Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why do Christians like denominations?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I can't get my head around it... I really can't.

I've heard people speak with such pride at what denomination they are. Let me first explain that I am a Christian, a fellow believer in Christ, the Son of God. That's it as far as titles, in fact, I'm not bothered if someone classes me as a Christian or not, it makes no difference whatsoever, my belief is in Christ, I care little for the title. I believe in God, creator of all and trust him. So why are people so keen to announce what denomination they are? Or create a title around a subset of beliefs? Why are there 300 versions of Christianity? Are we not all one in Christ? I think it's madness, and find it disturbing that people seem to care more for the title or what they 'belong' to, rather than living for the Christ. Jesus came with a simple message, love God with all your heart, mind, body and soul and do all you can for other people.

If you had just one denomination, leaders of that denomination would be very, very powerful people. What if they decided to rebel against the Lord? Religious leaders have been known to do that, you know. If you don’t believe me, read the four Gospels.

If you had just one denomination, leaders of that denomination would be very, very powerful people. What if they decided to rebel against the Lord? Religious leaders have been known to do that, you know. If you don’t believe me, read the four Gospels.

What I'm saying is there shouldn't be a denomination at all. Just follow Christ.

What I'm saying is there shouldn't be a denomination at all. Just follow Christ.

I think there should be one denomination, (name that we call ourselves), and that should be "Christian"(Christ-follower, little Christs). With one head, who we all submit too. That would be Christ Himself, if anyone is curious.

Good point elijah23

I think there should be one denomination, (name that we call ourselves), and that should be "Christian"(Christ-follower, little Christs). With one head, who we all submit too. That would be Christ Himself, if anyone is curious.

We wont see that today, but Praise God one day soon we will all be ONE UNITED with Christ †
No more denominations yay!!!!!

Great topic for study. I like to do all my own homework so to speak. I would encourage everyone else to do the same here. Look up how things were and where the different options we have came from. The church that Paul and the early church founders started became the catholic church. Over time people came to worship the church founders along with god. The leader soon became known as the Pope. The Pope then became God on earth. Now the Bible's teachings shows that anything we worship other than god is an idol. So then worshiping the Pope is worshiping an idol. You can see why people started getting away from the catholic church. Now they got away for different reasons. England made there own church so that the king could divorce his wife. It took a lot from the catholic church however as far as structure. Others got away because they wanted to worship god freely and not those in the church. So now we have division. The key is to find those that got away for the right reasons. Then started something that had a basic structure to protect it's members.

Today we have churches popping up all over.. and we often see them fall as fast as they pop up.. I could name church after church, big Churches that had the founding pastor resign for umm different reasons. Why did they fall? Most times the message didn't change from old pastor to the new one that took over. The values are often the same. The founding pastor was found to not be living up to the values. The question is why?

The bible tells us to lean on each other and share our problems one with another and we help each other through tough times. Now when your at the top of the church, who can you share your problems with? We often think oh they are pastors with no problems therefore they don't have to share. I guess they are not human and do nothing wrong to. See in denominations you have the other pastors from other churches, state admins and pastor supporting teams that has been setup. You have set values and you can't move from that. Yes the denomination keeps your pastor in check however they support your pastor and give them someplace to go as a pastor to get help, without losing the respect of the people trusting and depending on the Pastor.

See my church couldn't just start worshiping a golden calf, the denomination would come in and we would have a new pastor. In non denominational Churches you can't say that. As long as the pastor has convinced the board of whom he's usually the head of, he can do whatever. Then you add that he has little if no support at all from other pastors, it kinda makes you understand why we see so many of these nondenominational Churches falling. Support for pastors and there families is key to any churches success. That is why I stick to denominational churches. I don't mind if someone else is from any other church. Knowing what that is can give me background only to what they have been taught. We as individuals often have are own beliefs that can be different than the church we attend. However what church we attend, that is between us and god. I know for myself, I want a church that I know the pastor has support, is in check, and is following the same basic beliefs as me.

There is power in numbers and he has split those numbers.

The PROBLEM IS that while there IS "Power in numbers" - it's the WRONG POWER!!!!!

I DOn't believe that satan is the one keeping it apart, but God - through the "Babel method" which is one way God PREVENTS things contrary to HIS will from being built.

The visible church of 2011, IF it were to come into political/intellectual "unity" would only become a murderous monster as it tried in it's OWN WISDOM to "do the will of God".

it's definitly the BEST THING that the visible church REMAINS divided for the protection of the people - until such times as the Visible church matures and loses it's carnality.

Re: There is power in numbers and he has split those numbers.

The PROBLEM IS that while there IS "Power in numbers" - it's the WRONG POWER!!!!!

I DOn't believe that satan is the one keeping it apart, but God - through the "Babel method" which is one way God PREVENTS things contrary to HIS will from being built.

The visible church of 2011, IF it were to come into political/intellectual "unity" would only become a murderous monster as it tried in it's OWN WISDOM to "do the will of God".

it's definitly the BEST THING that the visible church REMAINS divided for the protection of the people - until such times as the Visible church matures and loses it's carnality.
I reckon you and I are on the same wave Bob. I've always figured denominations were kinda like fences, making for good neighbors.

I think that if anyone on the supposed basis of 'unity' tried to lump together all professing Christians in one organization, I would be very suspicious.

For example, Paul in Acts clearly addresses different independent churches. There wasn't some committee or organization linking them. Rather, they were all spiritually dependent directly on the Lord Himself. (See Acts 20, re the church at Ephesus, etc.)

That's right! However, disagreements come and factions form, and separations result. It is the flesh that separates. Jesus spoke out against this behaviour among men. I believe that if a church leader or pastor declares, as ours did and does, that "Jesus is our new pastor", people would willingly quell their tendency to be at variance, and come under the authority that Christ has set out before them.

I can't get my head around it... I really can't.

I've heard people speak with such pride at what denomination they are. Let me first explain that I am a Christian, a fellow believer in Christ, the Son of God. That's it as far as titles, in fact, I'm not bothered if someone classes me as a Christian or not, it makes no difference whatsoever, my belief is in Christ, I care little for the title. I believe in God, creator of all and trust him. So why are people so keen to announce what denomination they are? Or create a title around a subset of beliefs? Why are there 300 versions of Christianity? Are we not all one in Christ? I think it's madness, and find it disturbing that people seem to care more for the title or what they 'belong' to, rather than living for the Christ. Jesus came with a simple message, love God with all your heart, mind, body and soul and do all you can for other people.

I agree with you. Not only do some Christians feel pride for their denomination, but are probably the same ones who want to quickly label you from some sort of denomination (or if you sound like a cult, with some figurehead of that group). I think it's human nature to compartmentalize to get a quick idea where a person is coming from or what they stand for. A person who claims no affiliation is looked upon at best with suspicion since we all "have to" belong to a group, even if the group is wrong. Heaven forbid a person on his own mustn't know what he is doing. :lol

My church was part of a well-known denomination until we decided to break away and become independent without denomination. Going there is like coming here --- to a lesser degree we have people believing a bit differently than the next, but at least they are doing their own study and thinking for themselves. The main things we agree upon, and any disagreement isn't unlike scientists who have a different interpretation or belief about a theory.

I think it's basically because many people are not willing to keep their mind centered on the person of Jesus Christ as He is presented in the Bible. And Satan, of course, fuels such division. He certainly does not want to see Christians in unity.

I was only talking about this on Sunday after church to a guy. Our discussion revolved around our both being Christian brethren in our early years of salvation.

My thoughts on it, and to people who steadfastly claim and adhere to all the restrictions and traditions of a particular denomination trust in the founders of that denomination. When they first originated hundreds of years ago people in general were less educated than now. While maybe not less or more spiritual than us they had access to far less information than we presently do to formulate guidelines for understanding Jesus teaching and ways. While the bible and the word of God is timeless from the originators and eye witnesses, the denominations are added on later. You would really hope the creators of those denominations got it right when they forbade certain activities.

In the case of Luther and the reformation no one could argue with that it needed to happen. I can understand Lutherans as a denomination being created from that.

From my personal observation and inclusion in other denominations I have seen adherence to their ways place unnecessary guilt on fellow believers. Do not wear makeup. Women should remain silent in worship and wear hats etc. No dancing in case it encourages promiscuity. No raising of hands to God in worship, no baptism of the Holy Spirit, no talking in tongues. Even though some of it all goes against things written in the bible people still attempt to adhere to these restrictions for some reason in the pursuit of piousness.

Don’t get me wrong William booth started a fantastic denomination in the Salvation army and their recommendation of not drinking alcohol serves well their outreach to homeless and alcoholics whose efforts to come clean could be undone by drinking in front of them after they come clean of alcoholism. There are cases for it.

By and large wasting time arguing over denominational differences to me seems a distraction from the greatest assignment we were given by Jesus which was pick up your cross, follow me, be filled with the holy spirit and tell people of the gospel, convert all nations. Open up your houses and churches and welcome strangers. That seems to me much more important than staking claim that my spin on my denomination has it all together and yours is incorrect and wasting time splitting hairs over it. does it really matter who will rise first when Jesus returns or if he will only stay in the clouds or land on the earth,or reign on the earth in some new Jerusalem. It is just a future event we cant change, we can only change today.

There are some good things about denominational differences, it can make for belonging and some inclusion in a common factor in life, there is nothing wrong with that. Different denominations also give insight to the contained service and how it would match a persons personality type. Pentecostal services may not suit overly conservative people. you would know this from its denominational type what the service may contain.

Denominations have amusing idiosyncrasy's too. As a teenager I delighted in watching other teenagers raising hands in a service in a service that strictly forbade it. The look of disdain by a concerned pastor and the absurdity of it all was a source of constant amusement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why denominations?

Because people are sinful by nature and can't do things the way God wants them to. Our church today only vaguely resembles the church of the NT. But it is almost all we have.

I did churches for years. Got tired of the fighting and controversy. Went with small groups and home groups for years. Guess what? People still had controversy, although not to the extent that it broke up the group, like often happens in churches. Now I am back to looking at churches again with the desire to join their small groups.

I am convinced that God does not want the church we have and the system of worship we use. He has a much better idea. But mankind insists on it, so He let's us have our way and uses it as He can.

We look to our own understanding instead of God's and then we disagree.

Back