Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why did God speak to Balaam?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Esther1

So the elders of Moab and(H) the elders of Midian departed with(I) the fees for divination in their hand. And they came to Balaam and gave him Balak’s message. 8And he said to them, "Lodge here tonight, and I will bring back word to you, as the LORD speaks to me." So the princes of Moab stayed with Balaam. 9(J) And God came to Balaam and said, "Who are these men with you?" 10And Balaam said to God, "Balak the son of Zippor, king of Moab, has sent to me, saying, 11'Behold, a people has come out of Egypt, and it covers the face of the earth. Now come, curse them for me. Perhaps I shall be able to fight against them and drive them out.'" 12God said to Balaam, "You shall not go with them. You shall not curse the people, for(K) they are blessed." 13So Balaam rose in the morning and said to the princes of Balak, "Go to your own land, for the LORD has refused to let me go with you." 14So the princes of Moab rose and went to Balak and said, "Balaam refuses to come with us." (Numbers 22)

Balaam was a foreteller of events (by other words he was mage). I do not understand why God spoke to him. Moreover as it is seen from the passage Balaam knew God, as he told “….I will bring back word to you, as the LORD speaks to me." Was it only a singular happening?

Good question! What Balaam lacked wasn't faith, but faithfulness and character. He is an example of they who have spiritual experiences but use it the wrong way. Is this not a common occurence????

I went to my Life Application Study Bible for the note on this passage about Balaam. Here's the note:

"Why would God speak through a sorcerer like Balaam? God wanted to give a message to the Moabites, and they had already chosen to employ Balaam. So Balaam was available for God to use, much as he used the wicked pharaoh to accomplish his will in Egypt (Ex. 10:1) Balaam entered into his prophetic role seriously, but his heart was mixed. He had some knowledge of God, but not enough to forsake his magic and turn wholeheartedly to God. Although this story leads us to believe he turned completely to God, later passages in the Bible show that Balaam couldn't resist the tempting pull of money and idolatry (31:16; 2 Peter 2;15-16; Jude 1:11).

Hope this helps.
God Bless.

graceforme said:
I went to my Life Application Study Bible for the note on this passage about Balaam. Here's the note:

"Why would God speak through a sorcerer like Balaam? God wanted to give a message to the Moabites, and they had already chosen to employ Balaam. So Balaam was available for God to use, much as he used the wicked pharaoh to accomplish his will in Egypt (Ex. 10:1) Balaam entered into his prophetic role seriously, but his heart was mixed. He had some knowledge of God, but not enough to forsake his magic and turn wholeheartedly to God. Although this story leads us to believe he turned completely to God, later passages in the Bible show that Balaam couldn't resist the tempting pull of money and idolatry (31:16; 2 Peter 2;15-16; Jude 1:11).

Hope this helps.
God Bless.

Thanks for the answer.
So I can make a conclusion that not only people of Israel knew God during the period of OT, but people from other nations, who worshiped to the pagan gods.

Esther1 said:
graceforme said:

Hope this helps.
God Bless.

Thanks for the answer.
So I can make a conclusion that not only people of Israel knew God during the period of OT, but people from other nations, who worshiped to the pagan gods.

The nations knew God, yes, but they didn't necessarily follow God nor had they given themselves to Him. They certainly knew about God, but chose to go their own way. God then raised up the nation of Israel to be His chosen people, and an example and channel of blessing for the Gentile nations. And even the Israelites, who knew well what God wanted, often disobeyed and failed to follow His pattern for them. Eventually, He set them aside, interrupted the kingdom program for the nation Israel, and raised up the Apostle Paul to be the apostle for the Gentile nations. (that's us)

God Bless.

Back