Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why did the Geneva Bible start using the word "pastors" in Ephesians 4:11?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Here is my latest theory on why the Geneva Bible started using the word "Pastors" in place of "shepherds" in Ephesians 4:11.

Please bear in mind that this is just a theory. I will need to do more historical research to see if history backs up this theory or not. When I say theory I only refer to the reason the word "Pastors" was used in the Geneva. Much of what I say next is not theory otherwise.

Church oversight in the New Testament was by a multiplicity of Elders. Don't think of present day elders when reading that sentence. I am talking about New Testament Elders who were not the same in function or role as what many churches today call elders.

The closest thing to New Testament Elders is what we call Pastors today but, as like with modern day elders and New Testament Elders, New Testament Elders and today's Pastors are not the same in function and role within church life.

Suffice it to say that New Testament churches were overseen by a group of Elders. NEVER just one.

That's the key point I wish to make to support what I say next.

At some point, I think somewhere in the 3rd or 4th century after Christ...the model of church oversight shifted to that of Bishop rule. Where there was one man over others who were known as presbyters.

That Bishop came to be known as a Parson.

In time the Parson also came to be referred to as a Pastor.

So Pastor referred to the ONE man who oversaw others under him and who all oversaw the church body or in the case of the Bishop (Parson or Pastor if you will) he may have been in charge of various parishes.

Reformers like Luther and John Calvin corrected much false doctrine that had crept into the church but they did not correct the overall model of church government that had been in existence up to that time. I refer to the concept of ONE man rule over church life.

For hundreds of years before the Geneva Bible came out the word Pastor had referred to that ONE man over church life.

As different from presbyters or elders.

In other words the model of oversight in the New Testament of having multiple, co-equal in authority, Elders had corrupted into a model of ONE man - the Pastor with a number of others - referred to as elders or presbyters under him.

If all that is true, and again I must stress that it is just a theory at this point, then the Geneva Bible translators - when they used the word "Pastors" were likely just making a clearer distinction between the shepherding function of Pastors (as they were generally known) and Elders who biblically, also had a shepherding function within the church.

It wasn't an attempt to create a new position or anything like that. Rather it was simply a rendering of the Greek using words that more clearly defined the role of a Pastor as opposed to an Elder.

Which was based on a faulty understanding that there were two such persons in church life.

It remains to be seen if history backs up my theory :).

Carlos

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back