Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Windows 9 preview

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I will be sticking with 7 on my home desktop and 8 on my laptop. No upgrades for me in the near future.

Same here. My computer came with Win 7 and I'm happy.
I am not trying to take over this thread, but I think I have not said anything that can be understood yet. I have a picture in my head, but have not conveyed that picture (information) to others.

Classic Shell (see other thread) is just a small program that makes windows 8 look and work more like the older windows (95, XP, etc).

Windows 8 is still there. There is just an additional small program that gives a start button and familiar drop down menus. You are running Windows 8, but it looks like the older versions of Windows. My wife and I no longer are in terror of using Windows 8.

Go to the other thread and others that know more than me can help. I will shut up.

eddif

I am not trying to take over this thread, but I think I have not said anything that can be understood yet. I have a picture in my head, but have not conveyed that picture (information) to others.

Classic Shell (see other thread) is just a small program that makes windows 8 look and work more like the older windows (95, XP, etc).

Windows 8 is still there. There is just an additional small program that gives a start button and familiar drop down menus. You are running Windows 8, but it looks like the older versions of Windows. My wife and I no longer are in terror of using Windows 8.

Go to the other thread and others that know more than me can help. I will shut up.

eddif
No worries eddif. I have been using it on my laptop as well. The program actually bypasses the start screen and goes right into your desktop when you login. Really enjoy it.

The shell software / program has made our windows 8 computer an acceptable choice. Thanks so much.

eddif
Eddif,
I to have added the shell but the system is not acceptable. Both mine and one of my still working buds units have dumped, completely, work in progress and backed up by stagged saves. Right now, to avoid this manure system dumping my graphics work again I am progressively saving to my USB drive hoping that avoids the complete dumps. The shell improves navigation around the system and a paper from Mary Foley, I think it was, has MS adding the shell in a future update but that does not stabilize the system. I'll not be happy until the linux kernel allows me to dump this mess.

Eddif,
I to have added the shell but the system is not acceptable. Both mine and one of my still working buds units have dumped, completely, work in progress and backed up by stagged saves. Right now, to avoid this manure system dumping my graphics work again I am progressively saving to my USB drive hoping that avoids the complete dumps. The shell improves navigation around the system and a paper from Mary Foley, I think it was, has MS adding the shell in a future update but that does not stabilize the system. I'll not be happy until the linux kernel allows me to dump this mess.
You should always save your work to a different drive than that which the operating system resides. I usually will partition the main hard drive (if I don't have another physical one) and use the new partition to save files, and let the OS sit by itself on the main partition. That way if the OS crashes I won't lose anything.

You should always save your work to a different drive than that which the operating system resides. I usually will partition the main hard drive (if I don't have another physical one) and use the new partition to save files, and let the OS sit by itself on the main partition. That way if the OS crashes I won't lose anything.
Until 8, even with Linux, that has been my practice also but for incremental (temp backups) I have saved to the main drive until I shut down for the day and then save what is completed to the external, use it like a cloud drive. But in both cases of my lost work I was building the images when windoze just tossed everything into hyper-space making the only way to recover dependent upon Photorec. In the case of my friends Lap Top, He was on site, working an estimate for an industrial pour for foundation and concrete walls. My previous day's work was backed up but I lost several hours and James, being on site, lost everything, all because MS sells trash.

Windows 9 Preview to Launch September 30

Code-named Threshold, Windows 9 is set to bring a major change in terms of design and features compared to Windows 8, which was launched less than two years ago.
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/windows-9-set-to-launch-on-september-30-95384657789.html
6e49d1988d64e30b9954d541ab72501052aadf35.jpg

Exactly how much time is there between the end of September and the beginning of October?
The TOG

From the end of September: September 30, 0070 (Julian calendar)
To the beginning of October: October 1, 2015 (Gregorian calendar)

Result: 710,399 days
Or 1945 years, 1 day.

Alternative time units
710,399 days can be converted to one of these units:
  • 61,378,473,600 seconds
  • 1,022,974,560 minutes
  • 17,049,576 hours
  • 710,399 days
  • 101,485 weeks (rounded down)
complements of http://www.timeanddate.com/date/durationresult.html?m1=9&d1=31&y1=70&m2=10&d2=1&y2=2015

That was one of the reasons the city of Munich switched their computers to Linux. After having made the switch, they say it cost less to train people to use Linux than it would have to train them to use Windows 7 and then Windows 8 if they had stayed with Microsoft. And since the interface (a customized version of KDE) is similar to the Windows XP interface, there was actually a lot less that people had to learn, so there was less loss of productivity.

The TOG​

with windows, anti-virus anti-malware used to take 1 to 2 hours and up every few weeks, all year. (50 hours plus).
with apple, haven't had anti-virus nor anti-malware in 3 years, not one penny, not one minute. no problems.

companies that switch to apple have often been pleasantly surprised (usually, some exceptions) that they save so
much time in just a few weeks, not crashing and not having virus/mal-ware problems,
and time and money saved not having to call in a tech to fix things
and not needing a manual or tech to show them how to make it work.

with windows, anti-virus anti-malware used to take 1 to 2 hours and up every few weeks, all year. (50 hours plus).
with apple, haven't had anti-virus nor anti-malware in 3 years, not one penny, not one minute. no problems.

companies that switch to apple have often been pleasantly surprised (usually, some exceptions) that they save so
much time in just a few weeks, not crashing and not having virus/mal-ware problems,
and time and money saved not having to call in a tech to fix things
and not needing a manual or tech to show them how to make it work.

Some years ago, I took a short (1 day) course in iMovie at an art school. I talked to the schools computer administrator, and he told me that about 80% of the school's computers were Macs, but that at least 80% of his time was spent fixing problems with Windows computers.

The TOG​

Some of us find it tough to come up with the cost of a Mac. Recently the Mini-Cube was announced for a cost of two hundred dollars with no OS. If a body downloads or has a friend download one of the Linux's 1000 or better systems and writes it to disk there is no cost for the system. The Mini-Cube, I recall, is loaded with 16 gigs of RAM and an external DVD-RW can be purchased for $35 and Linux is the reason Macs do not get virus's, so using the same kernel, as I understand it, of course, no maintenance. With Ubuntu, the No. 2 most used OS, and Mint, the number 4 most used OS, there is no cost and no maintenance.

My next computer will have Windows 7.Should it be a PC desktop or a laptop?I would never take it anywhere.

It's akin to Windows 7 after Vista. At least, that's the hope.

If you opened a command prompt in Windows Vista and typed "ver" (without the quotes, of course), it would tell you the version number, which was 6.0. If you do the same in Windows 7, it tells you that the version is 6.1. Are they saying that this will be a similarly "huge" change?

The TOG​

If you opened a command prompt in Windows Vista and typed "ver" (without the quotes, of course), it would tell you the version number, which was 6.0. If you do the same in Windows 7, it tells you that the version is 6.1. Are they saying that this will be a similarly "huge" change?

The TOG​
LOL!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back