Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Who Is Called God In the Bible?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
A

Asyncritus

I believe that if we grasp this single point - that God's Representatives are often called 'God' in the Bible, then this will go a long way to clearing up some of the major misunderstandings I see on the forum.

Here is the proof of that fact:

WHO IS CALLED ‘GOD’ IN THE BIBLE?

1 ANGELS:

Exodus 3.2 : And the angel of the Lord appeared unto him [Moses] in a flame of fire…
4 And when the Lord saw that he turned aside to see…
Moreover he said, I am the God of thy father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob…

Acts 7. 40 ‘…and angel appeared to him in the wilderness….there came a voice of the Lord, saying ‘I am the God of Abraham….’

Exodus 19: 18 ‘And Mount Sinai was altogether on smoke, because the LORD descended upon it in fire…
20: ‘ and the LORD came down upon Mount Sinai…’

And said

20.2 ‘I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt…’

So who said this?

Heb 2.2 ‘For if the word spoken through angels proved stedfast…’

Ex 20.20 Behold I send an Angel before thee… take heed of him, and hearken unto his voice; provoke him not; for he will not pardon your transgressions, FOR MY NAME IS IN HIM.

22 But if thou shalt indeed hearken unto his voice, and do ALL THAT I SPEAK, then…

Judges 6.12 And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him and said…
14 and the LORD looked upon him and said,…

13.20 …and the angel of the LORD ascended in the flame of the altar
22: And Manoah said unto his wife, We shall surely die because we have seen God…

2 MEN

Psalm 82: 6 I have said, Ye are gods
And all of you are sons of the most High.
7 Nevertheless ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes…

3 THE FATHER

1 Cor 8.6 : But unto us there is but one God, the Father…

4 JESUS

But unto the Son He saith, Thy throne O God is forever and ever…

5 IDOLS

1Cor 8.5 For though there be that are called gods…

From all this, and this is but a selection, it is obvious that anyone who speaks on the behalf of God, as His representative, is also called ‘God’.

There is plenty of good reasons to think so: because an ambassador is treated as the king of the kingdom, because he is the REPRESENTATIVE of the king, and must be treated with the same deference and respect that the king would be receive.

Therefore, Jesus, the Supreme and Greatest of God’s Representatives ever to grace this planet, is also called God .

But just as the ambassador is never equal to the King he serves and represents, just so the Lord is not equal to His Father, and makes that abundantly plain:

“My Father is greater than Iâ€

If it is your purpose to deny that Jesus and God are one - then I do stand opposed. If, on the other hand, you simply wish to declare that God (who is invisible and Spirit) has revealed Himself to mankind through various and wonderful ways? Then I would not object in the least.

We know that Jesus died for our sins and that God can not die. Does this mean that he was not filled with the Spirit of God? He was. Upon that flesh was poured the Spirit without measure to the effect that he rightly declared that none (other than Him) has seen the Father. And it wasn't his word only - but the very testimony of God who spoke from the clouds and was heard on earth. He received glory and honor from God:

"And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased." - Matthew 3:17 KJV

"While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him." - Matthew 17:5 KJV

"And there was a cloud that overshadowed them: and a voice came out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him." - Mark 9:7 KJV

"And there came a voice out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him." - Luke 9:35 KJV

I believe that if we grasp this single point - that God's Representatives are often called 'God' in the Bible, then this will go a long way to clearing up some of the major misunderstandings I see on the forum.

1 ANGELS:

Exodus 3.2 : And the angel of the Lord appeared unto him [Moses] in a flame of fire…
Moreover he said, I am the God of thy father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob…

Acts 7. 40 ‘…and angel appeared to him in the wilderness….there came a voice of the Lord, saying ‘I am the God of Abraham….’

Exodus 19: 18 ‘And Mount Sinai was altogether on smoke, because the LORD descended upon it in fire…

And said

So who said this?

Ex 20.20 Behold I send an Angel before thee… take heed of him, and hearken unto his voice; provoke him not; for he will not pardon your transgressions, FOR MY NAME IS IN HIM.

22 But if thou shalt indeed hearken unto his voice, and do ALL THAT I SPEAK, then…

22: And Manoah said unto his wife, We shall surely die because we have seen God…

2 MEN

3 THE FATHER

4 JESUS

5 IDOLS

From all this, and this is but a selection, it is obvious that anyone who speaks on the behalf of God, as His representative, is also called ‘God’.

There is plenty of good reasons to think so: because an ambassador is treated as the king of the kingdom, because he is the REPRESENTATIVE of the king, and must be treated with the same deference and respect that the king would be receive.

Therefore, Jesus, the Supreme and Greatest of God’s Representatives ever to grace this planet, is also called God .

But just as the ambassador is never equal to the King he serves and represents, just so, the Lord is not equal to His Father, and makes that abundantly plain:

“[FONT=Georgia, serif]But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came. [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe. [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]then[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]Peace [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]be [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]unto you.[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] Then saith he to Thomas, [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]it[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] And Thomas answered and [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]said unto him, My Lord and my God[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]. [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]Jesus saith unto him, [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]Thomas, because thou hast seen me, [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]thou hast believed[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]: blessed [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]are[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] they that have not seen, and [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]yet[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] have believed[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif].†(Jn 20:24-29)[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]What was it Thomas believed? He Believed that Jesus is both our Lord and our God and Jesus did not rebuke him, but rather said, “[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]because thou hast seen me, [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]thou hast believed[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif].â€[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]The Lord Jesus said, “[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]that al l[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]should honour the Son, [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]just as[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]†(Jn 5:22-23) No more, NO LESS.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]We find in Revelation 21:5-7 “And he that [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]sat upon the throne[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] said, [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]Behold, I make all things new.[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] And he (the Lord Jesus) said unto me, [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]Write: for these words are true and faithful.[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] And he (the Lord Jesus) said unto me, [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]He that overcometh shall inherit all things; [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]and I will be his God[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif], and he shall be my son.[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]†(Rev 21:5-7)[/FONT]

“[FONT=Georgia, serif]For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif].†(Col 2:9)[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]PRAISE YOU JESUS! KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.[/FONT]

If it is your purpose to deny that Jesus and God are one - then I do stand opposed. If, on the other hand, you simply wish to declare that God (who is invisible and Spirit) has revealed Himself to mankind through various and wonderful ways? Then I would not object in the least.

It is most certainly not my intention to do so. But please see my response to TonkaTim on the John's gospel thread.

We know that Jesus died for our sins and that God can not die. Does this mean that he was not filled with the Spirit of God? He was. Upon that flesh was poured the Spirit without measure to the effect that he rightly declared that none (other than Him) has seen the Father. And it wasn't his word only - but the very testimony of God who spoke from the clouds and was heard on earth. He received glory and honor from God:

I could not have said it better myself.

"And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased." - Matthew 3:17 KJV

"While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him." - Matthew 17:5 KJV

"And there was a cloud that overshadowed them: and a voice came out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him." - Mark 9:7 KJV

"And there came a voice out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him." - Luke 9:35 KJV

Absolutely splendid.

Asyncritus

Hey sdktlk

Do you believe John 14.28? "My Father is greater than I"?

[FONT=Georgia, serif]
PRAISE YOU JESUS! KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.
[/FONT]
So He is. But where is your praise of the God who did all this for Him?
Psalm 2: 6

"Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion"

Who is the King? Jesus.

Who did the setting of Him as King? God. Did you miss that?

So don't you think the God who did all this for Him deserves just a little bit of your praise?

Just a teensy weensy lickle bit? Huh?

Hey sdktlk

Do you believe John 14.28? "My Father is greater than I"?

So He is. But where is your praise of the God who did all this for Him?
Psalm 2: 6

"Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion"

Who is the King? Jesus.

Who did the setting of Him as King? God. Did you miss that?

So don't you think the God who did all this for Him deserves just a little bit of your praise?

Just a teensy weensy lickle bit? Huh?

We will get into the semantics of the "trinity" here and I don't think that is profitable. Peace.

1 ANGELS:

And said

So who said this?

2 MEN

3 THE FATHER

4 JESUS

5 IDOLS

But just as the ambassador is never equal to the King he serves and represents, just so, the Lord is not equal to His Father, and makes that abundantly plain:

I would accuse you of trying to be funny but blasphemy is never funny. Jesus is the God of the Old Testament (John 1:1-3). Your proff tests are pulled out of their contexts and your post is a great example of the origin o0f heresy.

I would accuse you of trying to be funny but blasphemy is never funny. Jesus is the God of the Old Testament (John 1:1-3). Your proff tests are pulled out of their contexts and your post is a great example of the origin o0f heresy.
Yup.

Wow!

Can I have some proff of that, so everybody can see exactly how much context-pulling-out-of I have done?

If you can't do that, then perhaps an apology is in order. But I'll leave that to your conscience.

No semantics involved.

Merely giving the glory due to God. As He says, 'My glory will I not give to another'.

And yet...

"I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was." - John 17:4-5 KJV

And yet...

"I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was." - John 17:4-5 KJV

2 Cor 4.17

"...worketh FOR US a far more exceeding and ETERNAL weight of glory".

If 'eternal' then our glory, too, was present from the beginning - as we were:

Eph 1: 4 ..as he hath chosen us in him BEFORE THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD

Needs to be understood carefully.

Christ's glory was laid up for Him since a long, long time ago.

So is ours:

Mat 26.34: ...inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world...

I think it means that all the arrangements have been made since then.

As we join with God and follow after His Spirit, as we allow Him to do the work through us then yes, His glory is seen upon us. The fact that the glory seen continues to be His is undisputed.

Perhaps I didn't understand your point? Would you mind stating what is on your mind exactly? Oftentimes people title threads in question format when they actually want to make a statement. A concise statement of your belief would be helpful here, methinks. For instance, is there a difference between Jesus' statement, "I and my Father are one," and what might be heard from the mouths of other "gods"? Why is he the only one who can rightly say, "None has seen the Father except the son,"?

Lets remember:

1 - This is a Christian site, therefore, any attempt to put down Christianity and the basic tenets of our Faith will be considered a hostile act. See our Statement of Faith

I'll ask the same question I usually ask:

Do we have one Savior or two Saviors?

Lets remember:

Actually we have two, although the New testament directs toward Yahshua as savior. By Yahwah through Yahshua we find salvation. Yah-shua: Interpretation; "God's Salvation." Yah-shua: Translation; "Life Savior."

As we join with God and follow after His Spirit, as we allow Him to do the work through us then yes, His glory is seen upon us. The fact that the glory seen continues to be His is undisputed.

Perhaps I didn't understand your point? Would you mind stating what is on your mind exactly? Oftentimes people title threads in question format when they actually want to make a statement. A concise statement of your belief would be helpful here, methinks. For instance, is there a difference between Jesus' statement, "I and my Father are one," and what might be heard from the mouths of other "gods"? Why is he the only one who can rightly say, "None has seen the Father except the son,"?

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, the Maker of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord:

Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried;
He descended into hell. [=the grave]
The third day He arose again from the dead;
He ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty;from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Ghost; the holy catholic church; [the word 'catholic' here means 'universal, open to all without distinction', not the Roman catholic church]

the communion of saints;the forgiveness of sins;the resurrection of the body;and the life everlasting.

That expresses my beliefs perfectly, and cannot be gainsaid.

Why is he the only one who can rightly say, "None has seen the Father except the son,"

A slight misquotation:

John 6.46 Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father.

Note the 'OF' there? He did not say 'he which is God' which would have perfectly conveyed the meaning I think you are expressing.

Incidentally, I can't find the quotation you're using. Is it this:

1.18 No man has seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he has declared him.

If it is, then you can see that it is John (the writer) who is saying this, after Jesus' ascension. The proof of that lies in the words 'who is in the bosom of the Father' i.e at His right hand.

Lets remember:

If you will accept the scriptural usage of the term 'saviour' then it becomes obvious that God is the ultimate Saviour, and that He has appointed others, thus:

Jud 6:36 And Gideon said unto God, If thou wilt save Israel by mine hand, as thou hast said,
Jud 6:37 Behold, I will put a fleece of wool in the floor; and if the dew be on the fleece only, and it be dry upon all the earth beside, then shall I know that thou wilt save Israel by mine hand, as thou hast said.

2Ki 13:5 (And the LORD gave Israel a saviour, so that they went out from under the hand of the Syrians: and the children of Israel dwelt in their tents, as beforetime.

The last and greatest such Saviour is of course the Lord Jesus. As God says of Him:

Isa 49:6 And he said, It is a light thing that thou shouldest be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth.

This prophecy is fulfilled in Christ:

Lk.2 11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

2Ti 1:10 But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:

Mt 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

So Jesus is the Saviour, sent by God, to save us from our sins. The apostles say so too:

Ac 5:31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.
Ac 13:23 Of this man’s seed hath God according to his promise raised unto Israel a Saviour, Jesus:

But at the end of the day, it is God who saves us, and His great agent, is Jesus.

I think that is a fair statement of the case, and I trust that you agree with it.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back