Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

When Husbands refuse to lead or even help out.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

handy

My best friend has been through several years of hell. In the past three years her family has had to weather:
Her daughter being sexually exploited by her youth leader at the church.
The subsequent police investigation, trial and sentencing.
The fact that the church they were faithful members of for the past 30 years sided with the youth leader, more or less forcing them to change churches.
Her daughter's handling of the situation by cutting and becoming addicted to prescription drugs.
Her being diagnosed with a rare liver disease, making it necessary for her to quit her job, in spite of the rough economic times.
The subsequent thousands of dollars in medical bills.
Her brother being arrested, tried and sentenced for sexual misconduct.
Her sister-in-law being in a motorcycle accident, suffering severe brain damage and limited recovery.
Her niece and nephew spinning totally out-of-control with their mom in intensive care and their father in jail.
The death of her father-in-law, who was not only well-loved but also the head of the family business.
The imminent bankruptcy of the family business.
The fact that her husband's brother and nephew, who now control the family business, is cheating them out of thousands of dollars so that when the dairy goes bankrupt, they'll come out OK, even if little brother/uncle doesn't.
The "turned out good, but nonetheless stressful" reunions of their daughter with her birth mother and their son with his birth mother and his birth father.

...and, as of this morning, the admission of their 19 year old son that he is an alcoholic, but that he isn't going to get any help, but just drink himself to death.

Throughout all of this, my best friend and her husband have remained wholly faithful to God.

The thing is, my best friend has had to shoulder most of the burdens of all this. Her husband, the "little brother" on the family dairy, simply just goes out and rides the tractor or fixes some equipment and essentially only comes in the house when things are quiet. It's been up to my friend to deal with the kids when they were out-of-control, or just needing solid parenting. It's also been up to her to contact lawyers, meet with police, meet with financial advisers to see how they are going to live if the dairy goes down, make appointments, go to court dates, set up meetings with birth families, drive kids to counseling, build bridges when family members get mad at each other, etc. etc. etc.

The one thing her hubby did that truly was an example of him "being there" was that when the court sentenced the youth leader, they all went to the church leadership and talked over how the church basically threw their daughter under the bus.

But, other than that, he simply checks out. He even sat there during a dairy meeting and allowed his nephew and his nephew's wife to call my best friend a b**** and tell her that she was stupid. Didn't say one word.

My best friend's parents divorced because of her father's alcoholism. Then, her mother married another alcoholic and she had to live in that situation until she and I moved into a little apartment when we were 18. Both her father and her step-father died of alcohol related illnesses.

The one thing that my best friend truly does not want to cope with is another alcoholic, and last night their son came home drunk, locked himself into his room, and passed out.

Her husband walked out the door this morning to do some stuff around the dairy, leaving my friend to cope with their son once he woke up.

We wives are meant to be the "helpmeets". We are meant to follow our husband's leadership and help accomplish what needs to be done. But, in my friend's marriage, she shoulder's all of this stuff, while her hubby goes out and tinkers on dairy equipment.

She called me this morning and I suggested that she and her husband get some professional counseling on how to handle their son so that he doesn't continue to manipulate them. His threat is that if they don't continue to allow him to live there, drive their truck and pay his bills, he will drink himself to death, or get drunk and drive the truck off a cliff. This was said when he was sober this morning and dad was *chirp**chirp*

She is already in professional counseling. She has also already told her husband how much she needs him to take the reins here. She has even talked with pastors about the need for him to take the reins. But, it's clear that he won't and most likely is incapable of doing so. He's already been pretty adamant that he won't join her in any counseling.

I've tried to be a good friend in all of this. I've spent countless hours on the phone, just letting her vent, offered whatever insight I could, prayed for her, and done what I could even though I live in a different state.

Any insights as to what could be helpful here? The only thing I can think of that would truly help her is for her husband to step up to the plate and deal with the son. But, I don't think that will be forthcoming.

She truly sounds pretty much at the end of her rope. She has always been there for me in any trial in my life...how can I be there for her now that her very worst nightmare has come true?

She probably would not like my advise. She needs to stop trying to run things and go outside and help her husband on the farm and pray a lot.

Dora, I pretty much agree wiht Sam... that said what i wish to post about is you.

I have read many of your posts. I have nothing but good things to say about you! Your friend is blessed to have you. Never underestimate the value of a good friend. We all know Jesus is our best friend, we all know we should pray about "it". Isn’t it wonderful that God send us a flesh and blood friend when we are down? My prayer is for you for your strength, your wisdom, your faith.

<DIR>Mat 5:14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
Mat 5:15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

</DIR>Mat 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Thank you, Reba.

There is a lot of wisdom in this advice. I do see that. I just don't know if she will do it.

What is a wife to do when action is required, and her husband will not act?

What is a wife to do when action is required, and her husband will not act?

I don't understand men these days. I keep hearing, over and over, stories like this. I will say that I, at 50, am done fighting certain battles. But when my boys were little, I was there for them. I was alone but I was there for them.

I can't imagine a man not defending his wife or kid.

And I keep hearing about men who won't lead, who wont set an example, who won't be MEN.

I don't get it, I don't have an answer.

I don't understand men these days. I keep hearing, over and over, stories like this. I will say that I, at 50, am done fighting certain battles. But when my boys were little, I was there for them. I was alone but I was there for them.

I can't imagine a man not defending his wife or kid.

And I keep hearing about men who won't lead, who wont set an example, who won't be MEN.

I don't get it, I don't have an answer.
I was basically thinking this all the way through the OP. I was just cringing with every line. I wish I had something more to say than I'm sorry for her and you, and I'm sorry that one day he'll probably have a life of "I wish I was there when..." to regret.

Maybe there just isn't an answer to this.

I have to admit, I couldn't watch my life and especially my kids go down in flames and just go out on the farm with my husband when he refused to act.

Of course, I say this while married to a stand up guy who leads, even when he asks me to stand in his stead a lot. But, I can stand in Steve's stead while he's away working, because he's got my back, he's making decisions, he's supporting me and I'm supporting him.

But, to face all that she's gone through while her husband just head's out the door...especially the stuff with the kids, things that required hands on parenting and action...I couldn't just abandon them just because my husband abandoned them first.

I'd do similar to what the husband did. Only I'd do so much, then I'd take a back seat. Quite frankly, we cannot live other peoples lives.

I'd think of Luke 10:39-42

... Martha welcomed him, [Jesus], in her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat down at the feet of the Lord and listened to his teaching. Martha was upset over all the work she had to do, so she came and said, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her to come and help me!" The Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha! You are worried and troubled over so many things, but just one is needed. Mary has chosen the right thing, and it will not be taken away from her."

Of course, I say this while married to a stand up guy who leads, even when he asks me to stand in his stead a lot. But, I can stand in Steve's stead while he's away working, because he's got my back, he's making decisions, he's supporting me and I'm supporting him.

But, to face all that she's gone through while her husband just head's out the door...especially the stuff with the kids, things that required hands on parenting and action...I couldn't just abandon them just because my husband abandoned them first.
I don't mean to argue but these two statements seem to contradict each other. You indicate that you are okay with taking the lead role "while he's away working" but then you condemn your friend's husband because he "tinkers on dairy equipment."

Are you forgetting that operating a dairy is his career? At what point does one become uncaring? My job can deal with me being gone for a while. I can take a leave of absence from my position and the company won't collapse and the work will be there upon my return.

This is not true with a dairy operation. If the owner is unable to take care of it there are two options. 1) find someone else to do it in his absence or 2) just take the time off.

In option #1 there are problems that come into play. It's not easy finding a replacement to milk those cows or till, sow, and harvest the crops to feed the cows. Believe it or not those cows respond to strangers in a negative way and it takes a very special person to just jump in without upsetting them. Not only does the dairy operator have cows that are suddenly producing less but he also has a salary to pay on top of it. Milk prices at the producer's end in the last five years have been horrible despite the price increases you're seeing at the market. I know of a few of my neighbors that have recently gone belly up as a result. It's challenge enough to keep a dairy operational these days. Maybe he needs her to handle the other stuff so he can keep the farm afloat?

Option #2 spells the demise of the farm within a very short period of time. Those cows must be milked on schedule or they dry up. A dairy operation relies on them for its survival.

Sounds like he is standing between a rock and a hard place. His first priority is to God. His second priority is to his wife and the rest come next. As you have already indicated, if he works the farm he fails his wife because he's not able to do both the farm and be there for her at the same time. If he allows his farm to go belly up, he fails his wife because he is unable to provide the bare essentials (food, shelter, clothing). Sounds like he's made a choice to at least try to keep one situation from getting even worse?

WIP

I do think he is in between a rock and a hard place...but not the one you think. The dairy has hired milkers and the owners have more or less set hours, always excepting emergencies and calving season.

No, the rock and the hard place is far more between his older brother and nephew and his family. The older brother and nephew have made it very clear over the years that his children have no claim to anything of the dairy, because they are adopted and not "natural" children like the older brother's. For them, his first allegience is to the dairy, not to his wife and the kids she adopted. (Not that he wasn't fully on-board with adopting. But, his family has real prejudices about it.) So, when his "natural born" nephew and nieces got jobs on the dairy, got promotions and all that, his kids were shut out. Their son went to his uncle for a job about three years ago and worked his tail off for a week, working the night shift and doing everything to the best of his ability and when he went to his uncle to collect his paycheck, he refused to pay him because he had left some lights on one of the nights. Naturally, their son refuses to work for them any more. Adopted kids deal with rejection enough to put up with that kind of crap. Of course his dad should have simply walked into the office and cut a check for the son, but there is no way he'll ever stand up to his older brother like that.

Being the "little brother" and younger than his older brother by quite a few years, I think there is just a life long pattern going on that he just isn't going to break.

So, yes, he is between a rock and a hard place...one that after 53 years, most likely isn't going to budge.

Reading over my OP, I think I "vented" myself some. My best friend is as much my sister as my elder sisters are. She was the one who helped me in my early walk with the Lord, helped me learn to daily study in the word, getting me into church and was there for me during my long years of single hood. I was there for her when her father died, of an alcohol related illness, and also when her step-father went through his final illness as well. So, having her son admitting that he's an alcoholic at the age of 19 is really hard for her to deal with. It would be so helpful if her husband could step up to the plate, but it's quite unfair to expect him to do so. Only God will be able to give him the strength to do that.

As usually is the case, there is much more to this than any of us will ever understand. I'm beginning to understand some of your frustration. One thing for sure. We can't control another person. We can only control ourselves.

Back