Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why do Christians close their eyes during prayer?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
T

TruthSeeker2012

Why do Christians close their eyes during prayer when it's nowhere taught in Scripture?

What difference does it make?

It makes a big difference, because you do things which you think is biblical, but it's not biblical at all.

Many people do things which they believe are taught in Bible, yet they don't know it's not taught anywhere in Bible.

How many people reading this can genuinely and sincerely and honestly admit they been praying for years with their eyes closed and never thought about WHY they do it, or if it's biblical?

And why do people assemble in large crowds in the open and prayer together when Jesus said that to pray, go into your room and close the door?:chin

Matthew 6:5-6 "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men...But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Just give me one scripture where it says that it is sinful to pray together with other believers or one to prove it is sinful to pray with your eyes closed.

Matt. 6:5 diqualifies itself because it says that it is talking about people who were making a spectacle of themselves and their prayers.

Last edited by a moderator:
It makes a big difference, because you do things which you think is biblical, but it's not biblical at all.

Many people do things which they believe are taught in Bible, yet they don't know it's not taught anywhere in Bible.

How many people reading this can genuinely and sincerely and honestly admit they been praying for years with their eyes closed and never thought about WHY they do it, or if it's biblical?

And why do people assemble in large crowds in the open and prayer together when Jesus said that to pray, go into your room and close the door?:chin

Matthew 6:5-6 "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men...But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
So from your logic anything that doesnt' apprear in the Bible is sinful? That would include the internet, brother. Kind of flawed reasoning, IMO.

But about your original question, I pray with my eyes closed (usually) becasue it helps me concentrate and feel less distracted by the things around me. I fail to see where this is condemmed in scripture.

Just give me one scripture where it says that it is sinful to pray together with other believers or one to prove it is sinful to pray with your eyes closed.

Matt. 6:5 diqualifies itself because it says that it is talking about people who were making a spectacle of themselves and their prayers.

Your reasoning is FLAWED horrendously!:screwloose

According to you, we are free to do anything that is not directly spoken about as being sinful. So that opens up a full can off beans to doing many sinful things just because it's not directly called a sin in Bible!

You are looking at Scripture and God's teachings backwards and your reasoning ans your method will lead to a lot of people sinning and they wll argue, "its ok, it's not directly forbidden in Bible"!:nono2

And notice the topic question "Why do Christians close their eyes during prayer?" and your answer is?

So from your logic anything that doesnt' apprear in the Bible is sinful? ....

Nick, you need to ask yourself why do you continue to make false accusations towards your neigbnour? Quote me where I have said it's SINFUL to close your eyes during prayer!

If you fail to find me saying that anywhere, then you have been busted LYING and putting words into my mouth and making false accusations, and you need to humbly apologise to me and ask for forgiveness!

NOW GET BACK ON TOPIC PLEASE!!! The question was "Why do Christians close their eyes during prayer when it's nowhere taught in Scripture?"

And what is your answers? Why do you do it when it's not taught in Bible? Reasons?

Nick, you need to ask yourself why do you continue to make false accusations towards your neigbnour? Quote me where I have said it's SINFUL to close your eyes during prayer!
You didn't say it's sinful, but you did say that it's not Biblical, which leads me to believe that at the very least, you don't think it's a good thing: (also notice that I said "by your logic" with a question mark)

If you fail to find me saying that anywhere, then you have been busted LYING and putting words into my mouth and making false accusations, and you need to humbly apologise to me and ask for forgiveness!
If I have misquoted you, then I apologise. But please don't accuse me of lying. I find it interesting that you immediately jump to the conclusion of me being willfully deceptive.

NOW GET BACK ON TOPIC PLEASE!!! The question was "Why do Christians close their eyes during prayer when it's nowhere taught in Scripture?"

And what is your answers? Why do you do it when it's not taught in Bible? Reasons?
So what did you mean when you said that closing your eyes during prayer is not Biblical?

Does the Bible ever mention anything about what we do with our eyes when praying? I don't think it does. Therefore I must come to the conclusion that God doesn't care whether we pray with our eyes open or closed. What we pray about, why, how and with what heart is much more important. Particulary if closing my eyes while praying helps me concentrate.

You didn't say it's sinful, but you did say that it's not Biblical, which leads me to believe that at the very least, you don't think it's a good thing: (also notice that I said "by your logic" with a question mark)

If I have misquoted you, then I apologise. But please don't accuse me of lying. I find it interesting that you immediately jump to the conclusion of me being willfully deceptive.

So what did you mean when you said that closing your eyes during prayer is not Biblical?

Does the Bible ever mention anything about what we do with our eyes when praying? I don't think it does. Therefore I must come to the conclusion that God doesn't care whether we pray with our eyes open or closed. What we pray about, why, how and with what heart is much more important. Particulary if closing my eyes while praying helps me concentrate.

4. Many things are not biblical, which means the Bible doesn't teach it, but that don't mean everything is a sin. E.g patting my dog and hugging my dog, it's not biblical to do so, but it's not a sin either!

5. So answer me please... WHY do you close your eyes during prayer when Jesus nor Bible teaches to do so?:chin

Truthseeker2012, should eyes be kept open during prayer? What say you?

Often, I pray when I'm driving so I guess it's good that I do keep them open. When I'm not driving depending on where I am, I close them simply to block out the world so that I can focus on God. And then other times I pray with them open if I'm looking at a cross or crucifix, or stars in the sky, or anything else that makes apparent the glory of God.

4. Many things are not biblical, which means the Bible doesn't teach it, but that don't mean everything is a sin. E.g patting my dog and hugging my dog, it's not biblical to do so, but it's not a sin either!
Ok. Thankyou for clarifying. That's all you had to do.

5. So answer me please... WHY do you close your eyes during prayer when Jesus nor Bible teaches to do so?:chin
I did! Several times! Here is my response from last time:

Nick said:

I would appreciate it, as according to the ToS, that if you wish to continue this dscussion of me being a liar, that you take it to PM's and dscuss the topic at hand here.

Truthseeker2012, should eyes be kept open during prayer? What say you?

Often, I pray when I'm driving so I guess it's good that I do keep them open. When I'm not driving depending on where I am, I close them simply to block out the world so that I can focus on God. And then other times I pray with them open if I'm looking at a cross or crucifix, or stars in the sky, or anything else that makes apparent the glory of God.

When I pray my eyes are always open. I speak to God as a Best Friend and my eyes are wide open as I speak to God throughout the whole day.

Truthseeker

This moderator has had about enough of your bulling.
Your posts read to me that when some one does not agree with you judge them to be false. Carry on like a spoiled child. I have had enough...'

5 - Respect each others' opinions. Address issues, not persons or personalities.

6 - No Bashing of other members. Give other members the respect you would want them to give yourself.

10- If a rule is broken, proper warning will be given to the user based on the level of infraction of the rule. Some violations are more severe and frequent than others and will be taken into consideration. It may result in banning of user or loss of some options. As a general rule, three infractions may result in suspension of account.

Editing and deleting of posts is at the discretion of the Mods and Admins. Refusal of membership and suspension or termination of existing members is at the discretion of the Administrators. Openly challenging a Mod or Admin is frowned upon.

Your post will be/are edited:

You can learn how to get along like a grown up or be put in 'time out' like a child.

My job is to edit your post of what i think is offensive.

Reading a bit more of your posts. This moderator is not please. You have no Biblical right or justification to badger and call names of others.

When I pray my eyes are always open. I speak to God as a Best Friend and my eyes are wide open as I speak to God throughout the whole day.
I was going to respond with a statement like, "But by your reasoning it isn't Biblical to pray with our eyes open either." But then a thought occurred to me and so I did a quick search in my Bible and found the following scripture and I think I see where you might be going with this. The Bible does in fact speak about Jesus praying with His eyes open.

And he commanded the multitude to sit down on the grass, and took the five loaves, and the two fishes, and looking up to heaven, he blessed, and brake, and gave the loaves to his disciples, and the disciples to the multitude. Matt.14:19 KJV also Luke 9:16 and Mark 6:41

And looking up to heaven, he sighed, and saith unto him, Ephphatha, that is, Be opened. Mark 7:34 KJV

I've never given it much thought but I will say that I usually close my eyes but not always. Not becasue I think I must but because it is easier for me to focus on my prayer by removing distraction, centering my thoughts, and helping me listen. I close my eyes other times too when I just want to relax and take in the sounds, smells, and feelings of God's creation and presence around me.

There is also the example of the Tax collector who beats his chest while looking up in prayer...

But more to the point of the OP. We close our eyes in reverence to the Lord.

Praying takes on many different forms. David was laying down sobbing, no doubt eyes closed in anguish over the fate of his son while fasting and in prayer. No doubt he prayed laying down, sitting up, standing up, eyes opened, eyes closed etc...

Is there a right way to pray? The Apostles asked Jesus how to pray, and he told them how to pray...

Our Father, who art in heaven, hollowed be they Name. Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on Earth, as it is in Heaven...

It's not about posturing, it's about content. It's about the heart.

Jesus even tells us how not to pray, and uses the Pharisees as an example when they posture in the market, arms raised while looking up.

Prayer is about being real with God, wheather your eyes are closed or arms raised up, wheather your have a smile on your face or tears running down your cheeks.

Is there a right way to pray? The Apostles asked Jesus how to pray, and he told them how to pray...

Our Father, who art in heaven, hollowed be they Name. Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on Earth, as it is in Heaven...

It's not about posturing, it's about content. It's about the heart.
Right before teaching the Lord's prayer, Jesus said "When you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathens do..."

I bring this up because even the Lord's Prayer can be a "vain repetition" if one is not praying it from the heart. I'm not saying that any prayer that is repeated more than once is a vain repetition...the key word here is vain, not repetition.

It is exactly what Jeff said, it's about the content and the heart.

As a mother, I taught my children to pray with eyes closed and hands folded simply because when their eyes were opened and their hands were busy...they weren't praying. I would imagine that many mothers and Sunday School teachers taught many children to pray this way over the years. Then as the child of God grew up to be the man or woman of God, that posture of prayer remained more or less the same.

Since I wasn't raised in a Christian home...I was never "taught" to pray...I just did pray...I just talked with God. I probably looked like I was talking to myself. I still do the same thing when I'm driving, or washing dishes or even reading through these posts here at this forum and pray for people on the spot. But, I also do the "fold the hands, bow the head, close the eyes" posture as well. When one thinks about it...it's a way of going into an "inner room" even in a crowd of people.

There is a danger with the whole idea of "if it's not specifically mentioned in the Bible, then we cannot do it" mentality. It can really lead to legalistic thinking. The idea that we need to look at every instance of people praying in the Scriptures...see what their posture was and only pray that way...is flawed, because it places the focus of prayer on the outward, exactly what Jesus told us not to do.

I do it so that I keep my mind on what I am praying about. Jesus could probably manage to keep His eyes open, but I'm not Him.

And why do people assemble in large crowds in the open and prayer together when Jesus said that to pray, go into your room and close the door?

You posted your answer to your question with the question! ;) See, when I join my neighbors to pray at the flag pole each summer, I am not there to be seen by anyone - I am there to stand by my neighbors, to unite in Christ.
How ELSE can we understand this verse:
"Where to or more are gathered, I am there with them..."

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back