Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why is Christianity better than others?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Free said:
AAA said:
Free said:
Here is the gist of the problem:

The majority of religions, including all the major ones, contradict each other at the core and are irreconcilable. By use of reason they cannot all be true; that is a logical impossibility. It is therefore possible that either all are false or one is true.

We agree on the above.

Mankind has worshipped literally thousands of false gods.

What does that say about mankind?

How did those people who believed in and worshipped these thousands of false gods come to believe in and worship those gods? Do Christians come to believe in and worship the Christian god in some meaningfully different way that points to the truth of Christianity?
It can say many things about mankind--one being that they recognize the work of the divine in the created order; another being that they have seen the evil in world and realize the need for a savior outside of humanity.

If you are correct, and mankind does mysteriously recognize a divine savior, since mankind has gotten the theistic details about that divine savior wrong thousands and thousands of times, mustn't you also conclude that the odds of mankind ever getting those theistic details right are extremely low, so that the most reasonable path (by far) is to just be a deist?

Another possibility of what that says about mankind is that mankind just loves or needs to create theisms (and we can all think of numerous reasons why that may be so).

AAA said:
Free said:
It can say many things about mankind--one being that they recognize the work of the divine in the created order; another being that they have seen the evil in world and realize the need for a savior outside of humanity.
If you are correct, and mankind does mysteriously recognize a divine savior, since mankind has gotten the theistic details about that divine savior wrong thousands and thousands of times, mustn't you also conclude that the odds of mankind ever getting those theistic details right are extremely low, so that the most reasonable path (by far) is to just be a deist?
No, I mustn't conclude that at all. Varying theistic details neither means that theism is false nor that one must "conclude that the odds of mankind ever getting those theistic details right are extremely low." You are being presumptuous in thinking that no one has gotten the details correct.

On what basis is Deism the most reasonable path by far? Deism is one of the least reasonable paths of theism. To say that God created everything and then takes no interest in his creation is an astounding claim, to say the least. It makes creation out to be a mere experiment in which God is just waiting for the outcome.

AAA said:
Another possibility of what that says about mankind is that mankind just loves or needs to create theisms (and we can all think of numerous reasons why that may be so).
That is a possibility, just as it is a possibility that mankind just loves or needs to create atheism.

My intention is not to oppose christianity itself but more when one makes it a religion and the stance that it is the only right religion. The true path to God is what's in one's heart not what religion they are a part of. If someone is raised as a buddhist and in their search for enlightenment find the God described in the christian bible and learns the path of salvation through Jesus why would he need to change religions?? They found the Truth. Also if you think that anyone outside of christianity is not saved and is going to hell how are you claiming to be the servant of all and showing Christ's love?? Have you not just raised yourself above everyone who is not a believer?

seekandlisten said:
My intention is not to oppose christianity itself but more when one makes it a religion and the stance that it is the only right religion. The true path to God is what's in one's heart not what religion they are a part of. If someone is raised as a buddhist and in their search for enlightenment find the God described in the christian bible and learns the path of salvation through Jesus why would he need to change religions?? They found the Truth.
Yes, they would have found the truth which is precisely why they must then reject anything from their former belief system which contradicts that truth. And that is quite a lot when it comes to most religions. One cannot come to a saving knowledge of Jesus and still remain in a religion where the main tenets of that religion are anti-Christ and contradict Scripture.

seekandlisten said:
Also if you think that anyone outside of christianity is not saved and is going to hell how are you claiming to be the servant of all and showing Christ's love?? Have you not just raised yourself above everyone who is not a believer?
Did Jesus not say the same thing?

Free,

Your last post to me needs to be unpacked a bit. I'll use three parts.

Free said:
No, I mustn't conclude that at all.

Really?

Free said:
Varying theistic details neither means that theism is false nor that one must "conclude that the odds of mankind ever getting those theistic details right are extremely low." You are being presumptuous in thinking that no one has gotten the details correct.

Varying theistic details imply that all, or all but one, among irreconcilable theisms are false, just as you wrote:

Free said:
The majority of religions, including all the major ones, contradict each other at the core and are irreconcilable. By use of reason they cannot all be true; that is a logical impossibility. It is therefore possible that either all are false or one is true.

Thus, mankind has been wrong time and time again in believing the thousands of theisms that have existed. I don't see how you can think it likely that mankind ever gets theism right when you believe that mankind has been wrong thousands of times over, and can only be right once, or never.

The chances provided by this track record are overwhelmingly low - perhaps 5,000 to 1, or 5,000 to 0 - that mankind ever gets it right, given the track record you admitted. Even if you wanted to be conservative and estimate the number of irreconcilable theisms at 100, you're still looking at chances of 100 to 1, or 100 to 0. This is just logic at work here. The conclusion is unavoidable.

If I told you that 100 people had failed to correctly identify the contents of a sealed opaque box that contains a single household item based on their intuition, or gut feeling, or faith, do you think that the chance that you will get it right are going to be high, or low? This is just logic at work here. The conclusion is unavoidable. (Note: I am telling you that the box contains a single household item, which puts some serious limits on what the box can contain. There are an infinite number of gods that mankind can make up)

It seems to me that you are being presumptuous in thinking that Christianity has finally gotten it right, especially since Christianity really has no better evidence to support its outlandish tenets than any of the other outlandish religions ever had.

It seems to me that you, just like all the billions of believers who had to have had it wrong in the past, rely on "faith" to tell you that you now have finally found the right deity to explain all the mysteries and exempt you from death.

Free said:
On what basis is Deism the most reasonable path by far?

Its the most reasonable path considering the logical conclusions of the last post.

If you are correct, and the fact that mankind has wrongly worshipped thousands of false gods in the past because mankind recognizes a truth about the universe in the common thread among them, namely that there is a creator, or creator/saviour, then it seems reasonable to just be a deist, and ascribe as few details to your particular god as possible beyond creator/savior, since those details (ie. what distinguish theism from deism) are most likely to be, given mankind's track record, false.

Free said:
Deism is one of the least reasonable paths of theism. To say that God created everything and then takes no interest in his creation is an astounding claim, to say the least. It makes creation out to be a mere experiment in which God is just waiting for the outcome.

It sounds like you just don't like that possibility. Needless to say, not liking a proposition does not make the proposition false.

Free said:
That is a possibility, just as it is a possibility that mankind just loves or needs to create atheism.

No, mankind needing to create atheism is not a possible conclusion that one can draw from the fact that mankind has worshipped literally thousands of false gods.

That is a non sequitur.

AAA said:
It sounds like you just don't like that possibility. Needless to say, not liking a proposition does not make the proposition false.

I just wanted to add...

On the flip side of that coin, liking a proposition does not make the proposition true.

Jesus is the Only Way to Heaven

Jesus gave us the answer:

John14:6

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

There is no point to this discussion. Some people on this forum only preach hatred. They think they and very few others have all the truth. It makes them feel good to know that, according to them, very few people will get into heaven, and that the rest will suffer forever. It makes them feel really special or something. Discussions about denominations or other religions being wrong only serves to allow the hateful, to spew their hate and defame the words of Jesus. This forum seems to have a lot of these types around.

I have noticed this myself there is almost that witch hunt attitude going on so much anger in christianty I dont understand? Kind of like the pious tone of darker times. Lots of posts Ive noticed by certain Threadsters that are so sure there every word is the answer to life? However I have also noticed some level headed christians that detach the feeling and just talk thats how it should be.

What is the 'better' religious belief? I think that it all comes down to MY belief being the better (or the correct) belief than YOUR belief if your belief differs from mine. If YOU don't believe what "I" believe then your belief is obviously wrong. Simple!

I’ll leave you with quotes-

I’ll leave you with quotes from various people from varying religions and you try and tell me that they don’t speak God’s Truth??

Nope I wouldn't bother trying to say that the quotes are not "truth" - I might take some exception to this or that "detail" - but no big deal. Good philosophy is good philosophy - simple as that. There are Bible verses that address/confirm most of what's there.

I'll even add Mammy Yokum: "Good is better than evil, because it's nicer!!"

BUT what all the "quotes" ignore is the only really IMPORTANT difference between Christianity and all the alternatives -

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Christianity is EITHER "the only way", or it's all a total lie, and worthless. It's totally unimportant whether it's "Better", or "Worse" in this or that peripheral way.

It's the ONLY way. Period.

I would seriously question a person who said they believed something but didn't believe it to be the truth.
Yes, that would be a contradiction, wouldn’t it?
We all just need to recognize when we need to change what we believe so that it aligns with what is true.

I agree. Very well said. :) This is the only intellectually honest position.

The problem lies in finding that which is true. We live in a world with thousands of different religions and philosophies. The trend in our present-day society is often for people to choose a belief system that’s “agreeable†or “right for meâ€, something that makes one feel good about oneself.

As far as convincing someone of the truth of Christianity, it’s been my experience that unless an individual is searching or at least in a place where he/she is willing to consider something else, then that person is not going to listen. I remember not long after my own conversion, I was frustrated with so much of what I saw going on in the world. I wanted everyone to convert. But my good spiritual friend said to me, “It took you over twenty years. You can’t expect everyone else to convert just because you did.â€

There can be many obstacles in finding the truth: emotional commitment, preconceived ideas, and prejudices can all hinder our objective search for the truth. For example, for someone who was raised Jewish, lives in a Jewish community and is committed to their Jewish faith, it would be very hard for that person to consider Christianity.

IMHO, I think it’s important to keep these things in mind when entering into inter-faith dialogue. Each individual should ask themselves, “Am I being intellectually honest with myself?†and “Am I considering where the other person is coming from?€

I was reading around through some threads and became very discouraged with how many people were having problems with why christianity is the only religion and with the hate and distaste towards other religions that shows up in some posts trying to prove this point. The evidence is our actions the proof comes when we stand before God. I have A new question to pose here, and I challenge any one here who thinks they have the answer to this question to try and prove it to me. I can almost be certain that , while you may make a few points, you cannot prove one religion to be better then the other. We forget the significance of blessed are the poor in spirit and blessed are the meek. I will warn I may be bold here as this is one belief that I have no doubts. YOU CAN NOT PROVE ONE RELIGION/DENOMINATION TO BE THE ONE AND ONLY!! When Christians can get past this point they would be surprised at the realization that God is everywhere and be surprised at some of the places they see God. God’s Word is alive and in action!! I’ve seen 2 or 3 times today alone where Ghandi’s quote about christians was used out of context by people proving his point. I’ll leave you with quotes from various people from varying religions and you try and tell me that they don’t speak God’s Truth??

There is but One God, His name is Truth, He is the Creator, He fears none, he is without hate, He never dies, He is beyond the cycle of births and death, He is self illuminated, He is realized by the kindness of the True Guru. He was True in the beginning, He was True when the ages commenced and has ever been True, He is also True now.†Guru Nanak

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.â€
Albert Schweitzer

“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.†Carl Gustav Jung

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.†Confucius

“Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding.†Xi Zhi

“All human language draws its nature and value from the fact that it both comes from the Word of God and is chosen by God to manifest himself. But this relationship is secret and incomprehensible, beyond the bounds of reason and analysis.†Jacques Ellul

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.
Kurt Cobain

Religion = Moral good, and deeds lead to atonement/salvation

Gospel of the Kingdom of God = The blood of Jesus Christ paid the debt for all trangressions who accept His Lordship.

Why is Christianity better than others? Becose Christianity /Christ cames from heaven from God,
other religions have other origins.(excepting Judaism religion).

Back