Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

WIndows Apostate

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Hi i left the church of windows and entered into linux. Free at last. Im using linux lite which does everything i used to do on windows and its free.Give it a try

Reactions: TOG
I'm glad to hear that you have found salvation from bondage to M$ Windows and now have true freedom in Linux.

The TOG​

Congrats! I've been totally windows free for close to 3 years now, and partially free for almost 4. I run Ubuntu on this ol' Vista laptop that got one of it's many viruses, and most people would have had this computer in the landfill long, long time ago. But I took pity and asked myself if Linux would work since I already loaded it on my tower computer previously. It brought back new life to this computer and is now my favorite in this house (It's a Dell Inspiron E1505) that my oldest son once used for his engineering classes years ago. But even back then, he got a Mac and that was good, too (but expensive). At least Linux is free like you said.

Check out the thread on Cubox. That's where computers are going since Linux (or at least it's kernal) runs most of the electronics/devices today and Microsoft only has a smaller share of desktops/laptops and is struggling with devices that most people have today. I only see a burnt-out shell of a once great corporation with them, because they did not keep up with the times nor improved their poor security, virus prone operating system. So that Cubox (or Cubox-like system) will replace my desktop as it gets older because building computers (as fun as it was) with modular boards is soooo turn of the millennium. Everything now is on one board, and you can insert your favorite Linux operating system on an SD card. But I still want to wait awhile yet to see where this progresses.

In the meantime, just enjoy the comedy of errors that some people post here about another Microsoft virus, incompatibility, or performance problem. I mention Linux, but it goes in one ear and out the other, and then they continue to whine more about their badly performing computers, and then pay for that operating system as well. :lol

I work for the city's IT department. Nearly all the city's computers run Windows 7. With the minimum requirements for Win7 being what they are, we are currently replacing all computers that are from 2007 or older with new computers. There is a public library that has 2 computers that do nothing but connect to a specific website where people can look for books online and see if they are checked out or available. They computers they had were from 2003 running Windows XP, and people were complaining that they were way too slow. The city wants to replace them with brand new computers running Windows 7. But that might take time, since there are hundreds of computers to replace, and only 3 people imaging the new computers. The library on the other hand needed new computers now. I thought to myself, "Why do they need to wait for months for brand new computers with Windows 7, Office 2010 and other software installed? So I took two computers that they were gong to throw away (from 2006), put Peppermint Linux on them and used them to replace the old computers. I haven't heard a complaint from them since. The city has hundreds of computers like those, that only connect to one website or only display announcements on a monitor or something else very simple. Of course, Linux can do much more than that, but I'm having a hard time convincing my superiors that we don't need Windows for those things. If they won't accept even that, I guess there's not much hope. Fortunately, not all cities are like mine. Check this out.

The TOG​

My old toshiba satelite being 4 years old is fast and never lets me down with linux. I have never had a virus or had to install any kind of security software

tim-from-pa
In the meantime, just enjoy the comedy of errors that some people post here about another Microsoft virus, incompatibility, or performance problem. I mention Linux, but it goes in one ear and out the other, and then they continue to whine more about their badly performing computers, and then pay for that operating system as well.
:cries you are picking on me again :cries

tim-from-pa :cries you are picking on me again :cries

Well, Reba, you know what you have to do with your computer to stop that, right? :lol

Reba's on my buddy list, and with friends like me it makes the enemies easier to take. :hysterical

But if you notice, It wasn't you that had some of these recent problems. If I remember correctly, your last problem was just a browser issue that can happen on other OS's, although I like to sometimes blame MS just to sound like a broken record and make Bill Gates a whipping boy. :lol You may have to scroll back a few pages to see the other problems from various people.

Ballmar's also gone. It's that Indian guy now, forget his name. But Gates started it all, and they just continued the tradition.

I had to look it up. Satya Nadella is the chief executive of Microsoft now. I must have missed that when he took over earlier this year.

The TOG​

Linux may be worth looking into, but how does it handle networking between computers, running programs like MS Office, photoshop, and some media programs?

I have had windows for years and years and I still have it.No problem for me.I have heard of people switching and it was a nightmare.

Linux may be worth looking into, but how does it handle networking between computers, running programs like MS Office, photoshop, and some media programs?

Linux reads MS office documents fine, and also has its free version of open office where you can make documents, spreadsheets, and office presentations. The main problem I had is forgetting to save it in Microsoft format and then the Microsoft computer does not know what to do with it: in other words, Linux catered to Microsoft and can read their stuff, but the opposite is not always true, unless Microsoft has added $oftware.

Linux has it's own version of photoshop, and some MS programs run in wine. I'm not one to do much with pictures other than to resize, crop, or minor modifications, so I can't go into detail. But Linux can do what I could on a photosuite program I once had with MS, and again, it's free.

Linux also has it's own media software, that can read all the usual movies or sound tracks. I can pop a CD or DVD into my Linux laptop here, connect it to my TV and play things (or burn). And again, this is software included in the operating system bundle, not something you have to pay more to and add to your MS system.

Lastly, if there's some cherished program you absolutely love on MS and can't bear to part with it, you can opt to dual boot, or even use a stand-alone MS computer to do it. If you read my gripes about MS, I mostly focus on viral issues which is a consequence of it being connected to the Internet, and a poor security philosophy. Also, I complain about "tune-up" issues which is basically poor file and storage management, such as a bloated registry, too many start-up programs at boot, etc. But given no viruses, and a well tuned computer, I find that MS, like any operating system, has some pretty awesome programs running on it. But again, what's the use of having a top-notch sports car if it's in the garage all the time and you can't use it?

The reason I am considering this is my computer has been crashing here and there lately, mostly just going to the blue screen where it does a memory dump, reboots, then everything is "fine."

If I can use Linux the same way I am using windows right now to connect to my laptop through my wireless router I may actually pull the trigger. I just want to be able to use the Microsoft Office files I have, specifically spreadsheets we use for our personal budget, and other things.

The reason I am considering this is my computer has been crashing here and there lately, mostly just going to the blue screen where it does a memory dump, reboots, then everything is "fine."

If I can use Linux the same way I am using windows right now to connect to my laptop through my wireless router I may actually pull the trigger. I just want to be able to use the Microsoft Office files I have, specifically spreadsheets we use for our personal budget, and other things.

Sounds like a "go" to me. Back up your personal files on a schtick and Linux can read them after an install. I use Ubuntu here, but I am hearing rave reviews about Linux MINT as one of the most user friendly Linux distro if coming from Windows. My son, who is working on his Masters toward computer science, recommends that. Once this computer crashes and I have another one, I will try that next, but so far I love this one too much as long as it's working fine like it is.

I only have limited experience with Ubuntu, and live CD disto Knoppix. There's so many flavors of Linux it's hard to choose.

Sounds like a "go" to me. Back up your personal files on a schtick and Linux can read them after an install. I use Ubuntu here, but I am hearing rave reviews about Linux MINT as one of the most user friendly Linux distro if coming from Windows. My son, who is working on his Masters toward computer science, recommends that. Once this computer crashes and I have another one, I will try that next, but so far I love this one too much as long as it's working fine like it is.

I only have limited experience with Ubuntu, and live CD disto Knoppix. There's so many flavors of Linux it's hard to choose.
Saving my existing files will not be a problem, as I have three different physical drives in my computer tower. A SSD for the OS, and two HDD for files and stuff.

Back