Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why is Jesus called the Word / Logos?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
One of Jesus' titles given in the bible is the "Word" ~ I do not find any explaination for this given to us in the scripture... wondering what sound reasons any may have?

In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God John 1:1

The word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
John 1:14

He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the word of God. Revelation 19:13

sheshisown~ :biggrin

I would surmise that it has something to do with the creation order. We know that Jesus created the world, and we know that the world came into being by God's word, "and God said, "Let there be..." That voice with power, the voice that can call up a universe and fill it, that would be the Son, Jesus.

We cannot fully understand God, but I've often wondered if Christ being the Word can be understood as Christ being the enactor (made that word up) of God's intentions. The Father desires an action and the Word (Son) fulfills it.

Very interesting question. I saw this earlier and wondered what others thought as well. I've never really pondered it before.

In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God John 1:1 I guess you could write it like this, (In the beginning was Jesus, and Jesus was with God, and Jesus was God)

verse 14 Jesus became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen Jesus’ glory, the glory of the one and only son of God, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth .John 1:14

He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood( the judgment to come), and his name is the word of God). in this text the word of God means truth, and purity and power. Revelation 19:13

Do you know that through the Word of God, because it brought you to salvation in Jesus ,when you are glorified and stand before the throne, you will be as strong as Superman. In Revelation it says that earth and sky fled away from His Presence and there was found no place for them. Everything is incinerated and will be totally obliterated before Him, and yet, there you are standing before God’s Throne and you are able to withstand the power flowing outward from His Throng and the earth and
sky could not. By the way, Not even Superman could withstand His Power unless Superman was a Glorified Christian remade in His Image.

Lee100 said:
Do you know that through the Word of God, because it brought you to salvation in Jesus ,when you are glorified and stand before the throne, you will be as strong as Superman. In Revelation it says that earth and sky fled away from His Presence and there was found no place for them. Everything is incinerated and to totally obliterated before Him, and yet, there you are standing before God’s Throne and you are able to withstand the power flowing outward from His Throng and the earth and
sky could not. By the way, Not even Superman could withstand His Power unless Superman was a Glorified Christian remade in His Image.

LOLOLOL! :toofunny

Really good and funny analogy! Thanks, that has made my day.. ;)

http://getwiththeword.blogspot.com/

This is a great question. Why isn't Jesus called the Way, or the Life, or the Truth?? Why the Word??

It is my understanding that He's called the Word because God's Word captures all those things. God's Word is authoritative, it is life, it is truth, it is a promise, it is the way, it just IS! This is why Jesus is referred to as the Word because the Word summarizes all that Jesus is in... well... a word. :yes

Jesus is way stronger that this guy.
superm10.jpg

Hi Bonnie,

Have you ever considered comparing John 1 with Proverbs 8 before to try discover more about what they both might be refering to? In Proverbs 8 'Wisdom' is personified like the Word/Logos is personified in John 1. Below is a relevant portion of Proverbs 8:

22The LORD possessed me [wisdom] at the beginning of His way,
Before His works of old.
23"From everlasting I was established,
From the beginning, from the earliest times of the earth.
24"When there were no depths I was brought forth,
When there were no springs abounding with water.
25"Before the mountains were settled,
Before the hills I was brought forth;
26While He had not yet made the earth and the fields,
Nor the first dust of the world.
27"When He established the heavens, I was there

Logos, like wisdom, has to do with the discerning faculties - a divine 'reason', or expression of the mind of God.

From a NT word commentary book I have called Word Meanings in the New Testament, by Ralph Earle, it has the following entry for "Word" at John 1:1:

Word. The Greek term is logos. This word is found about 350 times in the New Testament and is translated 25 different ways in the King James Version, including 218 times as "word" (small w) and 50 times as "saying." Just what does it mean?

In the city of Ephesus, six centuries before John wrote his Gospel there, Heraclitus used the term logos for the rational principle, power, or being which speaks to men both from without and from within. Plato used it for the divine force creating the world. With Aristotle it was "insight." In general, the Greeks thought of logos as "reason" or "thought," whereas the Jewish emphasis was on logos as "word."

Philo, a Jew who lived in Alexandria in the time of Christ, sought to combine these two ideas - thought and speech. He used the term logos over 1,300 times. It has been said that with Philo the Logos is often personified but never truely personalized.

The Apostle John, under divine inspiration, goes beyond all this. He presents Jesus Christ as the eternal Logos, the true concept of God and also the Word (v. 1) expressing that concept fully in His incarnation (v. 14).

Aside from the three times in the verse here and once in verse 14, "logos" is used for Christ in only two other places in the NT (1 John 1:1; Rev. 19:13). This fact tends to tie together these three books as written by John.

Now that treatment is a bit brief for my taste (it's not exactly a theology book though) and I've seen much better studies, but it's a start. I hope that helps, and especially compare the idea of Logos as 'reason' to the 'wisdom' personified in Proverbs 8.

God Bless,

~Josh

I believe the Word was fulfilled with Jesus. Jesus wasn't in the beginning he was born much later. I agree with the earlier post of the Word being God's Promise.

seekandlisten said:
I believe the Word was fulfilled with Jesus. Jesus wasn't in the beginning he was born much later. I agree with the earlier post of the Word being God's Promise.

Be careful. John 1 very clearly states that the Logos was God and that the Logos was with God in the beginning, and that the Logos became flesh - being Jesus Christ. Hebrews 1:2 also makes it clear that everything was made through Jesus, exactly as the Logos is reported as being key in creation.

"[God] has in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds" (Hebrews 1:2)

"All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made" (John 1:3)

Also 1 John 4:2 makes it clear that all must acknowledge that Jesus came in the flesh (paralleling John 1:14) else they are not of God. I have made a thread defending the divinity of Christ elsewhere on this forum, and I stand by that clear truth revealed in Scripture.

Your statement above has a strong Gnostic flavor to it, intentional or not.

~Josh

Just a brief explanation behind my short post earlier. In all honesty to me John reads what it says. In the beginning was the Word, the Word was with God and the Word was God. Now the minute we start interpreting what the Word actually is opens up a wide possibility of answers as to its meaning. Plain and simple I don't believe Jesus is God. I don't try and make people agree with me that is just my belief. To say Jesus is God takes away the meaning of what I believe God has revealed to me about Himself through Scripture. I cannot rationalize many different aspects what the bible says. I believe Jesus was a man because that is what makes all of Scripture make sense and is completely logical as to my understanding of it. So I guess plain and simple if you believe Jesus to be God than the Jesus is the Logos, if you believe Jesus was a man than it is nothing more than the Logos or Word or whatever interpretation you believe is revealed to you by the Holy Spirit.

I'll check out that link you posted, a quick glance looked interesting but i'm a little too tired right now to give it an honest study.

handy said:
I would surmise that it has something to do with the creation order. We know that Jesus created the world, and we know that the world came into being by God's word, "and God said, "Let there be..." That voice with power, the voice that can call up a universe and fill it, that would be the Son, Jesus.

We cannot fully understand God, but I've often wondered if Christ being the Word can be understood as Christ being the enactor (made that word up) of God's intentions. The Father desires an action and the Word (Son) fulfills it.

Very interesting question. I saw this earlier and wondered what others thought as well. I've never really pondered it before.

I just noticed this. Jesus created the world??? This one you are going to have to explain??

seekandlisten said:
handy said:

I just noticed this. Jesus created the world??? This one you are going to have to explain??

He created more than just the world..

Colossians 1:15-20 kjv
Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: 16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: 17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence. 19 For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell; 20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

http://getwiththeword.blogspot.com/

WOW! What great insights you have all been giving ~ :biggrin

Nothing like a thread about our Lord to get us studying, eh? I will add more tomorrow when I have time...
:thumb

[attachment=0:2pc7fed6]crucifixion crowd.jpg[/attachment:2pc7fed6]

Ahhhhh the Hero of all time did this...

sheshisown~

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back