Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] work?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I receive disability for mental problems. Honestly....a lot of my "disability" is from Mental Health, Inc...especially the involuntary shock...

...but, The Lord is good! I'm now remarkably normal, smart enough for...life, all that good stuff. And I just had a convo with my friend, Verna, and she said to get a job before I turn into even more of a recluse.

The problem is...its SSI. I'm not permitted to work a whole lot and keep disability. I also have a misdemeanor (not a minor one, btw). There's a lady at the mental health clinic who places people like me in jobs...I don't know what kinda jobs, but...jobs. I should at least talk to her, right?

My big concern is that, since I"m on probation, I'll get a job, get off disability, and then lose the job, and have to tell my probation officer: "i'm unemployed," which isn't a good thing when you're on probation. There's also losing disability, which would be disastrous if I found myself unemployed and had to once again turn to my parents for help and support.

I should mention that I've apparently been varying degrees of mentally ill for a long time...before I graduated High School. For whatever reason, the doctors and counselors I saw before I got saved over-treated me (heavy meds, controlled substances, shock treatments), or just let me go without any treatment. They tended to pull out the Freud, too, which...isn't helpful.

My current counselor says I've been mentally ill for a long time, and this is probably the longest I've ever been genuinely stable. I mention that so you don't think I"m just trying to dodge work or whatever. I made mistakes and committed sins left and right, but...I may have been sick, but barely functional enough to stay out of a hospital. Its America, this happens.

Now, thanks to meds, counseling, my parents, and The Good Lord...well, I'm a work in progress. I can do things now, questions are: what? where? for how much?

So...this is a prayer request, plus a request for insight and replies, if you feel like it. I want to do something with my life, but I'm 32. Not old, but...past 25, which is apparently some kind of magic age in America.

I pray for guidance and wisdom enough to make a good decision here. Thanks. :)

Hey Brother CE, I'm not sure I have it right, but being on SSI limits you to earnings, and also assets such as a car's worth.
There are many sources of advice available on Google, but I would think your local source of SSI information would be the safest to ensure continuation of present benefits, or restoration of them in case you returned to a time in the future you may need. I believe you meet the qualifications of under twenty-six years of age when you were unable to work, and thus have an easier method of returning to SSI in the future if needed. Why I'm saying all this is the fact you may outlive your parents, or have a future need of help they're no longer there to fill, and that leaves SSI instead of the street. There are even private group homes available in those situations. I would make sure of any eventuality before jumping into something you cannot return to.

Here is an example of Google search on SSI. https://ca.db101.org/ca/situations/...ram.able.htm?gclid=CJ26_6DM084CFYQCaQodQdQJRQ

thanks, eugene. Yeah...disability is a huge blessing, but it does come with strings attached. I get it, I do...especially with SSI, they wanna make sure that people receiving help need it.

Maybe work just isn't for me. My counselor talks about me working part time, and so does my shrink, but...I get the sense that I might lose more than I'd gain by working at this point. --sigh--

Thanks again.

You could talk to someone at the Social Security office near you. They would have the info you seek concerning work programs while on SSI. The link Brother Eugene provided is also a good one for additional search information.

Remember, my friend, we Christians walk by faith, not by sight. Trust our Lord to provide....and stay in prayer that you'll recognize open doors that He has opened for you!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back