Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Who was First in the Body of Christ ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

dan p

Hi to all , and Rom 1:1 lets us see who was the first one saved by Grace .

1) Paul a servant of Jesus Christ , having been called an Apostle , SEPARATED unto the gospel of God .

2) The means of separated , Greek word , APHORIZO , means to mark off by Boundries , or to Limit .

3) APHORIZO is in the Greek Perfect Tense , and it means a Past Action , with Continuing Results .And that means Paul was SEPARATED to ONLY preach the Gospel of the Grace of God , and Nothing else . Those were his boundries and what Paul was limited to preach , and that means that Paul DID NOT PREACH what Jesus or what the 12 apostles Preached .

4) It is in the Greek Passive Voice , and means that it was God that PUT him into that Position .

5) It is also in the Greek Indicative Mood , which means that what happened to Paul , was a LITERAL fact .

6) That makes Paul the first one saved by Grace , and this is what Paul preached , Acts 20:24 .

Proof that Paul was First in the Body of Christ

Hi to all , and in 1 Tim 1:15 and 16 we have an interesting word .

1) Faithful is the Word and worthly of all reception , that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners , of whom I am FIRST .

2) The KJV HAS TRANSLATED it Chief , but it also can be translated , by the word FIRST .

3) The Greek word PROTOS can be translated by First or by Chief .

4) The context in the 1 ch , is talking about first , and CHIEF in a secondary sense , when speaking of Rank and Dignity . Just check out W.E.Vines Greek Dictionary and see .

5) In verse 16 , But for this reason I was given mercy , in order that in ME FIRST Christ Jesus might show forth all longsuffering for a Pattern OF THE ONES COMING TO BELIEVE ON hIM unto everlasting life . Notice that PROTOS is used again in v 16 and NOT CHIEF , WHY not ?

6) Verse 16 , CONFIRMS THAT IT IS TALKING ABOUT SALVATION and not about Paul being the worst of sinners of his time . Did not Israel murder Christ , Acts 2:36 ? So who was worst ?

7) There are many viewpoints as to when the Body of Christ began ; in Genesis , Acts 2 , Acts 9 , Acts 11 , Acts 13 , Acts 28 , but Acts 9 , is the Only one with a solid Scriptual foundation , all others can be discarded for LACK of scriptual support , and CONTEXT .

8) Paul was not ONLY the First one in the Body , but is the ONLY ONE that REVEALS , that there is a Body of Christ and notice that Jesus NOR the 12 Apostles write , that THERE is a Body of Christ .

Re: Proof that Paul was First in the Body of Christ

dan p said:
2) The KJV HAS TRANSLATED it Chief , but it also can be translated , by the word FIRST .
1 Tim 1:15 Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
KJV

1 Tim 1:15 Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, among whom I am foremost of all.
NASU

1 Tim 1:Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners-of whom I am the worst.
NIV

1 Tim 1:Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief:
ASV

These 4 different translations are sufficient proof to me to understand the meaning. Beyond that, I also believe I am among the "chief of sinners" along with Paul! It is/was my sins that killed our Lord, not the sins of those who blieve not on Jesus Christ the Son of God!

Sorry, I've merged your two topics and moved them to the AP forum. ;)
Personally, I don't see the significance who was saved by grace first within the new covenant. But anyway, I would have thought it to be the thief on the cross...

Grace and Peace.

The first to be saved by grace would be the first person who was saved. Salvation has always been by grace, not the Mosaic law or anything else. Faith in Christ has always been the way to take sins away (or cover them until Christ died), whether through faith in His future first coming (OT saints), or faith in His past first coming (all of us NT saints). The gospel has never changed. Read Rom.4; Gal.3; and Heb.4 off the top of my head. Israel had grace as we do. Grace not only preceded the NT saints, but Israel as well. Noah found grace (Gen.6:8-9) from God, and that was about 1,000 years before the Mosaic law was given and a few hundred years before Abraham was even alive (who had the same gospel we have and was justified by grace, not of works, since Abraham was justified 430 yrs before the law (Gal.3:17). How else could they be our example of salvation and the loss of it if they were saved by some other means (Rom.11:17-24; 1 Cor.10:1-11; Heb.4:1-11; 12:25; Jude 3-5)?

XTruth said:
The first to be saved by grace would be the first person who was saved. Salvation has always been by grace, not the Mosaic law or anything else. Faith in Christ has always been the way to take sins away (or cover them until Christ died), whether through faith in His future first coming (OT saints), or faith in His past first coming (all of us NT saints). The gospel has never changed. Read Rom.4; Gal.3; and Heb.4 off the top of my head. Israel had grace as we do. Grace not only preceded the NT saints, but Israel as well. Noah found grace (Gen.6:8-9) from God, and that was about 1,000 years before the Mosaic law was given and a few hundred years before Abraham was even alive (who had the same gospel we have and was justified by grace, not of works, since Abraham was justified 430 yrs before the law (Gal.3:17). How else could they be our example of salvation and the loss of it if they were saved by some other means (Rom.11:17-24; 1 Cor.10:1-11; Heb.4:1-11; 12:25; Jude 3-5)?

Hi XTruth , when I look at my concordence , Grace is found and revealed by the Apostle Paul , and not by Noah . Grace can be translated by 12 different words ; by acceptable in 1 Peter 2:20 ; by Benefit in 2 Cor 1:15 ; by Favor in Luke 1:30 , 2:52 , Acts 2:47 ; by Gift in 2 Cor 8:4 ; by Paul , 130 times and that should let you know why Paul is called the Apostle of Grace of God , and that means that your aguement is MOOT .

1) You DO NOT find the Grace of God in the OT , OR THE Gospels .

2) Grace and truth came by Jesus Christ , BUT the Dispensation of the Grace of God was given to ONLY one Apostle , and that was Paul , and when you all look up the word Grace , 97% is by Paul , sorry .

Hi XTruth , I hope this does NOT anger you to much , BUT Translation ARE NOT INSPIRED , SO YOUR Argument is MOOT to me , and the Context of 1 Tim 15and 16 , back me up .

Moot
MOOT, v.t. [L. contra.] To debate; to discuss; to argue for and against. The word is applied chiefly to the disputes of students in law, who state a question and discuss it by way of exercise to qualify themselves for arguing causes in court.

MOOT, v.i. To argue or plead on a supposed cause.

MOOT

In Christ,

Pogo

1) You DO NOT find the Grace of God in the OT , OR THE Gospels .

2) Grace and truth came by Jesus Christ , BUT the Dispensation of the Grace of God was given to ONLY one Apostle , and that was Paul , and when you all look up the word Grace , 97% is by Paul , sorry.
Herein lies the danger of doing Bible studied based solely on simple words studies and ignoring any form of systematic theology. This is also a case of taking dispensational theology to the extreme.

Grace was evident throughout the OT. It was around before the foundation of the world. God never changes and Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever.

dan p said:

1) Paul a servant of Jesus Christ , having been called an Apostle , SEPARATED unto the gospel of God .

2) The means of separated , Greek word , APHORIZO , means to mark off by Boundries , or to Limit .

3) APHORIZO is in the Greek Perfect Tense , and it means a Past Action , with Continuing Results .And that means Paul was SEPARATED to ONLY preach the Gospel of the Grace of God , and Nothing else . Those were his boundries and what Paul was limited to preach , and that means that Paul DID NOT PREACH what Jesus or what the 12 apostles Preached .

4) It is in the Greek Passive Voice , and means that it was God that PUT him into that Position .

5) It is also in the Greek Indicative Mood , which means that what happened to Paul , was a LITERAL fact .

6) That makes Paul the first one saved by Grace , and this is what Paul preached , Acts 20:24 .
Wow. Never heard this before. Paul himself show that Abraham was a recipient of God's grace:

Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed and so became the father of many nations, just as it had been said to him, "So shall your offspring be."[d] 19Without weakening in his faith, he faced the fact that his body was as good as deadâ€â€since he was about a hundred years oldâ€â€and that Sarah's womb was also dead. 20Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, 21being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised. 22This is why "it was credited to him as righteousness." 23The words "it was credited to him" were written not for him alone, 24but also for us, to whom God will credit righteousnessâ€â€for us who believe in him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead. 25He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification

Now, are you going to say that Paul did not see Abraham as having been justified (and saved) by grace?

If so, how would you explain what Paul is saying in this text, in light of such a view?

Drew said:
dan p said:

Wow. Never heard this before. Paul himself show that Abraham was a recipient of God's grace:

Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed and so became the father of many nations, just as it had been said to him, "So shall your offspring be."[d] 19Without weakening in his faith, he faced the fact that his body was as good as deadâ€â€since he was about a hundred years oldâ€â€and that Sarah's womb was also dead. 20Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, 21being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised. 22This is why "it was credited to him as righteousness." 23The words "it was credited to him" were written not for him alone, 24but also for us, to whom God will credit righteousnessâ€â€for us who believe in him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead. 25He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification

Now, are you going to say that Paul did not see Abraham as having been justified (and saved) by grace?

If so, how would you explain what Paul is saying in this text, in light of such a view?

Good point, Drew. I would have stayed in the NT and said Mary before I read this. She was the first who believed.

Drew said:
dan p said:

Hi Drew , and in Rom 4:5 , that Abram ( It should be Abram and not Abraham ) tells it better than I could . There is a difference between Grace and the Dispensation of the Grace of God that was given to Paul to reveal to Gentiles , kings and the children of Israel , in Acts 9:15 , where Christ commission the Apostle of Grace to the Gentiles .

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back