Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Windows 10 as Open Source?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Knotical

Shepherd of the Knotical kid-farm
There have been reports coming out recently that the latest OS from Microsoft will be open source. Will this make it better or worse?

Microsoft trying to pull a Linux, now are we? I think they are too set in their ways, and would only allow the software licensing to go so far. What makes Microsoft the way they are is because they are the antithesis of the Linux philosophy, although ironically in the beginning they were along side them. If they allow open source now, then Microsoft as we know it will change altogether (doubtful). I would consider them again if they can prove to me that they are a reliable operating system again, and maybe this is their first step. But I'd say 90% chance their "open source" will be basically in name only, and things will go on the way they have for many years. I would not hold my breath if I were you over this one.

I can't see it happening either. They may call it that, but judging from Microsoft's past tactics if they do this they will also have some scheme to make it to their advantage, not to ours.

They are generating hype. They are very good at it and call it marketing.

My guess at the real issue: There is a huge number of pirated copies in the Eastern parts of the world. Huge. How can they bring so many pirates 'back into the fold'??

They will give their OP system away for what is an as yet unspecified period of time and will release some of their business and personal apps to Open Source to make it look good (and get the free stuff from developers without paying for it and that, the software they got for free, will be free, free, free. Big whoop.). They will not make the Operating System open source but they will release it free along with open source, non-propitiatory, downloads from their App Store.

Windows 10 is FREE! But it is a scheme. A good one.

They are good at naming stuff too so expect more household words about window cleaning. Look for it to be called SqueeG! or something. I like WinDEX (as in hexadecimal) but that's copyrighted. Then, after everybody in the world is running their free stuff (with only the apps at Open Source, not the OP) they start charging $$ again. Here comes the equivalent of Windows 12. Woo-hoo! They want their customers by the short-hairs (again).

A friend's wife once said, "How can they be so rich, so fast, if they charge a fair price and pay a fair wage?" After just a little thought I had to agree. I would be more than surprised if they 'repented' their business model. There are literally billions of reasons, tiny little $1 reasons, not to. Midas wants his yen.

Last edited:
I agree with all said. You can't trust Microsoft to "give" anything away. If anything I would assume it would be more of a demonstration. It's not like they even depend on sales from there OS anyways... I will just stick with Ubuntu which has been and always will be free(open source)

This was only hinted by one of Microsoft Engineers. Microsoft only discussed this. Is Open source of their flagship programs going to produce sales?
Windows ships with all PC's, so I would see no reason to go open source. If there were a case where another operating system was competing with Windows, then I would say they might make it open source.

working with Ubuntu, as nice as some features are, it's not user friendly out of the box, and often requires wine or some other things a new user would not get. Nobody is going to want to mess with that.

Lindows if anyone remembers it failed horribly.

I just don't see Microsoft Going open source. To me it don't make economic sense for them to do so.

I agree with all said. You can't trust Microsoft to "give" anything away. If anything I would assume it would be more of a demonstration. It's not like they even depend on sales from there OS anyways... I will just stick with Ubuntu which has been and always will be free(open source)
As a stupid nerd Techy i hate windoze and last evening, as I was discovering some fine points of windoze 7 I came up with the lyrics for my MS juingle;
Oh, how I hate windoze,
I cannot count high enough to number the ways!

That expressed, most of my friends at Church use one of the MS mistakes and as hard as I push Ubuntu and Linux Mint with the Cinnamon Desk Top, a great number of people still think free software is a Russian Communist plot.

and walking away the old codger began to sing, "Oh, how I hate win..."

This was only hinted by one of Microsoft Engineers. Microsoft only discussed this. Is Open source of their flagship programs going to produce sales?
Windows ships with all PC's, so I would see no reason to go open source. If there were a case where another operating system was competing with Windows, then I would say they might make it open source.

working with Ubuntu, as nice as some features are, it's not user friendly out of the box, and often requires wine or some other things a new user would not get. Nobody is going to want to mess with that.

Lindows if anyone remembers it failed horribly.

I just don't see Microsoft Going open source. To me it don't make economic sense for them to do so.
An article I read on a White Paper, last week suggesting that MS is not about to give up 4 Billion a quarter. I tend to agree. And if they give anyone a free copy of 10, there will be a gaff in there to hook the Pirates of the Far East into the fold of paying customers.

I do have one other, rather, enlongated point to consider that people just glossed over and have ignored since 7 was issued. MS has yet to sell the patented Key Stroke Mapper with the Internet Reporting Engine the NSA helped them Root Kit into 7, 8 and 8.1. Are any stupid enough to believe the NSA will never again want the Key Mapper included in Windows? I push legal Operating Systems like a mad man, even though I hate windoze and I have not a Key Mapper in my OSv and I prefer Uncle not have that ability. They are already collecting everything we post on the Web, do you believe they need to have their nose deeper in your business? I don't!

Windows 10 isn't for all of us, but for each of us
We are designing and developing Windows 10 differently from the way we’ve always done it. Millions of people are providing their feedback and helping us to shape the future of Windows.
Found, just now, on the MS web site. This, with this on their site I believe.

We are designing and developing Windows 10 differently from the way we’ve always done it. Millions of people are providing their feedback and helping us to shape the future of Windows.
Found, just now, on the MS web site. This, with this on their site I believe.

Windows, I agree will not go open source. It would take the Android/Apple war to be clearly won by Android and for some odd reason, Apple is neck in neck with Android in sales, indicating a closed operating system is still viable in today's market. It would also take Linux to convince retailers that Linux is the preferred operating system people want to ship with their new computers. Both are not taking place right now.
Open source has it's advantages, but History shows that Open source can not beat the quality and functionality of paid for closed systems. Lot's of folks contribute to open source, but not are all on the same page, or getting paid.

Gimp for example is a awesome photo editing program, but it's still far behind the awesome Photoshop made by adobe. I use both, and Photoshop by far is king.
Linux may be cool for nerds, but out of the box, Windows blows it away for customer use and ability to understand.

Just the question about getting two accounts to share the same program is a breeze in windows with several easy ways to set that up. The List goes long.

Microsoft is listening to customers for the first time. A indication that trying that, instead of going open source my be the solution.
Pirates will get the free Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft has done the math, and getting everyone the same windows makes tracking bugs and squashing security issues much more easy, along with getting software developers to jump on board to develop for windows 10 new abilities.

Let's face it. Pirates may have stolen Window's, but Pirates still buy 3rd party software on Steam for 9.00. Sales that help developers, help Microsoft convince developers that Windows is king. It would make sense to give pirates windows. Doing so adds millions to their date base of new customers to track browsing habits and market to them. Makes perfect business sense.

I went back and copied a notice to 7 and 8.1 users
Windows, I agree will not go open source. It would take the Android/Apple war to be clearly won by Android and for some odd reason, Apple is neck in neck with Android in sales, indicating a closed operating system is still viable in today's market. It would also take Linux to convince retailers that Linux is the preferred operating system people want to ship with their new computers. Both are not taking place right now.
Open source has it's advantages, but History shows that Open source can not beat the quality and functionality of paid for closed systems. Lot's of folks contribute to open source, but not are all on the same page, or getting paid.

Gimp for example is a awesome photo editing program, but it's still far behind the awesome Photoshop made by adobe. I use both, and Photoshop by far is king.
Linux may be cool for nerds, but out of the box, Windows blows it away for customer use and ability to understand.

Just the question about getting two accounts to share the same program is a breeze in windows with several easy ways to set that up. The List goes long.

Microsoft is listening to customers for the first time. A indication that trying that, instead of going open source my be the solution.
Pirates will get the free Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft has done the math, and getting everyone the same windows makes tracking bugs and squashing security issues much more easy, along with getting software developers to jump on board to develop for windows 10 new abilities.

Let's face it. Pirates may have stolen Window's, but Pirates still buy 3rd party software on Steam for 9.00. Sales that help developers, help Microsoft convince developers that Windows is king. It would make sense to give pirates windows. Doing so adds millions to their date base of new customers to track browsing habits and market to them. Makes perfect business sense.
Spot on brother. As a rusty old nerd of the seventies I will continue using Linux but I will also upgrade my 7 and 8.1 systems and hopefully MS has actually heard the customers and knocked it off with the nasty little windoze 8.1 habit of being the only acceptable system on a unit. I have yet to find a work around to stop it from dumping any other Boot Manager. If anyone has, please, please, tell me.

As a stupid nerd Techy i hate windoze and last evening, as I was discovering some fine points of windoze 7 I came up with the lyrics for my MS juingle;
Oh, how I hate windoze,
I cannot count high enough to number the ways!

That expressed, most of my friends at Church use one of the MS mistakes and as hard as I push Ubuntu and Linux Mint with the Cinnamon Desk Top, a great number of people still think free software is a Russian Communist plot.

and walking away the old codger began to sing, "Oh, how I hate win..."

Oooooh, send me a recording of that so it can be my new ring tone!

Just received a notice on my PC that Windows 10 full version upgrade will be free. It will download when it is ready, and I can install it at my convenience.

I figure I need it to get the latest security features and patches, so I just reserved my copy. I'll get used to the new way of doing things.

I have no idea if they are going open source... but I do know they are opening up their API's to other developers... and I can see how this could get confused as open source.

I was just reading that Windows 10 will be the same across all platforms (pc, tablet, phone). So a developer can use the same API for his app and the program will run on all three platforms as a single application.

Although I read there are still some limitations for the phone, essentially the days are numbered when a developer has to write three applications that do the same thing because of the three different platforms (pc, tablet, phone)... Now, only one application has to be developed and can be deployed across all three platforms with the same code.

I did a quick search on it the day I last posted here and found no validity to the claim they were going open source.

I did find the claims, but nothing to substantiate.

Way back, 10 or 15yrs ago, I had a software company get a a tad testy with me when I asked if they were considering making their software compatible with Linux. They evidently got as lot of that because all I did was ask and the indication was he assumed I was a diehard Linux promoter..

Anyway, he said NO, they would not consider making their software compatible with an OS where the odds of them ever going mainstream were insurmountable. Too bad that attitude prevailed because the odds aren't so insurmountable anymore and for me personally, if just video game software worked as well with Linux as with Windows, I would have no use for Microsoft's very expensive software.

Maybe soon though, I think Linux now has everyone's attention.

Kenny_ms
I haven't checked, but Microsoft said they were going to be making a version of Office for Android (aka linux).
The wave of the future is portability and all the big players are getting on board. Oracle Java started it, VmWare perfected it and now Microsoft is copying it :)

Pretty soon, you'll be able to run any app in it's own virtual space independent of the OS. Look at WebOffice...

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back