.

It is a thin cutlet of meat, usually beef, chicken or veal that is seasoned, usually crumbed. In this case it was crumbed in chillies.

485446879_d9c41e3bc5.jpg

Nick are you of Austrian or German descent? Schnitzel is a European dish, mainly Austrian or German.

I am half Austrian. I grew up with veal schnitzel. I don't like veal. But that pic of the chicken you presented looks really good!

Crumbled in chillies? How do you make that breading (what is the recipe for the breadding) ? Sounds spicey hot to me. I love spicey hot!

Now I have to go into my freezer and get out those frozen chicken fillets and fry some up! Chicken fingers! Yum!

I had home made potato salad today with a hot dog and some chips. took it easy on the cooking today. Had left over food from yesterday.

Tomorrow I'll be making chinese stir fry with bok choy. I think maybe I'll save some of the chicken to mix in along with some thinly sliced steak,and maybe some shrimp too. "Happy Family" is what they call that type of stir fry on the menus in the restaurants around here. I like to see how well I can copy what's on the menu. Sometimes I make it better. Sometimes.... not so much better , but goood anyway.

Now, mit da schnitzel you must have some spaetzle.... ya? :thumb :biggrin

I'm pretty sure it's fried, but my mum cooks it so I wouldn't know :lol

We bought it crumbed so I'm not sure how to make it or whatever, but it's got chillie seasoning in the bread crumbs - and yes it is really spicy.

You can tell by just the name alone that it is of German or Austrian origin, and having studied German for the past four years, I say that German food is pretty awesome.
But schnitzel is quite popular in Australia. Australian dishes...well there's no actual Australian cousine - we're really good at ripping off other cultures. :lol.

That schnitznel looks tasty. I'm Trini-American, we love our spice!

I had t-bone and asparagus for dinner.

Fembot said:
That schnitznel looks tasty. I'm Trini-American, we love our spice!

I had t-bone and asparagus for dinner.

Steak and asparagus are yummy! :)

I had McDonalds. I got a double cheeseburger and fries. Not the best meal but a fairly tasty meal nonetheless. I was too lazy to cook so I had Micky D's make my meal! :)

Well, I could make some but they would be tiny. I live in the U.S. now and they don't sell the pans for it...no one here even knows what it is.

All Englands Skies said:
caromurp said:
My heart yearns for yorkshire pudding :crying

you could make some?

Just love the way this article is written, the lingo.... gotta Luv it! And to think.... they give the "perfect" recipe for Yorkshire Pudding! :biggrin

Original URL: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/13/perfect_yorkshire_pud/

Royal Society of Chemistry defines perfect Yorkshire pud
Distraught cooks offered recipe for success

By Lester Haines

Posted in Science, 13th November 2008 12:47 GMT

HP US App Security & Quality Management - Jun - Aug 09 - 200905-4609

The Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) has ordained (http://www.rsc.org/AboutUs/News/PressRe ... kshire.asp) that a Yorkshire pudding is not in fact a Yorkshire pudding if it's less than four inches tall, and has issued the definitive recipe for the traditional pud so aficionados can bake 'em up just like granny used to.

The judgement came in response to an SOS from Brit expat Ian Lyness, now living in Boulder, Colorado, who was having a spot of bother with his puds. He explained: "I use batter mix that I pick up on my trips back to Blighty and my mum's old Pyrex dish. Perhaps the secret is to make them as she, as a true Yorkshirewoman, did. I try to follow in her steps.

"I do not go for the silly little ones on the plate with everything else, but a traditional, big long pudding which she always served as a separate first course with gravy before the roast beef, lamb or whatever. Coleman's English mustard is also essential accompaniment, I find.

"But I have been struggling badly here. On Sundays from my kitchen window here I can enjoy the sight of rearing snow-capped mountains but on my plate there are apologetic little hillocks."

An RSC nationwide appeal for feedback on the perfect pud resulted in the 10-cm minimum standard, while chemical scientist and author John Emsley, of Yorkshire, noted that wannabe pud chefs had to consider the hard science of successful pud-making to achieve that optimum figure.

He said: "I have seen many grim results from people who have tried to get their Yorkshires to rise. They frequently made gross errors. After all, cooking is chemistry in the kitchen and one has to have the correct formula, equipment and procedures. To translate the ingredients into chemical terms, these are carbohydrate + H2O + protein + NaCl + lipids."

He added: "Some amateurs even place the batter in the fridge first. What kind of foolish act is that?"

The RSC invited Emsley to submit his definitive pud recipe (see below), but he warned that it probably wouldn't make much difference to those not fortunate enough to have been born and bred in Yorkshire. He provocatively explained: "It's in the blood and instinct of people born and raised there. You can always tell from the look and taste if the cook has the right touch and it is almost pitiful to observe the stuff that comes from some southern ovens - flat, pale and soggy much of the time." ®

The Royal Society of Chemistry Yorkshire Pudding

Ingredients

Tablespoon and a half of plain flour.
1 egg.
Half milk, half water to make a thin batter.
Half a teaspoon of salt.

Method

Put flour in a bowl, make a well in the middle, add the egg, stir until the two are combined then start gradually adding the milk and water combining as you go.

Add the liquid until the batter is a smooth and thin consistency.

Stir in half teaspoon of salt and leave to stand for 10 minutes.

Put beef dripping into Yorkshire pudding tins or into one large tin but don't use too much fat.

Put into hot oven until the fat starts to smoke.

Give the batter a final stir and pour into the tin or tins.

Place in hot oven until well risen - should take 10 to 15 minutes.

================

Related stories:

Boffins cook up ultimate bacon sarnie (10 April 2007)
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/10/ultimate_bacon_sarnie/

SARNIE? :shrug

What the? :confused

Well, at least I know there's bacon in it! :lol

Gotta look this one up, for sure! :thumb :biggrin

Okaaaay! I looked up what Sarnie is....

Boffins cook up ultimate bacon sarnie
Another triumph for UK university research

By Lester Haines

Posted in Science, 10th April 2007 09:40 GMT

The UK's universities are fast forging a reputation for the kind of ground-breaking research
which can only leave lesser seats of learning looking on in awe.

Indeed, hot on the heels of the Aberdeen better darts project, triumphant scientists at Leeds have cracked that most imponderable of posers: how to create the ultimate bacon sarnie.

And the answer? Simple: take two or three back bacon rashers, cook under a preheated grill for seven minutes at around 240°C and nestle between two slices of farmhouse bread around 1-2cm thick. Then eat.

In case you think this recipe is something any self-respecting undergraduate could cook up, you should know that it took four Leeds University Department of Food Science experts 1,000 hours to work their way through 700 bacon sarnie variations.

According to the BBC, in the process they tried "different types and cuts of bacon, cooking techniques, types of oil, and a range of cooking times at different temperatures", then ran a shortlist through a computer to measure the texture of each sandwich. Finally, 50 volunteers "judged each sandwich according to its taste, texture, and flavour".

Lead boffin Dr Graham Clayton, explained: "We often think it's the taste and smell of bacon that consumers find most attractive. But our research proves that texture and the crunching sound is just - if not more - important. While there was much debate within our taste panels on the smoked or unsmoked decision, everyone agreed that tough or chewy bacon is a turn-off."

Anyone wishing to verify the team's findings can avail themselves of the following formula: N = C + {fb (cm) . fb (tc)} + fb (Ts) + fc . ta, where N=force in Newtons required to break the cooked bacon, fb=function of the bacon type, fc=function of the condiment/filling effect, Ts=serving temperature, tc=cooking time, ta=time or duration of application of condiment/filling, cm=cooking method, C=Newtons required to break uncooked bacon. ®

:lol Bacon between two slices of bread! :lol

But scientifically concocted! Gotta Love it!!!!! :rolling

YUM! YUM! :lol

caromurp said:
Well, I could make some but they would be tiny. I live in the U.S. now and they don't sell the pans for it...no one here even knows what it is.

The one reason i would never move to the USA, would be the diffrence in food and ale.

It's been the story of my life. I was born here in Georgia but moved to England when I was 4. There were foods that we couldn't get in England that we missed, and then when we came back I had a hard time adjusting to not having my favourites again...especially since I was older. It's just not fair...even the baked beans here are different so you can't even have an authentic beans on toast! :sad

Relic said:

Okaaaay! I looked up what Sarnie is....

Boffins cook up ultimate bacon sarnie
Another triumph for UK university research

By Lester Haines

Posted in Science, 10th April 2007 09:40 GMT

The UK's universities are fast forging a reputation for the kind of ground-breaking research
which can only leave lesser seats of learning looking on in awe.

Indeed, hot on the heels of the Aberdeen better darts project, triumphant scientists at Leeds have cracked that most imponderable of posers: how to create the ultimate bacon sarnie.

And the answer? Simple: take two or three back bacon rashers, cook under a preheated grill for seven minutes at around 240°C and nestle between two slices of farmhouse bread around 1-2cm thick. Then eat.

In case you think this recipe is something any self-respecting undergraduate could cook up, you should know that it took four Leeds University Department of Food Science experts 1,000 hours to work their way through 700 bacon sarnie variations.

According to the BBC, in the process they tried "different types and cuts of bacon, cooking techniques, types of oil, and a range of cooking times at different temperatures", then ran a shortlist through a computer to measure the texture of each sandwich. Finally, 50 volunteers "judged each sandwich according to its taste, texture, and flavour".

Lead boffin Dr Graham Clayton, explained: "We often think it's the taste and smell of bacon that consumers find most attractive. But our research proves that texture and the crunching sound is just - if not more - important. While there was much debate within our taste panels on the smoked or unsmoked decision, everyone agreed that tough or chewy bacon is a turn-off."

Anyone wishing to verify the team's findings can avail themselves of the following formula: N = C + {fb (cm) . fb (tc)} + fb (Ts) + fc . ta, where N=force in Newtons required to break the cooked bacon, fb=function of the bacon type, fc=function of the condiment/filling effect, Ts=serving temperature, tc=cooking time, ta=time or duration of application of condiment/filling, cm=cooking method, C=Newtons required to break uncooked bacon. ®

:lol Bacon between two slices of bread! :lol

But scientifically concocted! Gotta Love it!!!!! :rolling

YUM! YUM! :lol

Please, don't get me wrong. I'm not laughing at the food, I"m sure I would quite enjoy the Sarnie , I'm laughing at the fact that the "university" did such calculations and that it took them 1,000 hours of work and over 700 variation and 50 volunteers and an ingenius "scientific" formula, to come up with the "perfect" sarnie. :biggrin

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back