Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Where Did the Idea of a Flat Earth Originate?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
From the linked article:
"Skeptics and Bible critics love to accuse young earth creationists (YEC) of believing in a flat earth."

As a skeptic, I have to say that this isn't very accurate. Most of the YECs that I have encountered have never broached the topic and I've always assumed that they believed in a spherical Earth. Other skeptics seemed to behave similarly, viewing YEC and Flat Earth as two separate issues unless it was explicitly stated otherwise. Methinks it is the article that may have a distorted view of skeptics.

I have met a very few YECs that were also Flat-Earthers but I've also encountered non-religious Flat-Earthers. Every last one of them was more cracked than a failed egg-drop challenge regardless of religion or lack thereof.

For example: FELFAT and Operation Dateline Dig

If you haven't killed enough braincells with that can anybody make sense of their "Biblical Evidence"? I know that different people have different interpretations of various passages in the Bible but I can't for the life of me see how any of those could be even remotely related.

From the linked article:

As a skeptic, I have to say that this isn't very accurate. Most of the YECs that I have encountered have never broached the topic and I've always assumed that they believed in a spherical Earth. Other skeptics seemed to behave similarly, viewing YEC and Flat Earth as two separate issues unless it was explicitly stated otherwise. Methinks it is the article that may have a distorted view of skeptics.

I have met a very few YECs that were also Flat-Earthers but I've also encountered non-religious Flat-Earthers. Every last one of them was more cracked than a failed egg-drop challenge regardless of religion or lack thereof.

If you haven't killed enough braincells with that can anybody make sense of their "Biblical Evidence"? I know that different people have different interpretations of various passages in the Bible but I can't for the life of me see how any of those could be even remotely related.
How on the earth do they contort those verses?

From the linked article:

I don't think those bible verses are legit, and it sorta reads like humor?
I think it's meant to be humor. Either that or someone needs to cut the dosage of their meds! Lol

Poe's Law. Sadly, I've met one of these in real life and he claimed to be a FELFAT member. Mind you, he needed to up the dosage on his meds so that may not mean much.

I am not a "flat earther". However, why would anyone post on here, in defense of a flat earth belief, when they have already been deemed "crazy" with that post getting 2 "likes"?
The atmosphere is far from accepting of an alternate view and the reasons behind it.

Let me just point out. When looking at this article from an analytical view.... the author states that "Isaiah 40: 22 reveals that God sits “above the circle of the earth.” Now, note the word for circle is only used in other scripts as circle, not ball. There are words that translate to "ball" but it is not used here. Therefore, this point is actually a point for the flat earth belief as the round earth should not be described as a circle but as a ball.

Again, the author says.. He is referring to one moment in time but it is during different times of the day for various people.
Basically stating that the earth cannot be flat due to some people sleeping, and in an area that is night time while others are in daylight.

Another mute point as anyone who has had the integrity to research the opponents ideas, would see that the flat earth model, obviously, includes some areas being night while others are day..... this is insulting to the argument.

Next, they say...He observed the length of shadow cast in Alexandria (Egypt) and that no shadow was cast near Aswan (Egypt) on the summer solstice.
Again, a test that is dependent only on the angle of the suns rays. It would work equally well on a flat or globe earth...

Instead of labeling people as "crazy", just because they think differently, try looking at their view and why they believe.

I am not a "flat earther". However, why would anyone post on here, in defense of a flat earth belief, when they have already been deemed "crazy" with that post getting 2 "likes"?
The atmosphere is far from accepting of an alternate view and the reasons behind it.

Let me just point out. When looking at this article from an analytical view.... the author states that "Isaiah 40: 22 reveals that God sits “above the circle of the earth.” Now, note the word for circle is only used in other scripts as circle, not ball. There are words that translate to "ball" but it is not used here. Therefore, this point is actually a point for the flat earth belief as the round earth should not be described as a circle but as a ball.

Again, the author says.. He is referring to one moment in time but it is during different times of the day for various people.
Basically stating that the earth cannot be flat due to some people sleeping, and in an area that is night time while others are in daylight.

Another mute point as anyone who has had the integrity to research the opponents ideas, would see that the flat earth model, obviously, includes some areas being night while others are day..... this is insulting to the argument.

Next, they say...He observed the length of shadow cast in Alexandria (Egypt) and that no shadow was cast near Aswan (Egypt) on the summer solstice.
Again, a test that is dependent only on the angle of the suns rays. It would work equally well on a flat or globe earth...

Instead of labeling people as "crazy", just because they think differently, try looking at their view and why they believe.
I looked I laughed I forgot about it. I even went round and round and one can not go round and round on a flat earth.

I looked I laughed I forgot about it. I even went round and round and one can not go round and round on a flat earth.
See, this is exactly what I mean... "one can not go round and round on a flat earth"...

You state this yet do not think. You can, in fact, go round and round on a flat earth. If you took the time to actually have some respect for your opponent in this debate, you would take a look at what they are saying and suggesting.

I have looked at their view. I have researched their ideas. There are some views that make sense while, at the same time, I have my own personal reasons for still believing in the globe.

If you have not listened to their argument, and not actually taken the time to comprehend what they are suggesting, you don't have the right to argue or condescend them. You are arrogant in your view and just go on laughing, based on what you have been told by others. You may end up being the one laughed at in the end.

People, you are responding with nonsense. I can tell by your posts that you have not taken the time to really look at what they are saying. It is obvious. If you had, you would not state what you do.

Here is a challenge that was given to me...

Without using NASA or the Military, but using your own abilities and observations.....prove the globe is true.....Warning, it's not as easy as it sounds. I have my points but you must find your own.

People, you are responding with nonsense. I can tell by your posts that you have not taken the time to really look at what they are saying. It is obvious. If you had, you would not state what you do.

Here is a challenge that was given to me...

Without using NASA or the Military, but using your own abilities and observations.....prove the globe is true.....Warning, it's not as easy as it sounds. I have my points but you must find your own.
And just why should such a challenge exclude the use of NASA or the military? Because flat earthers likely tend to be conspiracy theorists. People have flown around the world and others have sailed. When one is high enough in an airplane one can see the curvature.

There is zero reason to dismiss NASA and the military as it would require a conspiracy of massive proportions that would be utterly impossible to keep quiet. As for those who use the Bible, they will use God sitting above the "circle of the earth" and conclude that the earth is a flat circle, all the while ignoring Rev.7:1 where there are "angels standing at the four corners of the earth," or vice versa. Circles didn't have corners the last time I took math, but perhaps that was NASA based math.

The whole idea of a flat earth is just silly.

See, this is exactly what I mean... "one can not go round and round on a flat earth"...

You state this yet do not think. You can, in fact, go round and round on a flat earth. If you took the time to actually have some respect for your opponent in this debate, you would take a look at what they are saying and suggesting.

I have looked at their view. I have researched their ideas. There are some views that make sense while, at the same time, I have my own personal reasons for still believing in the globe.

If you have not listened to their argument, and not actually taken the time to comprehend what they are suggesting, you don't have the right to argue or condescend them. You are arrogant in your view and just go on laughing, based on what you have been told by others. You may end up being the one laughed at in the end.
I have read several articles on flat earth I believe in a round earth.

How on the earth do they contort those verses?

Is that their proof?! They say that if you torture the text enough, that you can make it say anything you want lol. But I can't make any of those verses say the earth is flat. Those guys are cuckoo :screwloose2

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back