Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

When you first heard calvinist teaching...

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

xymox

...did it strike you as correct? I know a few calvinists, and none of them thought it was true when they first heard it. They all had to be convinced. That doesn't happen with any true biblical teaching. If it's true, you just know it. I don't believe that a single person, other than Calvin himself, ever simply read the Bible and came away a calvinist.

We all have a bias .

D.James Kennedy,Charles surgeon and d.l moody irc with him were reformed .

...did it strike you as correct? I know a few calvinists, and none of them thought it was true when they first heard it. They all had to be convinced. That doesn't happen with any true biblical teaching. If it's true, you just know it. I don't believe that a single person, other than Calvin himself, ever simply read the Bible and came away a calvinist.

We are of God. He who knows God hears us; he who is not of God does not hear us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.
1 John 4:6

The apostles taught the doctrine of Christ, and those who have been defiled by the spirit of error, can not hear the truth.

Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 2 John 9

The spirit of error was flowing from the false teachers that ultimately defiled the hearers and formed a stronghold within their mind, that “exalts itself” against the knowledge (scripture) from God.

Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us. 1 John 3:24

The Spirit of Truth leads followers of Jesus Christ into a life of obedience. It is by obeying His commandments that we remain in Christ.

Calvinism is a doctrine of demons, inspired by demons rather than the Holy Spirit.

JLB

I don't believe that a single person, other than Calvin himself, ever simply read the Bible and came away a calvinist.
Well. since probably several billion people have read the Bible, you have not met .00000000001% of those people.

I don't believe that a single person, other than Calvin himself, ever simply read the Bible and came away a calvinist.
Also, Martin Luther was a Roman Catholic Augustinian Monk who could read Hebrew, Greek and Latin. I don't think he just read it once and came away a Calvinist, but by his studying it enough he stood against the Roman Catholic Church on several things and wrote his book The Bondage of the Will in 1525. He basically believed in Total Depravity and Unconditional Election, but didn't use those words.

I believed what Calvin taught, even before I knew what a Calvinist was.

Early in my Christian life I have sat under many different preachers from different denominations.

Holy Spirit has always illuminated the "Doctrines of Grace" in Scripture to me.

We are of God. He who knows God hears us; he who is not of God does not hear us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.
1 John 4:6

The apostles taught the doctrine of Christ, and those who have been defiled by the spirit of error, can not hear the truth.

Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 2 John 9

The spirit of error was flowing from the false teachers that ultimately defiled the hearers and formed a stronghold within their mind, that “exalts itself” against the knowledge (scripture) from God.

Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us. 1 John 3:24

The Spirit of Truth leads followers of Jesus Christ into a life of obedience. It is by obeying His commandments that we remain in Christ.

Calvinism is a doctrine of demons, inspired by demons rather than the Holy Spirit.

JLB

And yet you have never proven this, ever.

Well, that is my experience after 42 years of being a Christian. I can now say that I know of ONE person who was a calvinist without being 'taught' it.

Well, that is my experience after 42 years of being a Christian. I can now say that I know of ONE person who was a calvinist without being 'taught' it.
And I still do not consider myself a Calvinist.

Perhaps it was the reformed preachers I sat under at one time and had no idea they were reformed.

I really do not know.

And yet you have never proven this, ever.

It gets proven everytime I answer one of your posts.

• Calvinist's follow the teachings of John Calvin.
  • Christian's follow the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 2 John 1:9

It gets proven everytime I answer one of your posts.

• Calvinist's follow the teachings of John Calvin.
  • Christian's follow the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 2 John 1:9
First, can you prove I do not have God?

Second, show proof that the "Doctrines of Grace" are a heretical teaching.

The entire Bible taught the "Doctrines of Grace" way before Calvin did.

I am a Calvinist. It did not strike me as true when I initially heard it when I was younger (but I also don't think I ever cared to fully study it or delve into it so I truly never understood it until I got older). I think part of the reason for that is because Arminianism is so widely taught in Christian circles, especially those of young people. When I first was saved, I heard all types of teachings in my college InterVarsity group about how "God is a gentleman" and "love isn't love without free will." I accepted them as fact.

It wasn't until about 10 years later that I realized that my Arminian beliefs were failing me. I had no assurance of salvation. I was terrified of losing my salvation. I couldn't quite explain how I had fallen into fear. I then went on a quest to search for answers about how salvation truly works. When I truly studied it for myself, I accepted Calvinism very quickly. I realized how the Doctrines of Grace are seen throughout the Bible. And how God's sovereignty is an important theme of the Bible (whereas free will is not). Once you open your eyes to it, you see it everywhere in the Bible. The Bible made so much more sense once I accepted Calvinism. I had been very confused previously. I now don't nearly struggle as much as I once did with doubts of being saved. I may have the occasional thought, but I know that I don't have to give in to the fear because I have genuine faith and a love of Christ that I could NOT have created in myself.

Also, to your main point-- one day I was talking to my sister about this... She was not familiar with the term Calvinism. I explained to her what it was and she basically said, "oh yeah, that's what I believe." She didn't have to "come to terms with it" like I did.

I think, too, the major resistance I see to the Doctrines of Grace is that they make people feel uncomfortable. It is an emotional response. Words like "the elect" and "predestination" can be found in the Bible (including so many other verses that clearly speak to these doctrines.) It is our own man-centeredness, our own pride, that makes people outraged to believe that God will have mercy on whom He has mercy.

I also think we don't always automatically accept everything as true when reading the Bible. There are things you come to understand and/or become convicted of the more you read the Word. I don't think that should surprise us.

For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts. - Isaiah 55:8-9

Last edited:
Calvinism did not strike me as correct when I first heard it.
1 Pet 2:9 is the effectual call of the elect from darkness. 1 Pet 1:2 identifies the elect, limited redemption is in 1 Pet 1:18-21

9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;

Maybe you need to reconsider your screen name

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back