Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why am I such a cynic when it comes to Prayer?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
M

my3boys

I'm trying to become a better christian. I know I need to work on my prayer life. I only pray telling God thanks for all the things he has given me. I don't ever pray for people's healing and such like I know I should. I just figure God has it all worked out the way it's going to be anyway. It's not like he has to look at our opinion on who to heal etc. I get so tired of all the studies done that says prayers really works/prayers are answered!! Because when the prayer does not work out the way you want, aka:the person dies, I just figured that's the way God had intened the whole time. How come when something turns out the way you want, "the prayer is answered Praise God". But when it turns out the other way, no one ever says "Praise God!"

I feel so bad about this. I feel like a bad person. I am trying not to think like this. I do pray some but not like I should. I just pray to God that I will accept the way things turn out. It's not like I'm going to change his mind on the subject.

I'm a fairly new christian although I've went to church my whole life. But, I'm very confused about things sometimes.

Prayer is essential to a christians life. First off God is our Father in Heaven and he wants to simply communicate with us. Here's one way of looking at it. Lets say you don't live at home you live some distance away. One day you drive over to your dad's home you walk in walk right past your dad you do not say hell-o you do not even acknowledge him and you leave. Would not that upset your father. Also it is part of getting closer to God so you will have his guideance. Prayer does not have to be a long drawn out bunch of holy words and following some ritulistic set of rules it can be a simply hell-o Dad thank you for this day. Jesus prayed all the time. If you a new Christian you will find yourself praying more and more. The Bible says Jesus is a friend that sticks closer that a brother. Man will sometimes fail you, but God will not.
God Bless You In The Name of Jesus.
Rob

Don't feel like a bad person...

Prayer is a complicated thing, though albeit, essential to the fruitful spiritual life. It isn't about manipulating God into doing your will, but it is about nurturing a spirit of openess to God's will.

Prayer does not only involve our petitions to God, but it is "the raising of one's mind and heart to God... when we pray, do we speak from the height of our pride and will, or "out of the depths" of a humble and contrite heart? Humility is the foundation of prayer, Only when we humbly acknowledge that "we do not know how to pray as we ought," are we ready to receive freely the gift of prayer. "Man is a beggar before God."

The supreme model of prayer was given to us by Christ himself as the "Our Father". This prayer involves all types of prayer. It directs us as a community united and upwards (Our Father who art in Heaven) It anticipates the coming of God's Kingdom (Thy Kingdom Come), it invokes a spirit of openness to the Father's will (thy will be done) it seeks to bring Heaven to earth (the Incarnation principle, may it be on earth as it is in Heaven, may God rule supremely on earth as he does in Heaven). It petitions God for our basic needs (Give us our daily bread) but it also recalls the supreme sacrifice of Christ himself who has given himself so fully to us that he is our daily bread and spiritual food. It is a prayer of contrition, (Forgive us our trespasses) Man is humbled before God, acknowleding his sinfullness and asking for forgiveness. Yet it unites man to his brothers and sisters (as we forgive those who have trespassed against us) The mercy of God is to pass through us and shape our spirit in the image of his mercy. Our forgiveness is tied up with how we treat others. Lastly this prayer asks for God's guidance and light (lead us not in temptation) and it cries out to God like the Israelites in bondage, (but deliver us from evil!) recalling the salvation cycle of Israelite sacred history perfected in Christ's Cross.

As you can see, prayer is not just about petitions to God to heal people, but it involves and synthesisizes the whole of the Christian life. At the same time, it is the foundation of it.

"prayer is a surge of the heart; it is a simple look turned toward heaven, it is a cry of recognition and love, embracing both trial and joy" -St. Therese of Lisieux

I would suggest starting your prayers with the Our Father, echoing the very words of Jesus to our Father in Heaven. Remember that prayer is a participation in the Trinitarian life of God. When we pray, we do so through Christ, using the words he gave us, to the Father he has reconciled us with. When we pray, we are doing so in the power of the Holy Spirit who is "the master of the interior life" and who is poured out upon us like oil as the sign of the Father and the Son's beloved unity.

2563 The heart is the dwelling-place where I am, where I live; according to the Semitic or Biblical expression, the heart is the place "to which I withdraw." The heart is our hidden center, beyond the grasp of our reason and of others; only the Spirit of God can fathom the human heart and know it fully. The heart is the place of decision, deeper than our psychic drives. It is the place of truth, where we choose life or death. It is the place of encounter, because as image of God we live in relation: it is the place of covenant.

2564 Christian prayer is a covenant relationship between God and man in Christ. It is the action of God and of man, springing forth from both the Holy Spirit and ourselves, wholly directed to the Father, in union with the human will of the Son of God made man. [/i]

Prayer as communion

2565 In the New Covenant, prayer is the living relationship of the children of God with their Father who is good beyond measure, with his Son Jesus Christ and with the Holy Spirit. The grace of the Kingdom is "the union of the entire holy and royal Trinity . . . with the whole human spirit."12 Thus, the life of prayer is the habit of being in the presence of the thrice-holy God and in communion with him. This communion of life is always possible because, through Baptism, we have already been united with Christ.13 Prayer is Christian insofar as it is communion with Christ and extends throughout the Church, which is his Body. Its dimensions are those of Christ's love.14

Thanks for the replies. I totally believe in Prayer. I pray everyday thanking God for everything he has given me that we sometimes take for granted. The problem I have is all the "prayer requests" that people pray for. They also say that God will sometimes not answer that prayer right away sometimes it takes time. Well, God is going to make a decision about something wheter you pray about it or not. If I pray and pray and pray for someones health healed and the person died anyway, I guess my prayer was still answered? My prayer did not "change" anything. Same as if the person had lived.

I always here there is "power in prayer" No. I think God has the power, not your prayer. I also don't understand all the "pray about it" stuff? Like if someone is going thru a difficutl time to "pray about it" Yes, I suppose God will "answer" the prayer but how do you know if it's God or just your own mind talking? I suppose you will say "you will know" but sometimes I really don't. Now, I would love for God to answer all my prayers. God "please keep my kids safe today". God "please heal so and so" It may come true. It may not but I don't understand why we ask God for stuff that may or may not happen?

A lady at my bible study was so excited because she got a christmas card from her son she has not been on good terms with in 12 years. She has been praying that long, but she said the night before she was up all night praying about it and in the mail that next day was the card from her son. Now, she says that the prayer worked but I figure the person mailed that a few days before so she would have gotten it whether she prayed or not. Right? Now, like I said I do believe prayer for thanks is very important, i just have problem with the other. I really would like to change my thinking but not sure how?

Hmmm, that isn't an argument. It isn't even an observation.

Please, do enlighten us A-Chrisian.

I can not wait.

V.

Hello V.
First, would you please briefly state your beliefs concerning religion.
Also, could you explain your username for the benefit of the other members.

Orion--it's funny you say you are like that, too because although I don't read these boards a lot I have read some of your posts and I'm like Wow!! that guy/gal sounds just like me!! At least I know I'm not the only confused person out there.

It goes something like this. Regarding salvation. They say there's NOTHING you can do. So if there's nothing I can do, there's nothing I can do....except accept God's invitation. So I try to do that but I can't decide if I just invited myself or did God really call me? Do I REALLY feel strongly toward reading/learning the word or am I just doing it to be a GOOD GIRL? (one day I'll say God must have called me, the next day I'll say nah my husband had an awesome life changing experience/salvation and I am looking to find that, too. Mine was none to exciting like I read about people on here. I didn't have this awesome feeling or peace come over me or anything but I did feel like it was something I needed to work out) Sometimes I have no idea what I'm thinking. I try not to make it complicated but sometimes when my brain gets moving I make it that way.

Well, I'm just rambling. Thanks for the replies.

Back