Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Who Is THE ROCK

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
E

Elijah674

Deut.32

[1] Give ear, O ye heavens, and I will speak; and hear, O earth, the words of my mouth.
[2] My doctrine shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass:
[3] Because I will publish the name of the LORD: ascribe ye greatness unto our God.

[4] He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.

--Elijah

How about this?

For I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that our fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea, 2 and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, 3 and all ate the same spiritual food, 4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank from the spiritual Rock that followed them, and the Rock was Christ. 5 Nevertheless, with most of them God was not pleased, for they were overthrown in the wilderness.
1 Corinthians 10

How about this?
For I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that our fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea, 2 and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, 3 and all ate the same spiritual food, 4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank from the spiritual Rock that followed them, and the Rock was Christ. 5 Nevertheless, with most of them God was not pleased, for they were overthrown in the wilderness.
1 Corinthians 10

Few Christians realize that this passage confirms there was a legend and belief that The Rock was an actual stone the Israelites carried with them, also called "Jacob's Pillar" (this was his pillow stone recorded in Genesis). So often when Moses got water from The Rock (not just any rock) they envision pictures of Moses picking some random, rocky cliff giving water the way the paintings show. But it has been pointed out the definite article specified a specific rock they were already familiar with, not just one selected somewhere.

Jacob's Pillar, then the rock in the wilderness, later on Solomon rejected a stone (the stone the builders rejected) according to tradition, and later on the bible mentions Kings being coronated at the pillar "as the manner was". This rock was supposed to accompany the house of Israel and the Davidic Kings wherever they ended up to testify their identity.

Just google Jacob's Pillar to get the details.

How about this?
1 Corinthians 10

Few Christians realize that this passage confirms there was a legend and belief that The Rock was an actual stone the Israelites carried with them, also called "Jacob's Pillar" (this was his pillow stone recorded in Genesis). So often when Moses got water from The Rock (not just any rock) they envision pictures of Moses picking some random, rocky cliff giving water the way the paintings show. But it has been pointed out the definite article specified a specific rock they were already familiar with, not just one selected somewhere.

Jacob's Pillar, then the rock in the wilderness, later on Solomon rejected a stone (the stone the builders rejected) according to tradition, and later on the bible mentions Kings being coronated at the pillar "as the manner was". This rock was supposed to accompany the house of Israel and the Davidic Kings wherever they ended up to testify their identity.

Just google Jacob's Pillar to get the details.
I've always thought it a literal rock, and not just ANY rock.

That will be an interesting Google search...I'll be sure to do some reading on on it. :thumbsup

And who is this in verse in verse 38 of Acts 7. If it is Christ, then He had a LOVING relationship with only a small 'Remnant' it appears.

[32] Saying, I am the God of thy fathers, the God of Abrham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. Then Moses trembled, and durst not behold.
[33] Then said the Lord to him, Put off thy shoes from thy feet: for the place where thou standest is holy ground.
[34] I have seen, I have seen the affliction of my people which is in Egypt, and I have heard their groaning, and am come down to deliver them. And now come, I will send thee into Egypt.

[35] This Moses whom they refused, saying, Who made thee a ruler and a judge? the same did God send to be a ruler and a deliverer by the hand of the angel which appeared to him in the bush.
[36] He brought them out, after that he had shewed wonders and signs in the land of Egypt, and in the Red sea, and in the wilderness forty years.
[37] This is that Moses, which said unto the children of Israel, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear.

[38] This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us:

--Elijah

Deut.32

[1] Give ear, O ye heavens, and I will speak; and hear, O earth, the words of my mouth.
[2] My doctrine shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass:
[3] Because I will publish the name of the LORD: ascribe ye greatness unto our God.

[4] He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.

--Elijah

Me again: EDITED rudeness
I am guessing that this is the forum for such? And this is what the scripture states!

And who is Peter? Surely not the 'Rock' of Deut. 32:3-4. And the gates of hell in Matt. 16 has [[thee is whom?]]

[16] And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
[17] And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
[18] And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon [this rock ] I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
[19] And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

--Elijah

Last edited by a moderator:
[16] And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. [17] And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. [18] And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon [this rock ] I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. [19] And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

I see this as Peter knew without a doubt and with faith that Jesus (the rock) is the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus was saying that HE would build His church---those with that same faith and without a doubt...getting revelation for the Father's Spirit. And with the Power of the Holy Spirit He will work through us in the name of Jesus to bind and loose and not without the keys needed, so that the gates of hell would not prevail against it.

But it has been pointed out the definite article specified a specific rock

I was just studying Gk articles this morning. Trying to understand for another verse.

Now Matthew 16:18 comes up.
On the scripture4all.com website, this verse is showing "on, this, the (te), Rock, I-shall-be-home-building. The 'the = te,' appears to me to be pointing to 'rock'. This, the, and rock are all in the dative, sing, female.

But even YLT does not apply the 'the' before rock. So what do you think it says? If you will, please?

[16] And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. [17] And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. [18] And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon [this rock ] I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. [19] And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

I see this as Peter knew without a doubt and with faith that Jesus (the rock) is the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus was saying that HE would build His church---those with that same faith and without a doubt...getting revelation for the Father's Spirit. And with the Power of the Holy Spirit He will work through us in the name of Jesus to bind and loose and not without the keys needed, so that the gates of hell would not prevail against it.

Very good!
--Elijah

But it has been pointed out the definite article specified a specific rock

I was just studying Gk articles this morning. Trying to understand for another verse.

Now Matthew 16:18 comes up.
On the scripture4all.com website, this verse is showing "on, this, the (te), Rock, I-shall-be-home-building. The 'the = te,' appears to me to be pointing to 'rock'. This, the, and rock are all in the dative, sing, female.

But even YLT does not apply the 'the' before rock. So what do you think it says? If you will, please?

Then you find Matt. 18 with these facts...
[14] Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish.
[15] Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
[16] But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
[17] And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.
[18] Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

And surely this is the correct Church! (and is CONDITIONAL with these all living as Christ Commanded)

--Elijah

And surely this is the correct Church! (and is CONDITIONAL with these all living as Christ Commanded)

Sorry I'm not seeing how your post addresses my question, as to who is the rock (rocks) in Matthew 16:18?

The church (Eph. 4:5) has been entrusted with the power for ones baptism or removal from its membership. (and the church is to be pure! CONDITIONAL with No open sin found in it)

Another case is seen in Joshua 7 with Achan found guilty of stealing (as such) & 36 men died! Notice what Christ said... in verse 13 '... There is an accursed thing in the midst of thee, O Israel: thou canst not stand before thine enemies, until ye take away the accursed thing from among you.

SO in bottom line the church is held accountable for [OPEN SIN] in their church. (see 1 John 5:16-17 'a sin unto death' is OPEN and unrepentant sin) Such as OSAS & a person teaches for truth that a sinner will burn on & on forever. {--< See Obadiah 1:16)

And these ones have been teaching this stuff long past the Holy Spirits Striving of Gen. 6:3. Now, there are good sincere folks that had believed this teaching
who have died who will be saved. For what more could they be held accountable for than what the Holy Spirit had given them? But these ones that just argue over such stuff on & on and on, soon have no more conscience to be grieved by the Holy Spirit. And who else can reach them???

--Elijah

Sorry I'm not seeing how your post addresses my question, as to who is the rock (rocks) in Matthew 16:18?

The church (Eph. 4:5) has been entrusted with the power for ones baptism or removal from its membership. (and the church is to be pure! CONDITIONAL with No open sin found in it)

Another case is seen in Joshua 7 with Achan found guilty of stealing (as such) & 36 men died! Notice what Christ said... in verse 13 '... There is an accursed thing in the midst of thee, O Israel: thou canst not stand before thine enemies, until ye take away the accursed thing from among you.

SO in bottom line the church is held accountable for [OPEN SIN] in their church. (see 1 John 5:16-17 'a sin unto death' is OPEN and unrepentant sin) Such as OSAS & a person teaches for truth that a sinner will burn on & on forever. {--< See Obadiah 1:16)

And these ones have been teaching this stuff long past the Holy Spirits Striving of Gen. 6:3. Now, there are good sincere folks that had believed this teaching
who have died who will be saved. For what more could they be held accountable for than what the Holy Spirit had given them? But these ones that just argue over such stuff on & on and on, soon have no more conscience to be grieved by the Holy Spirit. And who else can reach them???

--Elijah

Hey Elijah, how are you this fine, beautiful morning? So to get back on topic, "Who is The Rock?"

Genesis 29:8
And they said, We cannot, until all the flocks be gathered together, and till they roll the stone from the well's mouth; then we water the sheep.

John 4:10 KJV
10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.

All that I got was music?

But the Dan. 7:25 surely has the man of sin seen for the last days.

He says...
[25] And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time.

(and verse 26?)

[26] But the judgment shall sit, and they shall take away his dominion, to consume and to destroy it unto the end.

And the only law that has anything to do with times is the Lords 7th Day Sabbath.

And I only know of one church that claim to do that. Even boastfully. (Rev. 17:5 with daughters)
"Of course the Catholic Church claims that the change was her act.... And the act is a mark of her ecclesiastical authority in religious things,"
-H.F. Thomas, Chancellor of Cardinal Gibbons.

--Elijah

Yes Elijah music.. Paul was singing about the CORNOR STONE the Rock of our salvation... Our solid Rock. Our Rock that springs forth Living Waters. Our Rock that is cleft so we can hide in Him....Our Rock our Fortress

I knew who the Rock was when I was very young I still remember the 'motions' to this kids song

The Wise Man Built His House

The wise man built his house upon the rock
And the rain came tumbling down

Oh, the rain came down
And the floods came up
The rain came down
And the floods came up
The rain came down
And the floods came up
And the wise man's house stood firm.

The foolish man built his house upon the sand

Oh, the rain came down
And the floods came up
The rain came down
And the floods came up
The rain came down
And the floods came up
And the foolish man's house went "splat!" [clap hands once]

So, build your house on the Lord Jesus Christ
Build your house on the Lord Jesus Christ
And the blessings will come down

Oh, the blessings come down
As your prayers go up
The blessings come down
As your prayers go up
The blessings come down
As your prayer go up
So build your house on the Lord Jesus Christ.

Yes Elijah music.. Paul was singing about the CORNOR STONE the Rock of our salvation... Our solid Rock. Our Rock that springs forth Living Waters. Our Rock that is cleft so we can hide in Him....Our Rock our Fortress

I knew who the Rock was when I was very young I still remember the 'motions' to this kids song

The Wise Man Built His House

Oh, the rain came down
And the floods came up
The rain came down
And the floods came up
The rain came down
And the floods came up
And the wise man's house stood firm.

Oh, the rain came down
And the floods came up
The rain came down
And the floods came up
The rain came down
And the floods came up
And the foolish man's house went "splat!" [clap hands once]

So, build your house on the Lord Jesus Christ
And the blessings will come down

Oh, the blessings come down
As your prayers go up
The blessings come down
As your prayers go up
The blessings come down
As your prayer go up
So build your house on the Lord Jesus Christ.

OK, I will buy that!:chin

--Elijah

Back