Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why Do Christians Judge One Another?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Why do we judge one another and think so highly of ourselves? We think we are not capable of disobeying the Lord. We have all sinned and fallen short. We have all disobeyed the Lord as little children disobey their parents. We do not walk in the love of Christ as we should. We do not love our brothers and sisters and up hold them as we should. The ministry of Christ was (Love) He is love, and will always be love. We quote the bible from front to back and all the scriptures we know. Yet have not the true love of Jesus to give to others. We judge others and think we have this right. We don't. Just because we are Christians and live a blessed life... does not mean we are better than others. Remembering where God brought us from and the sinful condition we were in. We thank Him for changing us and continue to give that love to others. Not our love and what we think is good enough.... but the LOVE that is found in Christ Jesus as we are called to walk as He walked and to love one another as He loves us.

Its mainly because we are very social as humans. As long as there is an "enemy" for Christians to fight against, all the petty bickering gets put on the back burner. I think that is why there is always some kind of "controversy" and why movies such as God's not Dead and Heaven is for Real are so popular. It gives an illusion that Christians are fighting against some kind of evil enemy that is everywhere. It brings people together. However, the problem is that these movies and some of the political movements are like cheap gum, it looses its flavor quickly and then the in fighting starts again.

We as humans can be pretty petty because we want things to conform to how we understand them. When people differ they fight. A good example I saw in fiction would be the Walking Dead Comics. At the beginning everyone is just happy to be surviving and banding together, whenever there is down time or a sense of safeness, people start to turn on each other. Differences come out and people fight. One of the biggest arcs in the comic was over a resource dispute and the Zombies were barely a part of it.

Just throwing that out there.

Why do we judge one another and think so highly of ourselves? We quote the bible from front to back and all the scriptures we know.
Please don't judge me, but I think the following scripture applies to your original post. :)
Rom 14:1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
Rom 14:2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
Rom 14:3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.
Rom 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
Rom 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
Rom 14:6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
Rom 14:7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.
Rom 14:8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.

Its mainly because we are very social as humans. As long as there is an "enemy" for Christians to fight against, all the petty bickering gets put on the back burner. I think that is why there is always some kind of "controversy" and why movies such as God's not Dead and Heaven is for Real are so popular. It gives an illusion that Christians are fighting against some kind of evil enemy that is everywhere. It brings people together. However, the problem is that these movies and some of the political movements are like cheap gum, it looses its flavor quickly and then the in fighting starts again.

We as humans can be pretty petty because we want things to conform to how we understand them. When people differ they fight. A good example I saw in fiction would be the Walking Dead Comics. At the beginning everyone is just happy to be surviving and banding together, whenever there is down time or a sense of safeness, people start to turn on each other. Differences come out and people fight. One of the biggest arcs in the comic was over a resource dispute and the Zombies were barely a part of it.

Just throwing that out there.
This is so true. That's why when the church is being persecuted or things in the world are especially bad, Christians come together, shape up their act, and people get saved. People think about how they are the same rather than how they differ.
The same dynamics go on in natural families. I can say whatever I want about my sibling but YOU had better not.

Initially I was thinking that I get along with pretty much everybody, but then (and we all experience this), my family has seen and sometimes still sees a side of me no one else has, one that's not quite as nice and agreeable. ^^; I guess humans, even those who genuinely want to get along with others and think the best of others, just have a thing for conflict? We blame others for things? I don't even know why 99% of the conflicts with my immediate family happened.

You see this kind of thing in churches, too. People have different ideas of how things should be run, and that doesn't always go over so well. And things get complicated, it gets confusing, and people can be like "I'm not sure what went wrong, maybe you're the problem". Life is confusing, we don't always know what we're fighting I guess.

Why do we judge one another and think so highly of ourselves? We think we are not capable of disobeying the Lord. We have all sinned and fallen short. We have all disobeyed the Lord as little children disobey their parents. We do not walk in the love of Christ as we should. We do not love our brothers and sisters and up hold them as we should. The ministry of Christ was (Love) He is love, and will always be love. We quote the bible from front to back and all the scriptures we know. Yet have not the true love of Jesus to give to others. We judge others and think we have this right. We don't. Just because we are Christians and live a blessed life... does not mean we are better than others. Remembering where God brought us from and the sinful condition we were in. We thank Him for changing us and continue to give that love to others. Not our love and what we think is good enough.... but the LOVE that is found in Christ Jesus as we are called to walk as He walked and to love one another as He loves us.
Yes! mswright6488, but it was my thinking that I thought I was just the way you are thinking now! some years ago, when I had repented of all of my sins, at least them that I thought I needed/wanted to get rid of anyway, but it was not enough as the scriptures says, for an example: II Chronicles 7:14, would go with Acts 2:36-40.

Because as a start I thought that I can just get free of all! of my youthful lust and so on, but I found later in life of the true meaning of each scripture has a deeper revelation and outreach. I had to study more II Timothy 2:15. And about the above statement of yours I would rather continue my faith walk as time goes on, but still continue in his sayings all the days of my life to know of at least the Love of The Truth. 2 Thessalonians 2

Last edited:
Why do we judge one another and think so highly of ourselves?

Ignorance.

Romans 2
1 Therefore you are inexcusable, O man, whoever you are who judge, for in whatever you judge another you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things.

Kick_Can_emoticon.gif

There's also so many different ways of approaching Christ/Christianity, at least in Protestant circles. Once somebody becomes visible, big enough to be on the radar, they're vulnerable to attack for apostasy, false doctrine, "selling out," etc. Not that the criticisms are always wrong or whatever, just....it seems that all Christians who move up in position, be it in a local church or something more public, more visible, are vulnerable to attack from...somebody.

Think of what these boards could read like if the staff was not around to 'judge' members... Like most things in life there needs to be balance... Balance seems to be my new vocabulary word :confused2

How many report (judge) other members?

I think of it like this...
We are told to esteem others better than ourselves. That means to me to by default assume the best about others, don't treat them based on stuff you can't really know well enough to judge. (And we all make bad choices.) There are times you'll need to avoid some people or something, this is when they show themselves to have problematic behavior or character.

Think of what these boards could read like if the staff was not around to 'judge' members... Like most things in life there needs to be balance... Balance seems to be my new vocabulary word :confused2

I love that particular question.

I reported one poster one time because HE called ME sugar......that I did judge.... as disturbing. lol

I do.

The reports are far and in between, but every so often I find a reason to poke my nose into someone else's business.

I try to keep to myself, but the prompting of the Spirit can be overwhelming at times. :sohappy

what do you consider judging ? no doubt christians do like to judge especially other denominations . the word judge could also be said to discern try the spirits see if they are of God . if we see wrong do we speak up????? real judgement on who is saved and is not. belongs to Christ when he will judge the secrets of our heart . :oops.:mouthdrop as per report other members not my cup of tea . something to think about

What about judging? I think there may be a difference between judging and condemning.

You can either judge someone in a way that brings them down, through hypocrisy.

Or you can judge with love, that others may be exhorted. Let's see what Christ said.

Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and THEN shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
- Jesus​

Perhaps Jesus is saying that if you want to be judged well, you must judge well also?

Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.
-Jesus
Every action must be done with exhortation, encouragement, love, grace, mercy, and gentleness

That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
- Eph. 4:14-15

Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
Col 4:6

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Gal 5:22-23
Jesus also told us we would know people by their fruits. We don't want a sheep with sharp teeth in the flock. He commended churches in Revelation for rejecting false prophets.

The law says, "Do." but Grace says, "Done." Unlike Law, Grace allows us by faith to enter into everything Christ has so graciously accomplished on our behalf. Galatians 2:21 NLT

As we are all apart of the Body of Christ, there is power in unity. If we pray for someone here we are unified. Now if we are nit picking one another, or not building one another up, we are bringing strife into this place, and where there is strife, there is confusion and every evil work (James 3:16). Maybe we do it and we do not know why. But i can tell you that the enemy who is roaming about seeking whom he may devour (1 Peter 5:8) knows that if he can get the unity of the saints (that would be us) broken then our effectiveness is not as strong, and if it just so happens that there was someone in need of salvation or whatever, it could be missed.
we are called to walk in forgiveness and love towards one another, and let God take care of the rest. Being judgemental is just the flesh unchecked and uncontrolled.

Now judging the spirits of what someone is claiming to be God is totally different and i agree needs to be done.

Back