Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

When the Truth isn't PC

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I was just randomly thinking about this over the past, I dunno, couple days, maybe week or so. The Truth--basic, simple truths about life, humans, etc.--has become decidedly un-PC.

People just aren't good. That's fundamental to Christianity, but its also a truth contained in literature, songs, art, so on and so forth. Seems like people used to take for granted that the world could and would destroy people, that people weren't so great, etc., but now...not so much.

Life is difficult. This fundamental truth seems to have been banished from our minds. I blame psychobabble and our belief that "if your life is difficult, its all your fault!" for obscuring and denying this little gem.

Aging. People get older, you know? I mean, I don't get all twisted up about it. I kind of took for granted that 25 marked the end of "young," 35 marked the slide towards middle-age, and that was that. Magazines and TV would tell us otherwise. I read somewhere that its because of capitalism. Young people a) spend lots of money and b) represent the new, fresh labor force. Gray hair, aging, all that is sort of a sign that you're now expendable or soon to be replaced. I don't know. At least in traditional societies, older people were sometimes afforded greater respect and protection (although it seems that OT and NT widows had a rough time of things).

Relationships. I read a lot. I like a lot of older stuff, for some reason (maybe up to the 70s). Maybe its just what I had access to when I was younger, since my parents, mother in particular, were big on reading good books. Anyway, from what I've read, it seems like divorce used to be looked on as a sign of failure for most people. It cost money, it brought shame, it could disrupt kids' lives, etc. These days, divorce is normal. I'm not pointing fingers or whatever--I think its largely a social issue, not a personal one--but I think its unfortunate, and I think it kind of goes back to accepting that life is difficult and that life is best lived within certain limits, parameters of acceptable behavior.

Homosexuality--As an ex-gay, I couldn't resist. Please, don't get mad; I'm not looking to start a debate. It just seems that, in older literature, homosexuality was looked on as a sort of tragic existence, even when viewed from a non-Christian angle. Unstable relationships (if there were any relationships), an obsession with youth, so on and so forth. These days, the love "that dare not speak its name" won't stop screaming for acceptance and affirmation. Our growing self-love (again, its a social issue, not just an individual one) makes things like divorce, gay marriage, hook up culture, etc. not only permissible, but we somehow find a way to celebrate these things.

Ugh. This is probably just a ramble, lol. Like I said, I'm sort of like Flowers for Algernon--my IQ has shot up, thanks only to Christ--and I'm experiencing a bit of an "awakening," of sorts. "Checking back into reality" might be a better way to put it. Anyway, I just find it disconcerting that so many Truths about human life and the human condition aren't PC or acceptable anymore. Maybe scary is a better word. Like, we're being programmed to live in some magical fairy land where hook ups are awesome, gay is the way, divorce is a-OK, you "create your own reality" (remember The Secret, anyone?), and 40 is the new 30 is the new 20, only as old as you feel, etc.

Ugh. Its crazy making, really.

no, its the truth, I have heard that what we have with the west isn't really knew but a rehash of the Greco-Roman culture. feminism then is exactly the same as it is today. women then who wanted to be broken from the cruel men did go to the extreme of well women shouldn't marry nor have kids as it destroys the bodies of youth.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back