Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why Debate?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Oats

What do you believe the point of debating with someone with a different opinion from yours is?

Why debate if you know your point is correct, and your oponent won't change

there is a difference between debate and discussions...

i don't understand internet debate, i tried, it's whack

Oats,

Not all debates are arguements designed to prove yourself more right than someone else. Some debates are really discussions between people who are actually seeking the sincere opinion of others so that they may learn the Truth.

Unfortunately, I have found that forums attract all types and finding people who are sincerely trying to learn from one another without an agenda in place is rare. But there are merits to debating/discussing issues. We, me, you don't know everything. There is always room to grow and if one is truly seeking the Truth, the the Father will faithful guide you into truth. A discussion with another member can cement how you feel on a particular subject or it can help you see that you need to hit the Bible more and study. But learning about The Father and His Son will not stop until we take our last breath...and even then on the other side I believe we are still learning. :)

So don't diss the discussions. They helped me tackle gog/magog and forced me to study because I thought that the popular pov on the discussion boards made no sense to me. God forced me into the OT at all hours but when I finsihed I had a better understanding than I ever had. The debates caused me to figure it out on my own with the help of the HS. I am grateful because until I read the debates I didn't even know there was an issue.

Blessings,
Dee

Well,

First, if you know you're right and the other person refuses to see their honest mistake int he face of overbearing evidence than they are not arguing with logic but with emotion. And an emotional argument is one that will never produce anything but negativity. They ought to be avoided at all costs.

Second, debate is just as important for the guy in the wrong as it is for the guy in the right. I debate in order to see fatal flaws in my own arguments and thus I can close those holes and provide my beliefs with an even stronger defense. The reason I debate things beyond religion is because debating mundane things (like animal rights or eating meat or something that is really non-essential int he long run) helps improve your overall debating technique and helps strengthen you in general.

In summary:

I think it is important to not only have opinions but to be able to defend said opinions and that is the purpose of debate.

What do you believe the point of debating with someone with a different opinion from yours is?

I agree with Dee. When I am challenged, I find myself searching for the Truth on the most diverse subjects. Sometimes the conversation on a rather benign subject forces me to look up...Jewish. burial rites, for example.

The main reason I'm here, on a Protestant forum (I'm Catholic) is to strengthen my faith. It has always seemed to me that I might be missing something. I know the Catholic faith is the true faith, but I could be wrong. How would I know if I didn't hear all the arguments? It seems from reading Paul's letters, I'm in good company. It seems like half his preaching was arguing for Christianity.

Besides, I like to argue...ok, that's the real reason. :)

Sent using my cellular telephone device via the interweb.

Well,

First, if you know you're right and the other person refuses to see their honest mistake int he face of overbearing evidence than they are not arguing with logic but with emotion. And an emotional argument is one that will never produce anything but negativity. They ought to be avoided at all costs.

Second, debate is just as important for the guy in the wrong as it is for the guy in the right. I debate in order to see fatal flaws in my own arguments and thus I can close those holes and provide my beliefs with an even stronger defense. The reason I debate things beyond religion is because debating mundane things (like animal rights or eating meat or something that is really non-essential int he long run) helps improve your overall debating technique and helps strengthen you in general.

In summary:

I think it is important to not only have opinions but to be able to defend said opinions and that is the purpose of debate.

Amen...

Sent using my cellular telephone device via the interweb.

Debating profits nothing more than ones own opinion and opinions are only ones own speculations derived from a carnal mind of rationalization. When we present the word of God with scriptural reference then and only then can one get into the word by allowing the Holy Spirit teach them all truths. I would never want anyone to agree with me for what I say unless I back myself up with scripture so one can read for themselves and have the Holy Spirit confirm of what is being taught is truth or error.

We are all on different levels of learning and when we come together in forums like this we have the opportunity and privilege to share what we have learned with others and this is how we grow in the word of God by taking what has been shared in scripture and studying for ourselves so we may be approved by God.

2Timothy 2:15 Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
2Timothy 2:16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

Why not? It lets me look into the minds of those much, much inferior to me. :thumbsup :biggrin

Good question!! debate is an art and a passion when done with respect and credability, nothing wrong with a good passionate debate., but to argue a point just for the sake of arguing is senseless. Debates are what makes people vote for a President, what makes congress vote for laws etc,. To go into a debate thinking you are right vs having substantial proof is then determined on how well you present your theory, proof and theory are two different things.

In the case of religion we often rely on passages in the Holy Bible, problem is 3 people have an entirely different interpretation of that passage.

Plant your seeds and move on and let the good LORD do the rest when debating religion, also open your mind when you are debating with the opponet he may just be right and you may learn something.:waving

I look to dialog more so than debate!

When I position myself to debate, I do my best to cross my T's and dot my I's (say nothing of looking for weakness in my opponent's position! HAHA).

When I dialog, I converse on common ground as well as ground not so common!

Be blessed, Stay blessed!

Because there are more lurkers than posters.

It's fun?
m03135.gif

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back