Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Who Is "HE" That Is Taken Out Of The Way ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Unchecked Copy Box
2Th 2:7
For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.

Who is He ?
Who Takes him out of the way ?
When is he taken out of the way ?
Why is he taken out of the way?

Okay then how about the "mystery of iniquity "
What in the world is that?
And is it in the world as we speak ?
Sure sounds sinister whatever it is .

He is God who will let the iniquity that is the Luciferian system that controls world wide economics, political, military, educational, environmental and false religious system from the time of Babylon throughout all four Empires as in things that must come first before the return of Christ. It will be Christ by the brightness of His coming, 2Thessalonians 2:8, that by the very words He speaks of their destruction will then destroy this beast system and it's false prophet casting them alive into the lake of fire, Rev 19:11-20.

He is God who will let the iniquity that is the Luciferian system that controls world wide economics, political, military, educational, environmental and false religious system from the time of Babylon throughout all four Empires as in things that must come first before the return of Christ. It will be Christ by the brightness of His coming, 2Thessalonians 2:8, that by the very words He speaks of their destruction will then destroy this beast system and it's false prophet casting them alive into the lake of fire, Rev 19:11-20.
FHG, thank you for your response .
I find it does make sense in some ways but one thing the language says to me is that this "he" is being spoken about in the second person :
" ... he be taken out of the way."
If you are being "taken out of the way" , then somebody else is the one taking you out of the way.
At least that is how it is speaking to me .

Its talking about Michael holding satan in place, in heaven. It's a transitive verb. You must supply a object. Its Michael holding satan in place in heaven, second thessalonians chapter 2. Go to revelation chapter 12, Michael and his angels boot satan and fallen angels to earth. Some people lost the ability to understand a subject. I'm not talking down to anyone. When Jesus is ready, he will order Michael to boot satan to earth, the 6th trump. Satan will go into his role as antichrist. Satan is play actor, he plays different roles. This isn't complicated. Friends, were real close to the 6th trump. Are you watching current events that align with bible prophecy and Signs. Their was 7.9 major earthquake in Turkey and Syria. People would be blind as bat to not make a connection with Jesus prophecy of Matthew chapter 24. Were hearing peace TREATYS and peace accords. Its written in thessalonians chapter 5, about, sudden destruction shall come upon them. It's happening, and some people have spirit of slumber. They don't understand.

Its talking about Michael holding satan in place, in heaven. It's a transitive verb. You must supply a object. Its Michael holding satan in place in heaven, second thessalonians chapter 2. Go to revelation chapter 12, Michael and his angels boot satan and fallen angels to earth. Some people lost the ability to understand a subject.
Anaphora, thank you for your response .
For me it is clear from scripture that Satan and his minions already have access to the earth.
On a shorter leash than he would like however.
After all Satan was present in the upper room at the Last Supper, and Christ himself had spoke prior to that of His witnessing Satan's fall to earth .

Unchecked Copy Box
Luk 10:18
And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.

In addition if a person is being let go, set free, released from constraint, for a negative purpose as you suggest , then by definition he is not being " taken out of the way" , he is more accurately being freed to obstruct.
To get " in the way ".
That would be my understanding.

FHG, thank you for your response .
I find it does make sense in some ways but one thing the language says to me is that this "he" is being spoken about in the second person :
" ... he be taken out of the way."
If you are being "taken out of the way" , then somebody else is the one taking you out of the way.
At least that is how it is speaking to me .
I agree as I believe the one being taken out of the way will be the son of perdition and then later on after Satan is bound and released he too will be taken out of the way that he can no longer deceive the nations as all God's enemies will be cast into the lake of fire and we will be with the Lord for eternity.

Unchecked Copy Box
For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.

Who is He ?
I was just studying that, here is what I have so far on this..
The apostle Paul made a prediction in 2 Thessalonians that a gigantic apostasy would take place within the Christian church before the Second Coming of Christ. We find,
“1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him, 2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand. 3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;” 2 Thessalonians 2:1–3.

The words “falling away” come from the Greek word “apostasia,” from which we get the English word “apostasy.” It means a falling away or a departure from the truth. Now we are told when this apostasy was going to happen if we look at 2 Thessalonians 2:7..

2 Thessalonians 2:7 King James Version (KJV)

2 Thessalonians 2:7 (New International Version)
For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way.

2 Thessalonians 2:7 (New Living Translation)
For this lawlessness is already at work secretly, and it will remain secret until the one who is holding it back steps out of the way

So what is this mystery of iniquity, this lawlessness already at work secretly, and what is holding it back. Well lets start with the power holding it back. As for many years, many centuries, Rome was invincible withs its legions marching over opposing armies. Its laws and empire stretched out from Rome and crushed those who would challenge it, but it too finally faded and it stopped holding back what prophecy had foretold.

The Geneva Study Bible gives this " He foretells that when the empire of Rome is taken away, the seat that falls away from God will succeed and hold its place, as the old writers, Tertullian, Chrysostom, and Jerome explain and interpret it... He who is now in authority and rules all, that is, the Roman Empire"

John Wesley Exploritory notes say " He will surely be revealed; for the mystery - The deep, secret power of iniquity, just opposite to the power of godliness, already worketh. It began with the love of honour, and the desire of power; and is completed in the entire subversion of the gospel of Christ. This mystery of iniquity is not wholly confined to the Romish church, but extends itself to others also. It seems to consist of, Human inventions added to the written word. Mere outside performances put in the room of faith and love. Other mediators besides the man Christ Jesus. The two last branches, together with idolatry and bloodshed, are the direct consequences of the former; namely, the adding to the word of God. Already worketh - In the church. Only he that restraineth - That is, the potentate who successively has Rome in his power. The emperors, heathen or Christian; the kings, Goths or Lombards; the Carolingian or German emperors."

Jerome (347-420): "Says the apostle [Paul in the second epistle to the Thessalonians], 'Unless the Roman Empire should first be desolated, and antichrist proceed, Christ will not come.'"

So what is this mystery:

Revelation 17:5,9
And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.
9And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth.

In the day of the Apostle John, the city of Rome was famed for its situation of encompassing seven hills, i.e., Capitolinus, Palatinus, Aventinus, Esquilinus, Coelius, Viminalis, and Quirinalis, as noticed by Virgil, Horace, Ovid, Claudian, Starius, Martial, and others.

The mystery of Babylon had been a power which brought corruption of man and lawlessness. It had been known more by what it did to deceive and substitute itself above God. So the man of sin, the son of perdition is being held back, but what is this exactly. In John 17:12 we see the name of it.
"While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled." John 17:12

But Paul, as some claim, is not talking about Judas as he is already gone from the scene, so it must be a evil which comes into men. That which seeks to be like God and fights against Christ, a antichrist power. The apostle Paul warned that there will be a great apostasy before the second coming of Christ. As you read on, you will notice in 2 Thessalonians 2:5 that he said, "Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things? or basically, dont you remember that when I was still with you I told you these things? He had taught these things to the Christian churches, we see it also when speaking at Ephesus in Acts 20:29–31, "29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. 30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them. 31 Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears." Peter also told the churches, "But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction."2 Peter 2:1.

So the greatest danger for the Christian church was not the opposition from the pagan world outside, but from the apostasy which would take place inside. It would come from their own selves, men speaking perverse things to draw disciples away after them. History tells us how quickly it began to happen..
“No sooner were the apostles removed from the stage of action, no sooner was their watchful attentions gone and their apostolic authority removed, than this very thing appeared of which the apostle had spoken. Certain bishops, in order to make easier the conversion of the heathen, to multiply disciples, and by this increase their own influence and authority, began to adopt heathen customs and forms.” The Great Empires of Prophecy, 377, by Alonzo T. Jones.

It was in the interest of getting 'converts' that the apostasy began to come into the church at Rome. “In order to make easier the conversion of the heathen, to multiply disciples,” they lowered the standard for church fellowship not soon after the apostles’ death, and the apostasy began to spread.

Johann Mosheim in his writing 'Church History' had this to say concerning the church of the third century. "It is certain that to religious worship, both public and private, many rites were added, without necessity, and to the great offence of sober and good men. The principal cause of this I readily look for in the perverseness of mankind, who are more delighted with the pomp and splendor of external forms than with the true devotion of the heart; and who despise whatever does not gratify their eyes and ears. Also, there is good reason to suppose that the Christian bishops multiplied sacred rites for the sake of rendering the Jews and the Pagans more friendly to them, for both had been accustomed to numerous and splendid ceremonies from their infancy, and had no doubt that they constituted an essential part of religion."

They brought in pagan rites and customs and priests to say nothing of altars and 'relics' or 'sacred' objects that were basically the same things that were used in ancient pagan worship. The heathen religions, in the early part of the second century, were almost all centered around sun worship. They worshipped at the dawning of the day facing towards the east. And this was one of the first pagan customs that entered the Christian church. Christians were told in Rome they could continue the pagan festival as they were used to, and began to meet at the rising of the sun, on what they later called Easter Sunday. In addition to the day of the sun being adopted and continuing as a festival day, the people were then told and taught to fast on the Sabbath. So Sabbath began to take on a 'day of burden' much like the way the Pharisees had done, you could not eat on it and had to wait till 'festival day', so guess which one became more popular.

I agree as I believe the one being taken out of the way will be the son of perdition and then later on after Satan is bound and released he too will be taken out of the way that he can no longer deceive the nations as all God's enemies will be cast into the lake of fire and we will be with the Lord for eternity.
FHG,
I see " he who is taken out of the way" as a force for good who is on God's side.
And the "mystery of iniquity" being more associated with activity of Satan.
Thank you for your response.

I was just studying that, here is what I have so far on this..
The apostle Paul made a prediction in 2 Thessalonians that a gigantic apostasy would take place within the Christian church before the Second Coming of Christ. We find,
“1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him, 2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand. 3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;” 2 Thessalonians 2:1–3.

The words “falling away” come from the Greek word “apostasia,” from which we get the English word “apostasy.” It means a falling away or a departure from the truth. Now we are told when this apostasy was going to happen if we look at 2 Thessalonians 2:7..

2 Thessalonians 2:7 King James Version (KJV)

2 Thessalonians 2:7 (New International Version)
For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way.

2 Thessalonians 2:7 (New Living Translation)
For this lawlessness is already at work secretly, and it will remain secret until the one who is holding it back steps out of the way

So what is this mystery of iniquity, this lawlessness already at work secretly, and what is holding it back. Well lets start with the power holding it back. As for many years, many centuries, Rome was invincible withs its legions marching over opposing armies. Its laws and empire stretched out from Rome and crushed those who would challenge it, but it too finally faded and it stopped holding back what prophecy had foretold.

The Geneva Study Bible gives this " He foretells that when the empire of Rome is taken away, the seat that falls away from God will succeed and hold its place, as the old writers, Tertullian, Chrysostom, and Jerome explain and interpret it... He who is now in authority and rules all, that is, the Roman Empire"

John Wesley Exploritory notes say " He will surely be revealed; for the mystery - The deep, secret power of iniquity, just opposite to the power of godliness, already worketh. It began with the love of honour, and the desire of power; and is completed in the entire subversion of the gospel of Christ. This mystery of iniquity is not wholly confined to the Romish church, but extends itself to others also. It seems to consist of, Human inventions added to the written word. Mere outside performances put in the room of faith and love. Other mediators besides the man Christ Jesus. The two last branches, together with idolatry and bloodshed, are the direct consequences of the former; namely, the adding to the word of God. Already worketh - In the church. Only he that restraineth - That is, the potentate who successively has Rome in his power. The emperors, heathen or Christian; the kings, Goths or Lombards; the Carolingian or German emperors."

Jerome (347-420): "Says the apostle [Paul in the second epistle to the Thessalonians], 'Unless the Roman Empire should first be desolated, and antichrist proceed, Christ will not come.'"

So what is this mystery:

Revelation 17:5,9
And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.
9And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth.

In the day of the Apostle John, the city of Rome was famed for its situation of encompassing seven hills, i.e., Capitolinus, Palatinus, Aventinus, Esquilinus, Coelius, Viminalis, and Quirinalis, as noticed by Virgil, Horace, Ovid, Claudian, Starius, Martial, and others.

The mystery of Babylon had been a power which brought corruption of man and lawlessness. It had been known more by what it did to deceive and substitute itself above God. So the man of sin, the son of perdition is being held back, but what is this exactly. In John 17:12 we see the name of it.
"While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled." John 17:12

But Paul, as some claim, is not talking about Judas as he is already gone from the scene, so it must be a evil which comes into men. That which seeks to be like God and fights against Christ, a antichrist power. The apostle Paul warned that there will be a great apostasy before the second coming of Christ. As you read on, you will notice in 2 Thessalonians 2:5 that he said, "Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things? or basically, dont you remember that when I was still with you I told you these things? He had taught these things to the Christian churches, we see it also when speaking at Ephesus in Acts 20:29–31, "29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. 30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them. 31 Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears." Peter also told the churches, "But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction."2 Peter 2:1.

So the greatest danger for the Christian church was not the opposition from the pagan world outside, but from the apostasy which would take place inside. It would come from their own selves, men speaking perverse things to draw disciples away after them. History tells us how quickly it began to happen..
“No sooner were the apostles removed from the stage of action, no sooner was their watchful attentions gone and their apostolic authority removed, than this very thing appeared of which the apostle had spoken. Certain bishops, in order to make easier the conversion of the heathen, to multiply disciples, and by this increase their own influence and authority, began to adopt heathen customs and forms.” The Great Empires of Prophecy, 377, by Alonzo T. Jones.

It was in the interest of getting 'converts' that the apostasy began to come into the church at Rome. “In order to make easier the conversion of the heathen, to multiply disciples,” they lowered the standard for church fellowship not soon after the apostles’ death, and the apostasy began to spread.
reddogs,
I'm in agreement with that "the mystery of iniquity" is the progressive establishment of a world apostate religion.
After all who loves religion more than Satan ?
So it is a spiritual force of iniquity at work as we speak, but will become supercharged in advancing control once " he is taken out of the way" .
I see " he who is taken out of the way" an being a restraining Spiritual force of God who is pro-actively restraining evil to a degree as we speak, but will one day be dismissed from the task.

reddogs,
I'm in agreement with that "the mystery of iniquity" is the progressive establishment of a world apostate religion.
After all who loves religion more than Satan ?
So it is a spiritual force of iniquity at work as we speak, but will become supercharged in advancing control once " he is taken out of the way" .
I see " he who is taken out of the way" an being a restraining Spiritual force of God who is pro-actively restraining evil to a degree as we speak, but will one day be dismissed from the task.
Well, its already come up, as soon as Pagan Rome was being taken down Papal Rome was taking its place.
If you look in Rev. 13:2, the change from paganism to papacy is given, “And the dragon gave him [that is, the beast, papal Rome] his power, and his seat, and great authority.” It came up as Rome was a center along with Jerusalem of Christianity, but the papal power was growing and putting itself as the greater of equals, and it succeeded in exalting itself above the ruins of the empire of Pagan Rome. Paul, 2 Thess. 2:6-8, brings to view, when he represents the “mystery of the iniquity” as working, but obliged to wait for its full development until paganism which held sway and held back the power of the bishop of Rome be removed. You can read in history, of the rise of the papacy and the overthrow of paganism at Rome and eventually through the crumbling empire.

“In the last great persecution under Diocletian [A. D. 284-305], the bishops of Rome probably fled once more to the Catacombs. Their churches were torn down, their property confiscated, their sacred writings destroyed, and a vigorous effort was made to extirpate the powerful sect. But the effort was vain. Constantine soon afterward became emperor, and the Bishop of Rome emerged from the Catacombs to become one of the ruling powers of the world. This sudden change was followed by an almost total loss of the simplicity and purity of the days of persecution. Magnificent churches were erected by the emperor in Rome, adorned with images and pictures, where the bishop sat on a lofty throne, encircled by inferior priests, and performing rites borrowed from the splendid ceremonial of the pagan temple. The Bishop of Rome became a prince of the empire, and lived in a style of luxury and pomp that awakened the envy or the just indication of the heathen writer, Marcellinus. The church was now enriched by the gifts and bequests of the pious and the timid; the bishops drew great revenues from his farms in the Campagna and his rich plantations in Sicily; he rode through the streets of Rome in a stately chariot and clothed in gorgeous attire; his table was supplied with a profusion more than imperial; the proudest women of Rome loaded him with lavish donations, and followed him with their flatteries and attentions; and his haughty bearing and profuse luxury were remarked upon by both pagans and Christians as strangely inconsistent with the humility and simplicity enjoined by the faith which he professed. The bishopric of Rome now became a splendid prize, for which the ambitious and unprincipled contended by force or fraud.”—Historical Studies, pp. 17, 18.

Constantine became sole emperor of Western of Rome in 312 A.D. Shortly after (March, 313), he issued the famous Edict of Milan, which restored all forfeited civil and religious rights to the Christians, and it secured to them equal toleration with the pagans throughout the empire. This was an important step in advance. Gibbon, speaking of Constantine’s relation to Christianity, says: “By the edicts of toleration, he removed the temporal disadvantages which had hitherto retarded the progress of Christianity. ... The exact balance of the two religions continued but a moment; and the piercing eye of ambition and avarice soon discovered that the profession of Christianity might contribute to the interest of the present as well as of the future life. The hopes of wealth and honors, the example of an emperor, his exhortations, his irresistible smile, diffused conviction among the venal and obsequious crowds which usually filled the apartments of a palace. ... As the lower ranks of society are covered by imitation, the conversion of those who possessed any imminence of birth, of power, or of riches, was soon followed by [the conversion of] dependent multitudes.”—Decline and Fall, chap. 20, par. 18.

Unchecked Copy Box

Who is He ?
Really, why don't you try reading other translations. The one you've got is for those who speak Elizabethan English. I can't imagine anyone really does anymore and so we've lost the ability to really understand sentences and phrases that are written with it.

Don’t let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the man doomed to destruction. He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God’s temple, proclaiming himself to be God. Don’t you remember that when I was with you I used to tell you these things? And now you know what is holding him back, so that he may be revealed at the proper time. For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way. And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendor of his coming.

So, there are pretty obviously two 'he's' here. One is the lawless one. The man of rebellion who will oppose and exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God's temple, proclaiming himself to be God. That's one 'he'.

Then we have another 'he' who is holding back this spirit of wickedness and lawlessness. That 'he' is the Holy Spirit and it is he who will be withdrawn and allow the full rush of godlessness to pour forth from the earth. Those will be the days of great tribulation such has never been seen before or ever will be again.

God bless,
Ted

The phrase the mystery of iniquity occurs in the KJV of 2 Thessalonians 2:7, “For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.” Other translations render the phrase as “the secret power of lawlessness” (NIV) or “the mystery of lawlessness” (ESV and NASB). Before we attempt to interpret the meaning of this phrase, let’s look at the context of the passage in question:

Concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered to him, we ask you, brothers and sisters, not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by the teaching allegedly from us—whether by a prophecy or by word of mouth or by letter—asserting that the day of the Lord has already come. Don’t let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the man doomed to destruction. He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God’s temple, proclaiming himself to be God. Don’t you remember that when I was with you I used to tell you these things? And now you know what is holding him back, so that he may be revealed at the proper time. For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way. And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendor of his coming. The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie, and all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness (2 Thessalonians 2:1–12, emphasis added).

Paul’s intent in this passage is to correct a false teaching that was being propagated, namely, that the Day of the Lord (the end times’ judgment) had already come and the Christians of Thessalonica had been left behind to endure it. Paul wants to set the record straight about Christ’s return and our gathering together to Him—the rapture. Paul states that the two events that go before the Day of the Lord are the apostasy (or “the rebellion”) and the revelation of the man of lawlessness (the Antichrist). The “mystery of iniquity” that will one day culminate in the appearance of the Antichrist is already at work in the world, but it is being restrained for now so that the world is not as evil as it could be (but will be, once the Restrainer is removed from the world).

What is the apostasy? The Greek word apostasia in 2 Thessalonians 2:3 means “departure, falling away, defection, revolt.” This end times’ apostasy is the mass “falling away” of people from God as the world prepares to receive the lawless one who claims to be God (verse 4). It is an unprecedented, worldwide revolt against all things godly, and even many who claim to be Christians will be caught up in it. Another possibility, espoused by a small minority of scholars, is that the “apostasy” is the “departure” of the church from the world, that is, the rapture that Paul alludes to in verse 1 and which he had previously discussed in 1 Thessalonians 4:13–18. It is important to note that a pre-trib interpretation does not require equating apostasia with the rapture.

Who is this man of lawlessness? He is a literal person, often referred to as the Antichrist. He will be Satan’s henchman, a pseudo-Christ who will perform miracles, signs, and wonders by the power of Satan and ultimately deceive the world. John wrote that many antichrists will precede the coming of the ultimate Antichrist (1 John 2:18), referred to as “the beast” in Revelation 13:1–10, “the little horn” in Daniel 7:8, and “the king who does as he pleases” in Daniel 11:36.

The mystery of iniquity is already at work in the world. The forces that would bring the Antichrist to power are eager to establish his unholy kingdom, but they are currently being restrained (2 Thessalonians 2:6–7). What or who is the Restrainer? Possibilities include the Holy Spirit, the church, human governments, and angels. The Thessalonians knew the identity of the Restrainer, so Paul did not elaborate (verse 6). We believe the best answer is that the Holy Spirit is the Restrainer. The Spirit convicts the world and indwells the church, enabling God’s people to be a limiting influence on the world’s evil. The presence of the Holy Spirit in the world is right now thwarting the revelation of the man of lawlessness. Wickedness gets no traction in seizing global power—but this will change. Upon the departure of the church from this earth (at which time the Holy Spirit’s indwelling presence will depart), the mystery of iniquity will have free rein, and the tribulation on earth will begin (Matthew 24).

What exactly is the mystery of iniquity (KJV) or the secret power of lawlessness (NIV) that is being restrained by the Holy Spirit? The word mystery denotes something hidden for a time before God chooses to reveal it. Some “mysteries” revealed in the New Testament include the doctrine of the Gentile church (Romans 16:25–27; Ephesians 3:4–12; Colossians 1:25–27) and the rapture (1 Corinthians 15:51–52). This particular “mystery” in 2 Thessalonians 2:7 concerns the working of lawlessness in the world, leading to a worldwide rebellion against God. It works in secret right now, but it is working. The revelation of this lawlessness will coincide with the revelation of the Antichrist, mentioned in 2 Thessalonians 2:8. The man of sin’s rise to power will represent a climax of lawlessness, a satanic movement against the administration of God. This secret, behind-the-scenes movement is as yet restrained but waiting to be revealed.

The mystery of iniquity has been at work for a long time—since Paul’s day—and, when it finally erupts in all its hideousness, the world will be shaken to its core. The Antichrist, who leads the descent into lawlessness, will set a new standard of depravity. The enormity of the acts of moral monsters such as Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot, Idi Amin, Robespierre, and Caligula will pale in comparison to the evil of the Antichrist.

Believers have the privilege of helping restrain the mystery of iniquity even as they look for their blessed hope, the Savior, Jesus Christ. At His second coming, Jesus will reign as the King of kings and the Lord of lords. By the breath of His mouth, He will destroy the works of the enemy. The Antichrist will have “his power . . . taken away and completely destroyed forever” (Daniel 7:26).

Source: https://www.gotquestions.org/mystery-of-iniquity.html

Really, why don't you try reading other translations. The one you've got is for those who speak Elizabethan English. I can't imagine anyone really does anymore and so we've lost the ability to really understand sentences and phrases that are written with it.

Don’t let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the man doomed to destruction. He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God’s temple, proclaiming himself to be God. Don’t you remember that when I was with you I used to tell you these things? And now you know what is holding him back, so that he may be revealed at the proper time. For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way. And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendor of his coming.

So, there are pretty obviously two 'he's' here. One is the lawless one. The man of rebellion who will oppose and exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God's temple, proclaiming himself to be God. That's one 'he'.

Then we have another 'he' who is holding back this spirit of wickedness and lawlessness. That 'he' is the Holy Spirit and it is he who will be withdrawn and allow the full rush of godlessness to pour forth from the earth. Those will be the days of great tribulation such has never been seen before or ever will be again.

God bless,
Ted
Thank You Ted,
The King's English has always seemed straightforward enough for me & it has yet to fail me in providing refuge for my soul.
So I'll continue with it until that day it proves itself insufficient in doing so.
I think you have nailed it in identifying the two principles mentioned in the passage.
I believe we can even see an Old Testament partial prototype of this coming event in the Spirit of God Departing from the Temple before the destruction that came upon it.
The one MAJOR difference in this OT example however.
Whereas God promised that He would not abide in the Temple if the people turned to their own way , Jesus Christ said the exact opposite .
He said that the Holy Spirit will abide with believers FOREVER !

Jhn 14:16
And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

So in light of Jesus's promise to us the obvious question then becomes, how can the Holy Spirit be " withdrawn" from the presence of believers in opposition to the promise of Jesus ?
Jesus being the Truth .

God bless,
Ted
He is a 'mere man' who exalts himself as God... https://www.gotquestions.org/vicar-of-Christ.html
and declares himself to be infallible.. https://www.britannica.com/topic/papal-infallibility
and that he is basically God one earth.. https://amazingdiscoveries.org/R-Pope_Rome_blasphemy_power_Jesus
and history is clear how Pagan Rome held back Papal Rome as it fought against and persecuted Christianity..
https://www.christianitytoday.com/h...persecution-in-early-church-did-you-know.html https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Paga...on_of_Rome_from_a_Pagan_into_a_Christian_City

Its not hard to figure out...

Last edited:
Unchecked Copy Box

Who is He ?

The One restraining the antichrist.

For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only He who now restrains will do so until He is taken out of the way. And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord will consume with the breath of His mouth and destroy with the brightness of His coming.
2 Thessalonians 2:7-8

JLB

For me it is clear from scripture that Satan and his minions already have access to the earth.
On a shorter leash than he would like however.

Satan can only do what he has permission from God to do.

The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders, and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness. 2 Thessalonians 2:9-12

And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie

God Himself is actually granting Satan the right to deceive through the operation of power, signs and lying wonders so that they will believe the lie.

JLB

Hi reddogs
So, the Antichrist is holding himself back and will then be taken out of his own way so that he can come forth.

Got it!

God bless,
Ted

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back