Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Who Is the Son of Perdition?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
The 'Son of Perdition' is one who inherits perdition; counts perdition as his father; is the legacy of perdition; in being the son makes himself equal with perdition. Perdition has sons at both the individual and organizational levels.

Maybe i was not clear...
Jesus is talking about Judas here agreed ?

Is this verse speaking of Judas?

Yes, Jesus is talking about Judas.

2 Thessalonians 2 is speaking of a future man, who Paul describes as the man of sin, the son of perdition, as well as the lawless one. All of whom refer to the same person.

A future false messiah, whom The Lord will destroy at the end of the age, when He Returns.

I think the son of wrath (perdition) can be none other than the Jews of Jesus' day that did not accept him as God's Anointed King. The guilt of disobedience and other acts like murdering the prophets of God was to be laid on that generation. The wrath of God that was to be visited on them because of their disobedience and rejection of God's salvation thru Jesus. THEY were the antichrists people! It was many of THEM that for a time accepted the gospel but later began speaking against Jesus being the Christ attempting to destroy the faith of the elect! THEY went back to their own religion which they exalted as they trusted in their temple while rejecting God's Messiah that was sent to them!

I think the son of wrath (perdition) can be none other than the Jews of Jesus' day that did not accept him as God's Anointed King.

The son of perdition, in 2 Thessalonians 2, is a reference to one specific man.

He is also referred to as, the man of sin as well as the lawless one.

It is important to remember, that The Lord Jesus personally destroys the man of sin, the son of perdition, who is also called the lawless one, by the brightness of His coming.

And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord will consume with the breath of His mouth and destroy with the brightness of His coming. 2 Thessalonians 2:8

This event occurs at the end of the age, which rules out your opinion that this man is none other than the Jews of Jesus' day that did not accept him as God's Anointed King.

JLB

3] Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

"Falling away" from what ?

3] Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

"Falling away" from what ?

The word is apostasy.

An apostate person turns away or falls away from his or her religious faith.

In the case of those associated with 2 Thessalonians 2, they are drawn away by signs and wonders that are worked by the lawless one.

JLB

The son of perdition, in 2 Thessalonians 2, is a reference to one specific man.

He is also referred to as, the man of sin as well as the lawless one.

How can you make such a bold and definitive proclamation when all you have to go on in the language in 2 Thessalonians? How do you know that the terminology isn't metaphorical or intended to represent a sect or specific group? WHat evidence do you have that would limit this entity to being a single solitary individual?

It seems you ignore not only the broad context posted in the OP, but also the entirety of the NT narrative in coming to your conclusion. The NT illustrates ways the Judiazers of the 1st century that left the faith and kept attempting to destroy the faith of others would fit the descriptions given in 2 Thessalonians.
It is important to remember, that The Lord Jesus personally destroys the man of sin, the son of perdition, who is also called the lawless one, by the brightness of His coming.

And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord will consume with the breath of His mouth and destroy with the brightness of His coming. 2 Thessalonians 2:8

This event occurs at the end of the age, which rules out your opinion that this man is none other than the Jews of Jesus' day that did not accept him as God's Anointed King.

JLB

These "enemies" of the faith mentioned above that did not want Jesus as their king would be destroyed at Jesus coming (see Luke 19:27). That is not where we disagree as that point is clear in scripture. Our disagreement lies in who this or those enemies are/were and WHEN the 'end of the age' will be or was that Jesus is/was to return in judgment of said enemy. My position is that that coming, from our perspective must be considered as a past event that was to occur nearly 2000 yrs ago and that is the Biblical time frame for the end of the age. In other words, the end of the age spoken of in scripture has already come and gone based on the scriptures. To deny this ignores a lot of what is promoted in scripture.

Joh_17:12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

2Th_2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

Is the 'son of perdition' one guy?

I used to think it spoke of Judas or the antichrist but now see the "son of perdition" as the many antichrists. And their identity is.....us, before and until we humble our selves, crucify our old man, leave our egos behind and follow Him. Was Judas one? Yes.

John 17:12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Thy name: those that Thou gavest Me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.​

I say that as the passage speaks of many while mentioning "the son."

2 Thessalonians 2:1-2 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto Him, That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.

2:3 -4 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

We are the temple of God [1 Cori.3:16-17] and we sitteth in the temple of God. Some show themselves that they are wiser than God when they deny His Words, thinking errors were made in the Scriptures...that they themselves think their thoughts are better than God's Words. After all...the Word was God and the son of perdition is showing himself that he is God, the Word.

2:5-8 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things? And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time. For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way. And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of His mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of His coming:​

We withhold....we allow iniquity to work....we must take our old man out of the way. When we do we see our carnal nature revealed. It is the Holy Spirit revealing wisdom and understanding through His Words (His mouth) and we are a new man when He comes to dwell in us.

2:9-12 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.​

The son of perdition is...them, our and they...many sons of perdition.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back