Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Who is James talking to?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

cyberjosh

In chapter 4 of James there are some startling warnings given that are important to consider. The temptation would be to cast this off as all towards unbelievers but let us look at it and then decide who James is talking to.

James 4:1-3 talks about the wars among the members of the Church and their murderings (most likely in the line of thought as Matthew 5:21-22 where Jesus says hating your brother is as murdering him). Jesus actually gave that admonition about not hating your brother (Matthew 5) in his series of admonitions for grace under the New Covenant. He said several times "You have heard it said of old" (in the law) but I say to you (bound under grace)... Grace is the higher standard (you can't even think about killing or even imagine lustful thoughts without it being the same as doing it) because grace allows us to do more. For those who are not under grace such admonitions fall on deaf ears and are useless, thus I am inclined to believe that both James and Jesus are talking to believers who can fall into the lusts of their flesh on occasion.

James 4:4-5 pulls on OT terminology of God's unfaithful people who turned aside to idols (especially in Ezekiel) and defiled themselves because God consistantly used the marriage concept in the covenant. Israel was married to God under Covenant and when they broke his Covenant they were considered as an unfaithful wife. James writes "You adulterers and adulteresses!" James is talking to Christians who are living unfaithfully to the God who saved them. Unbelievers have nothing to be faithful to thus cannot be adulterers for they are bound by no such covenant agreement. James then says, "Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God." An unbeliever is already an enemy of God and the world is their normal way of live and their natural atmosphere. They do not prostitute themselves (Ezekiel 16) as an adulteress to the world for they are in the world. James is warning believers not to turn back to the world's ways!

James 4:6-10 talks about what such people are to do to remedy their horrible position that they have fallen into. They are to humble themselves, submit themselves to God, resist the devil, and cleanse themselves (2 Corinthians 7:1). Unbelievers have no means of themselves by which they could submit to God, much less have power to resist the Devil, and would have nothing with which to cleanse themselves. We believers however can pick ourselves up out of our sins by God's grace which he graciously provides to those who are his. BUt James called them "double-minded" because they were vacilliating between sertving God and the world.

James is saying, "Use the grace given to you by God's Holy Spirit in you! Put away your sins, and clean your hands from the filth on it by God's grace." This is similar to what Paul said of "Put off the old man, and put on the new" and also "Do not recieve the grace of God in vain!" Paul also said, "Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God."

We are not automatically perfect or 100% clean when we are saved, we go through a process of cleansing ourselves from the remnant of our evil ways by crucifying our flesh daily by putting of the old man. God by Covenant reguards us blameless on account of Jesus sacrifice but our blamelessness here on earth now is up to us and we must sanctify ourselves (progressive santification) by seperating (the root meaning of sanctify, holiness, and consecreate - all the same Hebrew word) ourselves from the world (Do you not know that friend ship with the world is enmity with God?!) by cleansing ourselves. And we would do well to heed the warnings given in scripture and not act as adulterers and adulteresses against whom we have been pledged in marriage (the Holy Spirit is our downpayment/earnest/engagement ring), and rather please our Husband Christ and be a spotless bride as Revelation shows the end times bride!

God Bless,

~Josh

Does anyone agree with me that heeding the Bible's warnings (and not just the positive blessings under the new coveant) is important?

Sincerely,

~Josh

I agree 100 percent.

Not only in James, but how about this: II Peter 2:

[20] For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
[21] For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
[22] But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

This is NOT speaking to UNBELIEVERS but TO BELIEVERS. The funny thing is that the ENTIRE Bible is written to and for BELIEVERS.

And YES, we are CERTAINLY responsible for our 'blessings' or our 'curses'. That SHOULD be a 'given'. So many now believe in and teach this 'OSAS' type relationship. But as we ARE able to see clearly HERE on EARTH, a relationship IS a relationship. If we ABUSE the relationship IT WILL SUFFER. If we nurture and respect the relationship, it will flourish and grow. It is NO different with our Spiritual Father than it is with our physical father.

When we are tempted, it is UP TO US whether we submit to it or reject it. We HAVE a mediator and we have the ABILITY to accept the strength that CAN be offered to us, but it is UP TO US whether we DO or DON'T follow what we have been COMMANDED to follow.

Read what is offered above. It STATES that there WILL BE those that come to an understanding of truth through Jesus Christ, (accept The Holy Spirit and Christ INTO THEIR HEARTS), BUT, fall BACK into their OLD ways, the ways of this world. And for these, they would have been BETTER OFF NEVER HAVING received The Word. For their END state is WORSE than BEFORE they KNEW Christ.

If this isn't an OUTRIGHT statement of OSAS being TOTALLY falllicious, then I don't know HOW it could be stated more clearly. Gotta do a bunch of word wrangling to talk one's way out of this one.

Cyber, YOU KNOW that ONCE you came to Christ and began to develope a relationship with God that you WERE able to disappoint Him. That it took and WILL TAKE time and effort to develope a lasting and fulfilling relationship with God through His Son. YOU KNOW this. Instinctually or whatever you wish to call it. EVERYONE that KNOWS God KNOWS that they are able to accept His LOVE or reject it.

Brain washing oneself or allowing others to do it DOES NOT MAKE IT TRUTH. For MANY will Insist that they KNOW there is NOTHING that they can DO that can separate them from God. And this is NOTHING but 'self hypnosis' or 'brainwashing' or 'positive thinking' or whatever you CHOOSE to call it.

We have the example offered over and over again. Someone plants the seed, someone else comes along and waters it. Then there WILL be the harvest. If this isn't another example of HOW we ARE responsible for the growth or stagnation or ELIMINATION of our relationship I can't imagine how it is so. For what IF: someone plants the seed but it NEVER gets watered. Or the seed is planted on TOP OF A ROCK, or a flood comes and washes the seed away.....These are but a few of the possibilities. So, WHAT can be harvested IF the seed NEVER grows?

MEC

The Apostle James is talking to "...to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad..." And not to Gentiles. James 1:1 (KJV)
You're Blessed

xicali
http://www.fundraisingministries.official.ws/

The principles are applied to Christians not Jews (belief oriented - not ethnically speaking), and one part of the Body of Christ affects the whole. James is written for all believers, and as Scripture it is profitable for doctrine, correction, reproof, and instruction in righteousness. And who it is addressed to is irrelevant when it comes to laying forth Christian doctrine. That would be like saying that the doctrines Paul layed out in Romans, since they are addressed to Gentile Romans, aren't just as true for Jewish Christians.

But then again taking your statement as given, with no points attached to it, you are right. It was addressed to the twelve tribes scattered abroad, but we are the audience now, and it is for our benefit that it has been inspired as holy writ.

God Bless,

~Josh

Imagician said:
This is NOT speaking to UNBELIEVERS but TO BELIEVERS. The funny thing is that the ENTIRE Bible is written to and for BELIEVERS.

I agree, though there are passages that are general calls to the unbeliever and rebukes against sin, to say that entire books of the Bible are not addressed to us is rediculous.

Imagician said:
And YES, we are CERTAINLY responsible for our 'blessings' or our 'curses'. That SHOULD be a 'given'. So many now believe in and teach this 'OSAS' type relationship. But as we ARE able to see clearly HERE on EARTH, a relationship IS a relationship. If we ABUSE the relationship IT WILL SUFFER. If we nurture and respect the relationship, it will flourish and grow.

I agree, and we are to pursue after God and not become complacent. God can keep us from stumbling but we still have to dedicate our will to Him. God doesn't like phonies that draw near to Him with their lips but their hearts are far from Him, he wants full dedication. And I do not believe OSAS is a correct doctrine in general, and Perseverance of the Saints is a more correct doctrine than silly OSAS. But alas I do not claim to know everything on the doctrine of salvation. But I'll tell you one thing I do know: God does not lie, nor give us useless doctrine, and therefore in fear and trembling I will heed the warnings in His word.

Imagician said:
When we are tempted, it is UP TO US whether we submit to it or reject it. We HAVE a mediator and we have the ABILITY to accept the strength that CAN be offered to us, but it is UP TO US whether we DO or DON'T follow what we have been COMMANDED to follow.

That's very true. James 1:14 shows how it is a man's own desire that leads him astray when he sins, so we are to blame and are responsible for those decisions, but I thank God that for those who truely love Christ God will graciously forgive our sins if we confess them.

Imagician said:
Read what is offered above. It STATES that there WILL BE those that come to an understanding of truth through Jesus Christ, (accept The Holy Spirit and Christ INTO THEIR HEARTS), BUT, fall BACK into their OLD ways, the ways of this world. And for these, they would have been BETTER OFF NEVER HAVING received The Word. For their END state is WORSE than BEFORE they KNEW Christ.

Yes, this is a serious warning and a call that once you have believed to mature in the faith else you may be in danger of hardening your heart to the grace you have recieved. After much study the closest way I have been able to reconcile all the passages on salvation is that the believers that are in danger of falling away are the infant Christians (regardless of how long they've actually been a Christian Hebrews 5:12-14) who are at a critical point at which they have recieved grace but must continue to run the race with it and not become complacent lest they fall back into the world. It makes me also wonder at the true spiritual identity of "carnal Christians" as Paul mentions, though with Paul's language I must admit that they are saved. The point is, once you recieve grace do not allow your heart to be hardened, lest you might recieve that grace in vain (2 Corinthians 6:1).

Imagician said:
If this isn't an OUTRIGHT statement of OSAS being TOTALLY falllicious, then I don't know HOW it could be stated more clearly. Gotta do a bunch of word wrangling to talk one's way out of this one.

Yeah, as I've said OSAS isn't really a correct doctrine on any front, while I at the least approve of the focus of Perseverance of the Saints and Lordship Salvation - as John MacArthur teaches (although I don't concur 100%, the focus is significantly more Biblical).

Imagician said:
Cyber, YOU KNOW that ONCE you came to Christ and began to develope a relationship with God that you WERE able to disappoint Him. That it took and WILL TAKE time and effort to develope a lasting and fulfilling relationship with God through His Son. YOU KNOW this. Instinctually or whatever you wish to call it. EVERYONE that KNOWS God KNOWS that they are able to accept His LOVE or reject it.

Yes we know we are not perfect, but this very acknowledgement should lead us to humble crying out to God for more grace that will help us persevere, since we are not able to do anything good of our own accord.

Imagician said:
Brain washing oneself or allowing others to do it DOES NOT MAKE IT TRUTH. For MANY will Insist that they KNOW there is NOTHING that they can DO that can separate them from God. And this is NOTHING but 'self hypnosis' or 'brainwashing' or 'positive thinking' or whatever you CHOOSE to call it.

It's tricky business trying to work out the doctrine of salvation sometimes, and some people on complete polar opposite sides of opinion on the matter will both be saved nonetheless, since they pursue Christ, but it's when your doctrine produces a stumbling block or deterant to your faith is when it really becomes a critical error. It's hard to strike the perfect doctrine (which is why I don't claim to have one) but I will hold on to the core and essential truths that I must persevere and seek after Jesus at all costs and never stop pushing toward that mark.

God Bless,

~Josh

In old Bibles, James was categorized under what were called the "catholic letters" (with a small "c"). This meant that they were not just addressed to one group as are, say, the letters to the Thessolonians of Corinthians, but rather they are addressed to the ENTIRE Church. That is who James is speaking to: ALL Christians

Catholic Crusader said:
In old Bibles, James was categorized under what were called the "catholic letters" (with a small "c"). This meant that they were not just addressed to one group as are, say, the letters to the Thessolonians of Corinthians, but rather they are addressed to the ENTIRE Church. That is who James is speaking to: ALL Christians

I agree. And as I said above, those addressed to specific recipeints historically yet apply to us as a Church body today, hence why they were inspired - for our instruction.

God Bless,

~Josh

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back