Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Where do you draw the line?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I'm 17 years old and a senior in high school. I'm going to turn eighteen in the winter of 2012.

My dad does not want me to drive so I don't have my permit or any driving experience outside of the manuals I've been reading. So far I have the basics down and the road signs and rules from the reading I've been doing. My dad is somewhat insecure and doesn't allow anyone in the family to drive besides himself, even my mom and my sister who is 19 and already has her high school diploma. I think he's afraid that we may leave him if he allows us to drive because he grew up an orphan, not knowing his mother or father.

I do plan on leaving eventually and going to college to begin my own life, but I won't just pick up and run away once I get my license. He does all the driving from taking us to the grocery store or and other places, but when he doesn't feel like going to places such as my friend's house or after school clubs, then I simply can't go.

I asked him to let me take the driver's ed class my high school offers for free, but he said something along the lines of "I don't have your mother driving, so why would I let you drive?" When I say I want to learn how to drive, he doesn't take me seriously and makes jokes about learning how to ride a bike first.

I know I am supposed to obey may father, but where does the line end (and does it end?). Would it be okay to move out when I'm eighteen against my dad's will?

I am a straight A student, respectful of both of my parents and hardworking. I love my dad and don't want to upset him. Any advice?

Hey there. For me, the line is probably this; "Respect your parents wishes unless a) their wishes contradict God's standards or b) you've become of age.

Once you have become of age you can still respect them but you are free to live the life you choose. I would suggest just waiting until you are 18, even if it's hard to do so.

I know how a parent's/person's insecurities can prevent other people from being free. The best thing is to remain respect and perhaps try to reason your way through the situation. Ask your dad simple, logical questions such as "At what age do you think it would be alright for me to drive?"

Back