Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Which is the true Bible

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Classik

I keep wondering why some bibles have extra books added to them, and some do not have these additions. Some contain completely strange translation! And I know that God seriously warned that no man should add or subtract from His word.
Rev22:18-19, Deut.4:2; 12:32, Prov. 30:5-6, etc.
Based on this instruction, which is the right one to use? I currently have the NKJV.
I do not know if this kind of question has already been posted before. If it has, pls, I need the link. (I do not wish that this should cause confusion - and earnestly I have been worried)

Any Catholic Bible (I believe) usually has more books. Other Bibles leave out verses (like most new bibles leave out Acts 8:37).
Personally, I don't think any extra books were God-inspired, as they were added much later on, so I don't use a Catholic Bible. And I like a Bible with all of its verses, and it is said that every word of the Lord is sacred. So I usually use the King James Version because aside from having everything in it, I just like the language. But the New King James version is very good as well, and provides accurate, understandable translations. Just my :twocents

Hi Classik!

They are all translated, I use the American Standard, but I'm sure other people have varying opinions.

Which translation has different books added?

Oh, Cheyenne just mentioned the Catholic Bible, didn't think of that one.

Hi Classik!

They are all translated, I use the American Standard, but I'm sure other people have varying opinions.

I believe Catholic Bibles have other books added and if you see any version that says "with Apocrypha" they do too.

Hi Classik!

Oh, Cheyenne just mentioned the Catholic Bible, didn't think of that one.

I do not remember the translation. I saw the book at a friend's place. This bible contains over 5 books not found in translations like NKJV, NIV, RSV etc.

Also, a preacher visited our area and was reading out something from a (strange) bible. Everything looks like a deliberate falsification. I left when the preacher concluded that Heaven is the beautiful cities on earth. I fled!!

I do not remember the translation. I saw the book at a friend's place. This bible contains over 5 books not found in translations like NKJV, NIV, RSV etc.

Also, a preacher visited our area and was reading out something from a (strange) bible. Everything looks like a deliberate falsification. I left when the preacher concluded that Heaven is the beautiful cities on earth. I fled!!

Was it this verse?

Revelation 21:2 And I saw <SUP class=xref value='(A)'></SUP>the holy city, <SUP class=xref value='(B)'></SUP>new Jerusalem, <SUP class=xref value='(C)'></SUP>coming down out of heaven from God, <SUP class=xref value='(D)'></SUP>made ready as a bride adorned for her husband.

It would be interesting to know which translation it was, with the falsification.

Welcome to the site, btw. :)

What do you mean by "new bibles"?

Mostly modern translations. I apologize, because that's pretty vague actually, especially given what I deem new and what's considered modern. xP

That would include the NIV (for the NIV, I guess there are different translations of the NIV, and only one contains a cliffnote in regards to this verse), NLT, the Common English Bible, the Contemporary English Version, the Darby translation, the English Standard Version, God's Word Translation, the Good News Translation, and the Message (but that's a paraphrase, so I'm not sure if you want to count that).
Including the various NIV versions, that's 12/25 of the English translations I know of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mostly modern translations. I apologize, because that's pretty vague actually, especially given what I deem new and what's considered modern. xP

That would include the NIV (for the NIV, I guess there are different translations of the NIV, and only one contains a cliffnote in regards to this verse), NLT, the Common English Bible, the Contemporary English Version, the Darby translation, the English Standard Version, God's Word Translation, the Good News Translation, and the Message (but that's a paraphrase, so I'm not sure if you want to count that).
Including the various NIV versions, that's 12/25 of the English translations I know of.
Thanks. That is quite interesting. I am definatley going to do some research on that one.

Interesting that you mention the ESV, as I've heard it uses some KJ manuscripts. :chin

Was it this verse?

Revelation 21:2 And I saw <SUP class=xref value='(A)'></SUP>the holy city, <SUP class=xref value='(B)'></SUP>new Jerusalem, <SUP class=xref value='(C)'></SUP>coming down out of heaven from God, <SUP class=xref value='(D)'></SUP>made ready as a bride adorned for her husband.

It would be interesting to know which translation it was, with the falsification.

Welcome to the site, btw. :)

Thanks, dear, and sorry for late reply.
At first I tried listening to the preacher. We were many then. But the moment the preacher looked around and pointed at a structure in front of us, saying:
'That flamboyant building over there,' he'd pointed with a gesture of his arm, 'belonging to that rich sinner,'

Here he was referring to one of the richest men in my area whose building he HAD admired Che is late now - the preacher)
'That building is mine!' He had concluded.
His doctrine nearly made me puke for he had also added that earth is heaven. By 'heaven' he meant excellent buildings - and luxury. No need staying. I fled before another bombshell could land.
For his translation I did not bother to know. Similar people still flood my area. One strange thing is they refused the NKJV and emphasised theirs. I do not pay attention anymore. If I could have another interaction with them...I could try asking.

Thanks. That is quite interesting. I am definatley going to do some research on that one.

Interesting that you mention the ESV, as I've heard it uses some KJ manuscripts. :chin

It is. I was surprised so many don't have the verse. I heard it first in Christian Club at school, because we all prefer to use the KJV there and the teacher was telling me about it. Then I saw it in my Amplified Bible, as the text was italicized and it said many version do not include it. So I looked it up on biblegateway.com and that's when I found out how many don't use it. It's just really weird.

Thanks, dear, and sorry for late reply.
At first I tried listening to the preacher. We were many then. But the moment the preacher looked around and pointed at a structure in front of us, saying:
'That flamboyant building over there,' he'd pointed with a gesture of his arm, 'belonging to that rich sinner,'

Here he was referring to one of the richest men in my area whose building he HAD admired Che is late now - the preacher)
'That building is mine!' He had concluded.
His doctrine nearly made me puke for he had also added that earth is heaven. By 'heaven' he meant excellent buildings - and luxury. No need staying. I fled before another bombshell could land.
For his translation I did not bother to know. Similar people still flood my area. One strange thing is they refused the NKJV and emphasised theirs. I do not pay attention anymore. If I could have another interaction with them...I could try asking.
Maybe you should just stay away from them! :)

I keep wondering why some bibles have extra books added to them, and some do not have these additions. Some contain completely strange translation! And I know that God seriously warned that no man should add or subtract from His word.
Rev22:18-19, Deut.4:2; 12:32, Prov. 30:5-6, etc.
Based on this instruction, which is the right one to use? I currently have the NKJV.
I do not know if this kind of question has already been posted before. If it has, pls, I need the link. (I do not wish that this should cause confusion - and earnestly I have been worried)

From my research the Authorized King James Bible is the most accurate Bible. I did read the GNB and NIV for years, but amazingly my spiritual growth took off when i began reading the AKJV! So from my own experience and from my fellow AKJV readers we agree that the AKJV is the true English Bible and we are most pleased with it.

I have studied the NKJV, it is not a new KJV!

To see that i recommend FAQ's Concerning Bible Versions as a kind of start in learning about Bible Versions. Ask me about any other information.

From my research the Authorized King James Bible is the most accurate Bible. I did read the GNB and NIV for years, but amazingly my spiritual growth took off when i began reading the AKJV! So from my own experience and from my fellow AKJV readers we agree that the AKJV is the true English Bible and we are most pleased with it.

what is the difference between the AKJV and the others (except the ones with extra chapters and misinterpretations/falsification - like that guy's own, i.e. The preacher whose heaven is on earth)

Just one note about Acts 8:37 and why it is omitted from some "newer" translations.

Here is a quote from a website that might explain the rationale behind this.

Question: "Why are the newer translations of the Bible missing verses?"

Answer: If you compare the King James and New King James Versions with the newer translations (e.g. the New International Version, New American Standard, New Living Translation, etc.) - you will notice that several verses are entirely missing from the newer translations. Examples are John 5:4, Acts 8:37, and 1 John 5:7. Mark 16:9-20 is another example, although it is always placed in the text or in footnotes. Why do these translations not have these verses? Are the newer translations taking verses out of the Bible?

The answer is that the translators did not believe these verses should have been in the Bible to begin with. Since the KJV was translated in A.D. 1611, many Biblical manuscripts have been discovered that are older and more accurate than the manuscripts the KJV was based on. When Bible scholars researched through these manuscripts, they discovered some differences. It seems that over the course of 1500 years, some words, phrases, and even sentences were added to the Bible (either intentionally or accidentally). The verses mentioned above are simply not found in the oldest and most reliable manuscripts. So, the newer translations remove these verses or place them in footnotes or in the margin because they do not truly belong in the Bible.

It is important to remember, however, that the verses in question are of minor significance. None of them change in any way the crucial themes of the Bible, nor do they have any impact on the Bible’s doctrines—Jesus’ death, burial and resurrection, Christ as the only the way of salvation, heaven and hell, sin and redemption, and the nature and character of God. These are preserved intact through the work of the Holy Spirit, who safeguards the Word of God for all generations.

Just one note about Acts 8:37 and why it is omitted from some "newer" translations.

Here is a quote from a website that might explain the rationale behind this.
:thumbsup

I was tempted to say something before. The presumption is that the newer translations are missing verses when it is just as likely that they perhaps shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Back