Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Who or What is Satan?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
guardian cherub

This leads to another interesting question pertaining to the topic of angels. Are Cherubim and Seraphim ever called angels/messengers in the biblical texts or do we simply make that assumption? In my understanding the scriptures do not classify angels as a species. Instead, they show readers that an angel is but a messenger. Some messengers can be spirit beings and others can be human beings. It's interesting that the translators picked and choose where they would transliterate and use the word angel and where they would translate it into its English equivalent which is messenger. The same word that is elsewhere translated angel is translated as messenger in Haggai 1:13 and other paces.

I have heard folks talk about Arch Angels, Seraphs, and Cherubs as some sort of a spiritual race, but I'm not so sure drawing that conclusion is solid. Nowhere that I am aware of in scripture does it say that Cherubim or Seraphim are angels. A Cherub was simply a flying creature and a Saraph was fiery or burning one.

Last edited by a moderator:
If evil did not exist we'd be robots. A choice has been laid before us. All the posts so far r excellent. I'm learning some good stuff.
My personal take is that satan/ lucifer is a real entity. He is the ugly influence behind all of mankind's evil actions, be they kings or your neighbor next door. Don't know if I ever had a 'one on one' confrontation with this dude but I have had plenty of dealings with demons and their destructive influence.

Would Adam and Cavah have sinned if evil was not present. Yet lucifer rebelled when evil was not present....I guess.
I'm getting confused
. Smile.

Would Adam and Cavah have sinned if evil was not present. Yet lucifer rebelled when evil was not present....I guess.

I'd suggest that evil cannot exist in and of itself. It is born through actions of individuals. Evil was not needed for Man ans Life to sin in the garden. Evil is a byproduct of actions that can only come about when individuals coexist with other individuals. When you have a collection of individuals, ei. a society, rules get developed pertaining to how to and how not to interact with other individuals. The positive interactions are typically classified as good whereas the negative interactions are usually classified as evil.

Who would control whole nations as the spiritual authority? Satan of course as He offered all the kingdoms to Jesus He controlled. Jesus never questioned Satan not owning them as god of this Word, but Jesus was not going to obey him either.

Good point Brother Mike.

Also, touching on your point about Satan having authority over the kingdoms of this world.

His ability to show Jesus all the kingdoms of this world in a moment of time, is the same ability that The Lord God used to show Moses the tabernacle and the things in heaven that Moses made the earthly copies of.

5 Then the devil, taking Him up on a high mountain, showed Him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. Luke 4:5

and likewise -

4 For if He were on earth, He would not be a priest, since there are priests who offer the gifts according to the law; 5 who serve the copy and shadow of the heavenly things, as Moses was divinely instructed when he was about to make the tabernacle. For He said, "See that you make all things according to the pattern shown you on the mountain."

His Power was granted to him as the angel Lucifer, and we know that the gifts and calling are without repentance.

His ability to draw one third of the angels out of heaven shows the authority and power that he had been given by God.

4 His tail drew a third of the stars of heaven and threw them to the earth. And the dragon stood before the woman who was ready to give birth, to devour her Child as soon as it was born. Revelation 12:4

I believe that stars here in Revelation 12:4 represents angelic powers.

7 When the morning stars sang together, And all the sons of God shouted for joy? Job 38:7

and again -

10 And it grew up to the host of heaven; and it cast down some of the host and some of the stars to the ground, and trampled them. Daniel 8:10

I believe "stars" can be used as "prophetic language" for angels, but the context must given much consideration.

I agree with you on your assessment of Ezekiel and Isaiah concerning Lucifer being Satan.

JLB

Jesus sounds very clear to me now shall the prince of this world be cast out.

Joh 12:28 Father, glorify thy name. Then came there a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again.
Joh 12:29 The people therefore, that stood by, and heard it, said that it thundered: others said, An angel spake to him.
Joh 12:30 Jesus answered and said, This voice came not because of me, but for your sakes.
Joh 12:31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.
Joh 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

Who or what is satan?

satan in hebrew simply means an 'adversary'. Throughout Tanach you have angelic satans (adversaries) agents of God who in the strictest obedience carry out His will and human satans (adversaries) like David the messiah could have been towards the Philistines. Heck one can put two and two together and find it possible that the satan which caused king David to number Israel was God Himself.

Christianity however takes the hebrew word out of context capitalizes the 'S' continues preaching in the steps of the mother religion of Zarathushtra and the 'church lady' and voila a boogy man a.k.a. the god of this world to blame for all of lifes problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Satan is a spirit and the enemy, and the father of lies, and also known by many names. I'm sure glad he is under the control of out Lord, and can do nothing except what God lets him do. The victory is in the Lord, not in us, unless we have been given the spirit of God.

Sometimes when I think about the idea of there being a godlike spirit-being by the name of Satan, I really have to stratch my head as I ponder some questions like:
- If this being had access to God Almighty, why would he give a rip about man?
- This universe is immeasurable huge, why is Satan so consummed with Earth?
- Why are human beings so vain?

Greetings to you in the love of Jesus

I have always pondered the question: Why would God give him so much power? Look at what he did to Job, he was able to bring a tornado (control weather patterns) to kill all of Job's children, he was able to cause fire to come down from heaven and burn up Job's sheep and servants, as he will empower the Antichrist to rain down fire in the Book of Revelation. He was able to bring sores (boils) onto Job, and if this all wasn't enough he had the ability to temp our Lord God in the flesh by showing Him the kingdoms of the world. We know through Scripture that Satan can only do so much and can not go beyond certain boundaries, but I still question why he was given so much power to rule this world with??

It is possible his children were not killed but held captive while a number of messengers were sent to inform Job of the terrible things which supposedly happened.

Who is Satan?
The Bible says that Satan was created by God as a cherub, the most powerful of God's angelic beings. Some time after his creation and before the creation of mankind, Satan rebelled against God and took one third of the angels (now referred to as demons) with him into rebellion.

What does Satan look like?
No, Satan does not look like the cartoon character in the red suit with a tail and horns and a pitchfork. Angels, including Satan, don't have male or female characteristics in their heavenly state (which Jesus told us through His teaching). However, when they come to earth, they can take on human form. In the Bible, all angels who take on human form appear as males. All biblical references address Satan by the personal pronoun "he."

However, in their heavenly state according to the Bible, a cherub is a large creature—up to 18 feet in height with 8 foot long wings. In the prophet Ezekiel's vision, the cherubim (plural of "cherub") had four wings. Under their wings were human-like hands that could could be used to carry things. All the surfaces of the cherubim, including the wings, were covered with eyes. Each cherub had four faces, one "of a cherub, the second the face of a man, the third the face of a lion, and the fourth the face of an eagle." The New Testament book of Revelation describes similar creatures, only with six wings each, with faces of a lion, an ox, a man, and an eagle. So, these creatures look nothing like the cute little cherubim you can buy for your garden or bookshelf. Satan himself is described as being "perfect in beauty," being adorned with all kinds of precious stones.

The fall of Satan
Satan was created as a perfect being. He is described as originally being wise and completely righteous. However, pride caused Satan to fall, ("your heart was lifted up because of your beauty"), since he wanted to receive the worship due to God alone. At that point there was rebellion in heaven, when Satan convinced one third of the angels to rebel against God. Michael, an archangel of God, fought with God's angels against Satan and his angels, with Satan losing the battle and being cast from heaven down to earth.

However, Satan wasn't finished in his rebellion against God. Satan took on the form of a snake in the garden of Eden to tempt Eve. He managed to convince Eve that God's instructions against eating from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil were done as a way of keeping something good from her. She believed Satan's lie that she would "become like God." We don't know where Adam was at the time of Satan's temptation, but he followed his wife's lead and also disobeyed God's instructions.

Satan's ultimate fate
The Bible says that Satan will continue in his rebellion against God until the very end. Near the end, a "beast" (world ruler) will arise from the "sea" (the gentile nations), having been given power by Satan to perform signs and wonders for the world. In addition, a false prophet, a religious leader empowered by Satan will deceive people into worshipping him. The beast and the false prophet will convince the leaders of the earth to follow them into war against God and His people. However, the armies of the leaders of the world will be destroyed at the battle of Armageddon and the beast and false prophet will be thrown into the Lake of Fire. At this point, Satan will be locked up for 1,000 years, while Jesus Christ rules the earth with His saints. At the end of that period, Satan is released for a short period of time, deceives the leaders of the world again, and convinces them to attack Jesus and His rule on the earth. The battle is short as fire from heaven consumes the rebels. Satan is then thrown into the Lake of Fire (hell) to "be tormented day and night for ever and ever." Following Satan's demise, the saints of Jesus Christ will judge the angels who joined him in rebellion.

source: http://www.godandscience.org/doctrine/who_is_satan.html

`
This was a very interesting thread. After I read it, I went in search and found an interesting and helpful study on the Doctrine Of Satan. I think this study is useful because it does make several obviously correct points, but mainly it's useful because of the collection of Biblical references it presents with regard to the creature Satan, so that the Bible student can quickly locate the many Biblical texts listed and then do his own personal study of each passage and reach his own conclusions about what each individual passage actually says.

Well worth bookmarking for future study:
http://christianbookshelf.org/evans/the_great_doctrines_of_the_bible/the_doctrine_of_satan.htm

Its not arguable that the Bible presents Satan as a real creature with a personality, a created being who is evil and who will ultimately be defeated by the Lord Jesus.

The controversial "Satan passages" for example in Ezekiel are interesting to debate, but it is the many non-debatable clear passages that form up and support the orthodox Biblical Doctrine Of Satan and the spiritual dangers to the people of God that Satan poses to all Christian believers.

I think Luke 22:31-32 pretty much sums up my experience with Satan's temptations: “Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift all of you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail."

I think most of we Christians feel that way, I mean we are conscious that the Lord Jesus is making intercession for us with regard to giving us the strength and power to resist the wiles of Satan. Romans chapter 8 makes that clear: "Christ ... is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us ...neither death nor life, neither angels or demons .. will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

(See the whole of the Romans 8:26-39 passage .. very comforting to the Christian soul with regard to both the Holy Spirit and the Lord Christ making intercession for we Christian believers.)

♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

One thing that has puzzled me about the devil and the satan is its mortality. Is the Satan who tempted Jesus the same one who possessed the serpent in Eden? When I read passages like the one in 1 peter 5:8 that says "your adversary (satan), the devil (opposer) is like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour" it makes me ask if Peter was speaking indirectly about the Roman authorities that were persecuting the christian community as opposed to the entity we perceive as The Devil. And as I read through scripture, it seems to me like the Satan is a word that is very much like the work God as it is not a proper name but rather a descriptive term.

It can even be argued that according to scripture, there is NOT necessarily just one Satan. Bible translators have picked and chosen have they will translate certain words in order to prop up certain widely held dogmas. They include or exclude definite articles like "the" and "a" in order to convey the ideas they believe in. Why not simply avoid using the term "satan" and instead use the English equivalent "adversary"? Doing so would clear up a lot of confusion and give the reader a more accurate understand of the texts.

satan didn't posses the serpent,he was the sepent.....satan goes by many names,depending on what role he's playing......

Had it not been for him,man would never have been made flesh.......

Who is Satan? The Bible says that Satan was created by God as a cherub, the most powerful of God's angelic beings. Some time after his creation and before the creation of mankind, Satan rebelled against God and took one third of the angels (now referred to as demons) with him into rebellion.

Skillet, I contend that the Bible says no such thing. Readers are not told much of anything about the Devil's origin. Many in religion have errantly attempted to use texts like Ezekiel 28 to address this question but if you look at the entire context it becomes pretty clear that it is not about the Satan, but rather a Hu Man.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back