Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

WHO the heck reads books??

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Now, on the electronic publishing issue...

I prefer my books in an e-format. Particularly since all of my reading is technical in nature, and the books are very expensive on hard-copy. They're often half the price in a pdf format. (See O'Reilly Publishing for some examples.)

Not only that, but e-formats often give you free upgrades to the newest editions FOR LIFE. And you can read them on any computer you happen to be sitting at.

I've not checked to see if many Christians books are available in e-formats, but I'll bet they are.

And... can't you listen to books on your ipod?

reigning/ That's fine and all, but the problem I have with that is that it hurts my eyes to look at a computer too long. And I'm the kind of person who likes to read an entire book in one sitting, including 300+ page books.

I love a good book, but it will be interesting to see how this e-paper works out.

Nothing beats an online newspaper though.

No other medium allows you to freely experience the thoughts and emotions of the characters.

Regards,
John Hileman

Nick said:
I love a good book, but it will be interesting to see how this e-paper works out.

Nothing beats an online newspaper though.
many papers are going to online suscription only. its a matter of time before scripps-howards does that. i work for them.

I love to read, love scfi books, but later I've purchased a couple of book for my Ipod. I drive alot and enjoy listening down the road...

PillsburyDoughboy said:
ipods rock, you can get all sorts of audio books on them. Well really you can on the PC and any other MP3 player, technology is awesome. But if books weren't popular why can buy them for the ipod as well? No matter how technological the world gets book reading will never go out of style. Of course nothing wrong with hearing a book read either except when you read it yourself the characters sound like what you want them to.

I didn't read the whole thread, but I do think there is something to be said for audio books. Some people are more auditory learners as opposed to visual, and they may absorb more by hearing a book read than by reading it. I have my son read aloud when he needs to read things for school, because it allows him to hear it read. For myself, I am so visual that I must read it. If something is auditory then I don't hear it nor process it very well at all. If I have something on-line to read, I print it out so that I can highlight, write notes, and draw things all over it. :tongue

Rick-O-Shay said:
am a huge techy. I use computers for everything,

I am a 'techie' too, but I agree that we will never go completely paperless. Not in my lifetime anyway.

Rick-O-Shay said:
books will never die.

DIE BOOKS! DIE!!!!!!!

:chair :onfire :twopistols :twopistols :twopistols :fullauto :fullauto :fullauto :fencing :fencing :armed :robinhood :chicken :fight

Back