Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why is it important to study the Bible in context?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
A

Alabaster

Question: "Why is it important to study the Bible in context? What is wrong with taking verses out of context?"

Answer:
It's important to study Bible passages and stories within their context. Taking verses out of context leads to all kinds of error and misunderstanding. Understanding context begins with four principles: literal meaning (what it says), historical setting (the events of the story, to whom is it addressed, and how it was understood at that time), grammar (the immediate sentence and paragraph within which a word or phrase is found) and synthesis (comparing it with other parts of Scripture for a fuller meaning). Context is crucial to biblical exegesis in that it is one of its most important fundamentals. After we account for the literal, historical, and grammatical nature of a passage, we must then focus on the outline and structure of the book, then the chapter, then the paragraph. All of these things refer to "context." To illustrate, it is like looking at Google Maps and zooming in on one house.

Taking phrases and verses out of context always leads to misunderstanding. For instance, taking the phrase "God is love" (1 John 4:7-16) out of its context, we might come away thinking that our God loves everything and everyone at all times with a gushing, romantic love. But in its literal and grammatical context, “love†here refers to agape love, the essence of which is sacrifice for the benefit of another, not a sentimental, romantic love. The historical context is also crucial, because John was addressing believers in the first century church and instructing them not on God’s love per se, but on how to identify true believers from false professors. True love—the sacrificial, beneficial kind—is the mark of the true believer (v. 7), those who do not love do not belong to God (v. 8), God loved us before we loved Him (vv. 9-10), and all of this is why we should love one another and thereby prove that we are His (v. 11-12).

Furthermore, considering the phrase "God is love" in the context of all of Scripture (synthesis) will keep us from coming to the false, and all-too-common, conclusion that God is only love or that His love is greater than all His other attributes, which is simply not the case. We know from many other passages that God is also holy and righteous, faithful and trustworthy, graceful and merciful, kind and compassionate, omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient, and many, many other things. We also know from other passages that God not only loves, but He also hates.

The Bible is the Word of God, literally "God-breathed" (2 Timothy 3:16), and we are commanded to ready, study, and understand it through the use of good Bible study methods and always with the inspiration of the Holy Spirit to guide us (1 Corinthians 2:14). Our study is greatly enhanced by maintaining diligence in the use of context because it is quite easy come to wrong conclusions by taking phrases and verses out of context. It is not difficult to point out places that seemingly contradict other portions of Scripture, but if we carefully look at their context and use the entirety of Scripture as a reference, we can understand the meaning of a passage. “Context is king†means that the context often drives the meaning of a phrase. To ignore context is to put ourselves at a tremendous disadvantage.

Recommended Resource: Basic Bible Interpretation by Roy Zuck.

Source: GotQuestions.org

Question: "Why is it important to study the Bible in context? What is wrong with taking verses out of context?"

Answer:
It's important to study Bible passages and stories within their context. Taking verses out of context leads to all kinds of error and misunderstanding. Understanding context begins with four principles: literal meaning (what it says), historical setting (the events of the story, to whom is it addressed, and how it was understood at that time), grammar (the immediate sentence and paragraph within which a word or phrase is found) and synthesis (comparing it with other parts of Scripture for a fuller meaning). Context is crucial to biblical exegesis in that it is one of its most important fundamentals. After we account for the literal, historical, and grammatical nature of a passage, we must then focus on the outline and structure of the book, then the chapter, then the paragraph. All of these things refer to "context." To illustrate, it is like looking at Google Maps and zooming in on one house.

Taking phrases and verses out of context always leads to misunderstanding. For instance, taking the phrase "God is love" (1 John 4:7-16) out of its context, we might come away thinking that our God loves everything and everyone at all times with a gushing, romantic love. But in its literal and grammatical context, “love†here refers to agape love, the essence of which is sacrifice for the benefit of another, not a sentimental, romantic love. The historical context is also crucial, because John was addressing believers in the first century church and instructing them not on God’s love per se, but on how to identify true believers from false professors. True love—the sacrificial, beneficial kind—is the mark of the true believer (v. 7), those who do not love do not belong to God (v. 8), God loved us before we loved Him (vv. 9-10), and all of this is why we should love one another and thereby prove that we are His (v. 11-12).

Furthermore, considering the phrase "God is love" in the context of all of Scripture (synthesis) will keep us from coming to the false, and all-too-common, conclusion that God is only love or that His love is greater than all His other attributes, which is simply not the case. We know from many other passages that God is also holy and righteous, faithful and trustworthy, graceful and merciful, kind and compassionate, omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient, and many, many other things. We also know from other passages that God not only loves, but He also hates.

The Bible is the Word of God, literally "God-breathed" (2 Timothy 3:16), and we are commanded to ready, study, and understand it through the use of good Bible study methods and always with the inspiration of the Holy Spirit to guide us (1 Corinthians 2:14). Our study is greatly enhanced by maintaining diligence in the use of context because it is quite easy come to wrong conclusions by taking phrases and verses out of context. It is not difficult to point out places that seemingly contradict other portions of Scripture, but if we carefully look at their context and use the entirety of Scripture as a reference, we can understand the meaning of a passage. “Context is king†means that the context often drives the meaning of a phrase. To ignore context is to put ourselves at a tremendous disadvantage.

Dear Alabaster, Why is it important to study the Bible in the context of the Church history that produced it? Because the Church wrote the NT, the Church should know what the Bible means. The Church faced many heresies and defeated them. In our Bible study, we may commit many errors and make heresies, if we do not know Church doctrine. We will then just study "the Bible for ourselves", and try to make the Bible mean what we want it to mean, whatever we want it to mean, not what the Bible intends to mean in its original Roman Empire context. While the Roman Emperors are long gone, they meant something to the Apostle John, and thus he wrote the code 6-6-6, which adds up in gematria to Neron Caesar. We need to be careful not to invent new, false doctrines on our own. The idea that there are only 2 sacraments dates to Wycliffe and Luther, and not long before them. It is not in the Bible itself; it is a doctrine of men. In Erie PA Scott R. Harrington

Scripture in context...

When i hear this my first thoughts are 'end times'. All the books, movies etc.

With in the context of The Revelation the phrase antichrist is not found.

Scripture in context...

So? We will leave the discussion of end times for another thread, shall we?

Scripture in context...

Hi Reba and welcome!

Please don't take offense, but I'm really curious how your first thoughts in regard to "Context" reflects end times.

Just curious.

thanks!

Answer:

Even more importantly is to understand the Bible was a product of its time. To understand the Bible it is paramount for one to wrap their minds around the way viewed the world. It is equally important to understand the way those of that era used literature; the way they used common motifs. All too often people faithfully believe the Bible was created in a divine vaccum, it wasn't. All too often people interpret the Bible through their narrow prism of faith, which is fine, but they will never fully understand (at least to me) the function of the Bible.

Even more importantly is to understand the Bible was a product of its time. To understand the Bible it is paramount for one to wrap their minds around the way viewed the world. It is equally important to understand the way those of that era used literature; the way they used common motifs. All too often people faithfully believe the Bible was created in a divine vaccum, it wasn't. All too often people interpret the Bible through their narrow prism of faith, which is fine, but they will never fully understand (at least to me) the function of the Bible.

In your opinion, what is the function of the Bible?

In your opinion, what is the function of the Bible?
It is the recorded tradition of a specific people and culture. The vast majority to respond to the breaking off from their previous cultural traditions from the ANE for where they derivied establishing them as a people; with their own Deity, and to explain away and provide hope and vindication given that Deity seeing their some 800 plus years of subjugation. That is the whole point of God's chosen to save them from their dilemma.

It is the recorded tradition of a specific people and culture. The vast majority to respond to the breaking off from their previous cultural traditions from the ANE for where they derivied establishing them as a people; with their own Deity, and to explain away and provide hope and vindication given that Deity seeing their some 800 plus years of subjugation. That is the whole point of God's chosen to save them from their dilemma.

What is ANE?

Actually the Bible is really a library of books written by 40 authors, inspired by the Holy Spirit. These texts have been compiled together in one book which expresses the heart of God toward humankind.

Hi Reba and welcome!

Please don't take offense, but I'm really curious how your first thoughts in regard to "Context" reflects end times.

Just curious.

thanks!

To answer your question here would derail the thread. Derailing threads is a cheep shot. I will put together an answere in PM .

To answer your question here would derail the thread. Derailing threads is a cheep shot. I will put together an answere in PM .

Thank you, reba. You show much kindness! :waving

What is ANE?

Actually the Bible is really a library of books written by 40 authors, inspired by the Holy Spirit. These texts have been compiled together in one book which expresses the heart of God toward humankind.
That is the contemporary faith view, but it is one of faith, and faith remains things hoped for evidence not seen.

The ANE means the Ancient Near East. The Israelites were a part of them. They worshipped their Gods. Then they broke off (the Moses tradition) to become their own tribe. Then they adopted Yahweh, a subservient God of the ANE "El" as their own...just like the Bible and archaeology discovered Steles say.

That is the contemporary faith view, but it is one of faith, and faith remains things hoped for evidence not seen.

The ANE means the Ancient Near East. The Israelites were a part of them. They worshipped their Gods. Then they broke off (the Moses tradition) to become their own tribe. Then they adopted Yahweh, a subservient God of the ANE "El" as their own...just like the Bible and archaeology discovered Steles say.

Well, you have said some things that are confusing, and by virtue of your last sentence, I know now that you are confused about God altogether.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Scripture in context...

Thank you, reba. You show much kindness! :waving

Perhaps Reba is correct. I digress...enjoy your thread. :)

Well, you have said some things that are confusing, and by virtue of your last sentence, I know now that you are confused about God altogether.

Thanks for clearing that up.
....but I will leave you with this. I never made a statement about my understanding of God. What I am speaking of is your subject matter, why Bible context is important i.e the Bible itself.

Alabaster if you want to gain the maximum benefit from study in any field then I think its always best to read around the subject and so looking at verses in context is really the only valid basis for serious study.

The bible is unique though in that it is Gods unfolding 'letter' to us and especially if we claim faith then it is of paramount importance that we give scripture our full attention as how else are we to guard from being misled into erronous doctrine. you mentioned that it was wriiten by many different people but also bearing in mind that those authors penned 66 books across many different genres - its amazing that it is so harmonious. I never really grasped how harmonious it was until I read it in its entirety from Genesis to Revelation. Not only that I have found that scripture never grows old as I always see something new - it thrills me to realise that I can read a verse a hundred times and then for any number of reasons my understanding of that verse is transformed. For example I remember as a young Christian reading the beautitudes and trying to identify which verse I could most identify with and then one day I realised that its the beautitudes in their entirety that point to the character of the mature Christian.

So when I read I like to look at it against the backdrop of the whole canon of scripture, consider the genre of the book, its historical and cultural setting, to think about how it was received by the original hearers and to think about its relevance to the present audience.

Alabaster having said all that I still find much in scripture that I feel I dont yet fully understand - actually I think thats what keeps me going back as those are the verses that I pore over and strive to understand and generally I find that with time, prayer, and discussion with my husband and others most things become clearer.

Well its almost time for the school run so I guess I will leave with my thought that more often than not its not the parts of scripture that I dont understand that cause me trouble but those that I do understand.

Thanks

TGs Lady

Just as the Bible says? Really? Can you tell me where the Bible says that YHWH is subservient to El?
Deuteronomy 32:8-9.

In this verse, "El" is the pantheon God of a divine council. Here it is stated each memer of the divine council recieved a nation for their own; El is the head of the divine family, and each member of the divine family receives a nation of their own: Israel is the portion of Yahweh.

In addition there are ANE Ugarit Steles that point blank state Yahweh as being a son of the ANE "El."

Deuteronomy 32:8-9.

In this verse, "El" is the pantheon God of a divine council. Here it is stated each memer of the divine council recieved a nation for their own; El is the head of the divine family, and each member of the divine family receives a nation of their own: Israel is the portion of Yahweh.

False.

Deuteronomy 32:8-9 NASB
When the Most High gave the nations their inheritance,
When He separated the sons of man,
He set the boundaries of the peoples
According to the number of the sons of Israel.
For the LORD'S portion is His people;
Jacob is the allotment of His inheritance.

In addition there are ANE Ugarit Steles that point blank state Yahweh as being a son of the ANE "El."

What a load. Yahweh is eternal and has been forever. There is none like Him, and He has certainly none before Him.

Back