Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

why would God let bad things happen to good people?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I just have trouble understanding why bad things happen if God loves everyone so much. A lot has happened to me recently that’s broken me and I don’t understand why he’s letting this happen. I’m not perfect, but I’m not a bad person. It’s getting unbearable.

I just have trouble understanding why bad things happen if God loves everyone so much. A lot has happened to me recently that’s broken me and I don’t understand why he’s letting this happen. I’m not perfect, but I’m not a bad person. It’s getting unbearable.
This is probably one of the most difficult questions to answer or understand the answer. I honestly don't have a good answer for you but I'll provide a link at the bottom of this post that may be helpful.

One thing I will say is that most of us are but infants in our walk of faith and as we continue daily searching His Word we grow and mature in our faith. We don't always know or understand why God does the things He does and in this life we may never know all the answers. The apostle Paul put it this way.

11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

1 Corinthians 13:11-12 NKJV

God knows the beginning from the end and He knows what is best. Every day I pray that I trust all my struggles into His hands. That does not mean I don't still have questions but I do know that I can trust Him to do what He deems best and that's good enough for me.

https://www.gotquestions.org/bad-things-good-people.html

This is probably one of the most difficult questions to answer or understand the answer. I honestly don't have a good answer for you but I'll provide a link at the bottom of this post that may be helpful.

One thing I will say is that most of us are but infants in our walk of faith and as we continue daily searching His Word we grow and mature in our faith. We don't always know or understand why God does the things He does and in this life we may never know all the answers. The apostle Paul put it this way.

11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

1 Corinthians 13:11-12 NKJV

God knows the beginning from the end and He knows what is best. Every day I pray that I trust all my struggles into His hands. That does not mean I don't still have questions but I do know that I can trust Him to do what He deems best and that's good enough for me.

https://www.gotquestions.org/bad-things-good-people.html
that makes sense, thank you. can I ask how we know he knows what’s best? this might be a bad question, but I’m fairly knew to christianity

that makes sense, thank you. can I ask how we know he knows what’s best? this might be a bad question, but I’m fairly knew to christianity
There are no bad questions. One thing about Christianity is that it is not some kind of a club that one joins. It is a way of life, a belief, and comes with faith. In Hebrews 11:1 faith is described this way.

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. NKJV

The way I understand it, and usually put it is, "Just believe. No proof necessary." What I mean by that is that if God said it, I believe it. End of story. God is the Creator of all things. Throughout Scripture there are references to God being the potter and we being the clay. In other words, He is in control.

There is also something else in Scripture that is repeated over and over and that is that God loves us beyond anything we can imagine. Since I believe that is true, I can also believe that He has my best in mind. You can take that to the bank.

None of us are perfect, but being perfected daily by Christ as we all have areas we struggle in, but yet seek God to help us in our times of struggle. One of God's greatest promises is that God said that He would never leave us or forsake us, but it is we who at times leave and forsake Him as we get caught up in our own struggles.

God's word never said we would not go through trials or tribulations, but through many trials and tribulations, if we endure until the end, then we will see the Kingdom of God, Acts 14:22, as we are all called into discipleship as we share our witness and testimony with those who have not yet repented and turned back to God. Below are twenty reasons why God allows us to go through trials and tribulations so that we will always remain in His will. Hopefully the below will help you understand the trials and tribulations we will always face until Christ returns. Just trust Him in all areas of your life that He will continue to perfect you.

Why God allows us to go through trials and tribulations:
1. Training as God prepares us for the future
2. Patience as we rely and trust in God's timing
3. Perseverance through trials that we remain in Gods will
4. Trust as God's ways are not our ways and He has a better plan for us
5. To learn from our mistakes
6. To humble ourselves before Him
7. To discipline us
8. Teach us to be dependent on Him alone
9. To spend quiet time with God so He can speak to us
10. To teach us of His protection
11. That we also share in the sufferings of Christ that we be not ashamed
12. Strengthen us to become more like Christ
13. To develop character
14. Build up our faith in the Lord
15. For a testimony and witness to help others
16. To show us sin in our lives that we need to own up to having
17. To remind us that God is in control
18. Helps us gain knowledge and understanding God's word
19. Teaches us to be thankful
20. To take our mind off the things of the world and and put them back on God

God is not micromanaging the world. People are free to make decisions and others benefit or suffer from those decisions. As long as you blame God for what people do, you won’t understand. Blame people and it becomes clearer.

God is in control of whatsoever comes to pass. There is not one atom that he does not control or use for the good of His people.
Chapter 3 Of God’s Decree 1 God hath a decreed in himself, from all eternity, by the most wise and holy counsel of his own will, freely and unchangeably, all things, whatsoever comes to pass; yet so as thereby is God neither the author of sin b nor hath fellowship with any therein; nor is violence offered to the will of the creature, nor yet is the liberty or contingency of second causes taken away, but rather c established; in which appears his wisdom in disposing all things, and power and faithfulness d in accomplishing his decree. ( a Isa 46:10; Eph 1:11; Heb 6:17; Rom 9:15,18; b Jam 1:13; 1Jo 1:5; c Act 4:27-28; Joh 19:11; d Num 23:19; Eph 1:3-5) 2 Although God knoweth whatsoever may or can come to pass, upon all e supposed conditions, yet hath he not decreed anything, f because he foresaw it as future, or as that which would come to pass upon such conditions. ( e Act 15:18; f Rom 9:11,13,16,18)

God said it, that settles it, no matter who believes it or not:)
Continue to read and study scripture and you will examples of this very thing. The book of JOB shows this very thing.

Hi alex thomas
I’m not perfect, but I’m not a bad person.
I'm curious what you mean by that? You're not perfect...does that mean that you've broken God's 'rules' at some time? And you're not a bad person. In whose estimation? Yours or Gods?

Listen, bad things happen in this life because of sin, period. Without sin we would still be living in a perfect existence in Eden. Adam and Eve would have had children and they would have loved and honored God and all through the generations mothers and fathers would have children and they'd all love God. But that's not what happened...is it?

Sin entered this realm of God's creating and that brought pain, toil and sorrow. That's what God told them would happen. But rejoice!!!

Though your life here may have persecution and troubles, is it because of your testimony for Jesus? If so, rejoice! For our Father sees all that is done for Him.

If your troubles and toils are of another nature, well, I'd just suggest you go back and look at where you might have strayed and are suffering the natural consequences of your actions.

If your troubles and toils are of a medical nature, then my encouragement is to really be in prayer about such malady. God does still heal!

But the answer to your question, for all of our ills that all of us suffer at various seasons and times in our lives, is sin.

God bless,
Ted

Hi alex thomas

Listen, I was just looking down the other subjects and saw one where you make the claim that you are a transgender person. Yeah, there's an answer for what troubles you. But it's going to require some change in you. If you'd like to talk about it in private, feel free to PM me. Otherwise, I'll wait for your response to go further.

God bless you,
Ted

Hello alex thomas.
I believe our Father has multiple reasons for the bad things he allows into our lives.
One example is how the gospel shows us othe misery our sweet Lord Jesus experienced and no better person ever walked on earth. In this our Father teaches us that bad things happen to good people, because evil people hate God. He also shows us that he himself loved people who hated him.

It is a perfectly logical question. I believe that God allows both good and bad things to happen because that is the way it must be in order for us to have any kind of agency in this world.

God gave us free will. And with that free will, we can obey God and do what is good according to His word
Or we can disobey God and live lives if rebellion.
There are good consequences and bad consequences.
Sin and rebellion have bad consequences and quite often those consequences cause others in our lives pain and suffering. God doesn't let these things happen, we cause them ourselves.
On a nationwide scale, if the ruler of a nation is evil and corrupt, the consequences of his actions can have an adverse effect on millions of people. But if that ruler chooses to do lawful, kind and benevolent, then happiness, prosperity and peace will reign in his nation.

God gave us free will. And with that free will, we can obey God and do what is good according to His word
Or we can disobey God and live lives if rebellion.
There are good consequences and bad consequences.
Sin and rebellion have bad consequences and quite often those consequences cause others in our lives pain and suffering. God doesn't let these things happen, we cause them ourselves.
On a nationwide scale, if the ruler of a nation is evil and corrupt, the consequences of his actions can have an adverse effect on millions of people. But if that ruler chooses to do lawful, kind and benevolent, then happiness, prosperity and peace will reign in his nation.
but a lot of the bad things that have happened to me happened when I was a child or too young to know better. tell me, what justice is there in a two-year-old getting raped by his mother? I was too young to sin right? or so much as know what sinning was? I don’t understand what I could’ve done so wrong that early that God decided that I deserved that?

Hi alex thomas

Listen, I was just looking down the other subjects and saw one where you make the claim that you are a transgender person. Yeah, there's an answer for what troubles you. But it's going to require some change in you. If you'd like to talk about it in private, feel free to PM me. Otherwise, I'll wait for your response to go further.

God bless you,
Ted
It’s been a while since you posted this, but is it still okay if I PM you?

but a lot of the bad things that have happened to me happened when I was a child or too young to know better. tell me, what justice is there in a two-year-old getting raped by his mother? I was too young to sin right? or so much as know what sinning was? I don’t understand what I could’ve done so wrong that early that God decided that I deserved that?
I'm so sorry that you have had such terrible things happen in your childhood. As I said, when people decide to do evil, their consequences impact not only themselves, but those around them. Your mother chose to do evil and you suffered the consequences. She will answer to God for what she has done.

but a lot of the bad things that have happened to me happened when I was a child or too young to know better. tell me, what justice is there in a two-year-old getting raped by his mother?
Hello again alex thomas.
There is no justice in harming the innocent, except for when the person who committed the crime pays for it.
I was too young to sin right? or so much as know what sinning was? I don’t understand what I could’ve done so wrong that early that God decided that I deserved that?
The same is true of our Savior,

They hated me without a cause. Jn.15:25

Jesus is God. He continues to show mercy to sinners, but has the power to kill the wicked and the right to do so anytime and very often does.
Ultimately, he will administer both mercy and justice at his judgement seat.

Many people think that this is the question of all of theology. But this question is very simple:
God lets bad this happen to people because of people. There is no such thing as a good person Rom 3:23 For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. WE ALL deserve hell for eternity. That's why God lets this happen. Sin has corrupted the world and all of this happens because we have sinned why does God let it? we deserve it to be that way. God can't just sweep our sin under the rug.

Bad things happen in this world because of sin. Sin is not to be attributed to God, but to us. Saint Augustine, by the grace of God, said that God would never allow evil unless He knew the great good He would draw from it. Indeed, the greatest evil was the betrayal and crucifixion of the Son of God, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and yet the greatest good has come from it - Salvation! When bad things happen to us we ought to humble ourselves before God and acknowledge in our hearts that even this is as nothing compared to what our sins deserve and nothing in comparison to the sufferings of Our Lord. Then gratitude ought to spring up from this very acknowledgement and in a spirit of gratitude and love we begin to see that God allows these things to happen to us in order that we may realize our complete dependence on our Creator and Redeemer. We will begin to see that hardships and trials give us opportunities to practice the various virtues, for example, patience and hope. Hardship also refines our prayer and makes it purer before God. Ultimately, when we realize that God’s goal in all that He ordains for each one of us is our good, then there is a great consolation. God is good! God is our good! May His Will alone be done in all things.

Back