Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Which Bible translation do you use?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
A

Aslan

I was curious which translation(s) people here use for study and why.

I use the NIV for most of my reading and will use other translations to compare against for study. I find that the NIV has a good balance between word for word and idea for idea translation. I would never recommend to only use one translation in study, not all translations are the same or perfect.

I find the KJV hard to understand at times and not very easy to read, the NKJV is a better translation. The Message is OK, but it is just too different than what I am used to.

Let me know your thoughts.

I agree with everything except studying the Message, maybe good to read for stories, but not something to study for very specific content since it is a paraphrase.
I tend to use several translations also. My current favorite is the NASB, good translation and is fairly easy to read.

Well, I primarily use NASB’ Life Application Study Bible because of the helpful comments about the passages in the Bible. For the most part, however; I also use other translations to get a balanced understanding of scripture (I basically look through KJV, NIV, and some other translations from time to time). I generally like to use NASB the most because it is the easiest for me to understand and it is the most literal.

I believe that the King James Bible /Authorized Version of the English Bible is the best, most faithful and accurate translation of the two Providentially preserved texts. (Masoretic Hebrew & the Traditional Greek Text.) I believe the Bible was originally written by a process of the plenary, verbal, inspiration of God that the Bible is infallible and of unlimited inerrancy...that means modern verisons which use the critical or eclectic text and eclectic method can not and in no way be the Word of God. This view doesn't mean a good modern translation can't be had, but it does mean we need to use the proper manuscript. The NKJ uses the eclectic text method to 'correct' the word of God.

Jason
(plenary=the very words of Scripture are given by God.)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back