Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Works

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
LaCrum said:
The problem with talking about works is that it easily turns into legalism and a list of “dos and don’tsâ€.

I would rather define “works†as being clothed in Christ (Galations 3:27 - for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.)

Being clothed in Christ means to start acting like the new creation He has made you.

If you are a "new creation", and refuse to act like it, will it affect your salvation?

I was reading a chapter out of a Malcom Smith book concerning the New Covenant and it was about temptation. He talks about when we try and fight our temptations to sin, we are giving credence to them. He says instead of saying “No†to temptation; say “Yes†instead to Christ. When temptation rears its head (and it will), be present in Christ. Remember that you are in Him and his is in you.

:thumb

This makes me think of the "Garden" scene in the Passion Of The Christ. When Satan tempted Jesus by talking directly to Him, Jesus responded by talking directly to the Father. He didn't even acknowledge Satan's presence, He just went to God. This is one of my favorite movie scenes of all time.

The importance of " works" can not be understated. Listen to this from God:
Jam 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

So what are works lets let the Bible answer what you are going to be judged on:

Zec 7:10 And oppress not the widow, nor the fatherless, the stranger, nor the poor; and let none of you imagine evil against his brother in your heart.

Mal 3:5 And I will come near to you to judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in [his] wages, the widow, and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger [from his right], and fear not me, saith the LORD of hosts.

Jam 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, [and] to keep himself unspotted from the world.

A close look at these verses highlights how we cared for the FATHERLESS AND THE WIDOWS.

How did you meet out compassion for others , are you a volunteer, do you support orphans with your time and money, how do you personally take care of widows.

Have you turned aside the strangers to the truth with your evil actions and words or how many have you led to the truth.

Malachi 3 5 tells you what you will be judged on.
Do not let people tell you works are not important.
They twist it around and say you are saved by grace, works do not matter. Foolish thinking like once saved always saved.

I dont want to turn this into," if works are necessary or not" as the poster said what are works.

Sin cerley Craig

while i think that our faith should have works with it.

when we stray and go off into the deep end ie fail to go to church, and have sex outside of marriage and so on.

some do stray but not that bad other far worse.

what then?

can they be forgiven? if they knowingly did these things, for if you read the bible you know the commands.

Elvispelvis said:
The importance of " works" can not be understated. Listen to this from God:
Jam 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

So what are works lets let the Bible answer what you are going to be judged on:

Zec 7:10 And oppress not the widow, nor the fatherless, the stranger, nor the poor; and let none of you imagine evil against his brother in your heart.

Mal 3:5 And I will come near to you to judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in [his] wages, the widow, and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger [from his right], and fear not me, saith the LORD of hosts.

Jam 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, [and] to keep himself unspotted from the world.

A close look at these verses highlights how we cared for the FATHERLESS AND THE WIDOWS.

How did you meet out compassion for others , are you a volunteer, do you support orphans with your time and money, how do you personally take care of widows.

Have you turned aside the strangers to the truth with your evil actions and words or how many have you led to the truth.

Malachi 3 5 tells you what you will be judged on.
Do not let people tell you works are not important.
They twist it around and say you are saved by grace, works do not matter. Foolish thinking like once saved always saved.

I dont want to turn this into," if works are necessary or not" as the poster said what are works.

Sin cerley Craig

OK, then we are all in agreement. We should do good works. I don't think anyone (Catholic, Protestant, atheist, Buddhist, etc.) would disagree with you.

Whenever you start a thread you must expect that people are going to disagree with you and each other, especially when the thread is entitled simply (and vaguely) "Works".

"Works of the law" and "good works" are completely different Scripturally, so I think it's natural for people to ask if Paul means "good deeds" when he condemns "works" or if he only means "works of the law". If he ONLY means "law" when he says "works" (and Drew, Francis and I think he does) then it begs the question, are there other works (good deeds) that DO affect our salvation?

I don't think you can have a proper discussion concerning "works" without discussing, at least in part, whether SOME works affect salvation, especially since there SEEMS to be a stark contradiction between James and Paul.

Is it correct to say that faith produces good works? Post Scripture...

By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. The one who says, "I have come to know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him: the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.

1 John 2:3-6

What use is it, my brethren, if a man says he has faith, but he has no works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and be filled,†and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that? Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself. But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.

James 2:14-18

"But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God."

John 3:21

For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection,knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; for he who has died is freed from sin.

Romans 6:5-7

So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.

Philippians 2:12-13

Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love.

2 Peter 1:5-7

I'm not going to type out all of Romans 8:1-18 but that's definitely a good one also.

Not always. See 1 Cor 13:2

Regards

Why not always? Wouldn't true faith always produce good works out of love?

yoamocuy said:

I don't cease to have faith when I fail to love. I'm a fallible human being and I sin, as did Paul, Peter and every other saint. Certainly when someone comes to Christ that person probably sins less and does more good works, but to say a saved person "always" produces good works is to deny the obvious reality of personal sin.

yoamocuy said:

Dad is correct. Sin remains, even for the one strong in faith. As 1 Cor 13 states, a person can have a LOT of faith, enough even to move mountains, but without love, there is nothing. Note, that huge amount of faith can exist without love.

Regards

tjw said:
What are the "works" that James is talking about?
Good point.

James 2:18 Yea, a man will say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: show me thy faith apart from thy works, and I by my works will show thee my faith.
Works is faith being seen in action.

The key part of this verse is "show me thy faith." That is exactly what works does. Back in verse 14 it says....
14 What doth it profit, my brethren, if a man say he hath faith, but have not works? can that faith save him?
It is a parallel statement to verse 18 and the concept of "show me your faith." The person who cannot "show" his faith, the audience is asked a question, can that faith save? What kind of faith is James talking about here? Verse 14 is clear..... "if a man say he hath faith."

I admit that there are some who believe that the movement of air over the vocal cords in saying some certain words like "I have faith" is sufficient to assume that the person is saved. Verse 14 does not seem to agree with that. Verse 18 pictures the same person who says "I have faith." The person in verse 14, who again later appears in verse 18 cannot show his faith for a reason. The passing of air over the vocal cords to make certain sounds (I have faith) will never result in works. To produce works takes saving faith, and not merely a claim to have faith.

James is showing the way faith is visible, the way faith can be shown, works alone will justify the claim to have faith.

I think the context gives both anecdotal illustrations on the lack of works for the person who claims to have faith (see vs 15-16, 19) and positive anecdotal illustrations of people in the OT that were justified in their claim to have faith (21, 25). Abraham and Rahab were justified in their claim to have faith when they could "show their faith."

What were the works they did to "show their faith?" Abraham was ready to obey God to sacrifice Isaac (vs 21). Of course Hebrews 11 explains the interaction of faith and works int he case of Abraham. Abraham obeyed God assuming that God would bring Isaac back from the dead. See Hebrews 11:17 By faith Abraham, being tried, offered up Isaac: yea, he that had gladly received the promises was offering up his only begotten son;
18 even he to whom it was said, In Isaac shall thy seed be called:
19 accounting that God is able to raise up, even from the dead; from whence he did also in a figure receive him back.

So why did Abraham obey? He believed the promise of the seed! See the interaction how works will "show me" faith? Who can deny that Abraham was a man of faith and that his faith was saving faith?

That was Abrahams work that justified his claim to faith. Rahab (25) is the 2nd work mentioned. She hid the spies (called messengers -- greek word for angels). She is also mentioned in Hebrews 11:31 By faith Rahab the harlot perished not with them that were disobedient, having received the spies with peace. Less is said about Rahab. But she was justified in her claim to faith because of her deed with the spies.

What are works? Works are the fruits of saving faith. Works are that which shows faith to be saving. By the way, the passage nowhere says that those works assist in the salvation of anyone. Within the context, they merely serve to "show me your faith."

In James 2, a person is not justified in his claim to having saving faith by anything except works and works alone. It is not 50% faith and 50%, the claim to faith is justified by 100% works. That is because saving faith is the source of works. The same regeneration that causes faith, causes faith the produces works.

The conclusion is that from James 2, works can be anything from obedience to a specific command of God, to giving assistance to fellow servants of Yahweh.

I don't cease to have faith when I fail to love. I'm a fallible human being and I sin, as did Paul, Peter and every other saint. Certainly when someone comes to Christ that person probably sins less and does more good works, but to say a saved person "always" produces good works is to deny the obvious reality of personal sin.

Ok, I see what you're saying and I agree completely. I guess I was looking at in a general sense. When we have true faith our life in general will be completely different from the old one and good works will abound, but yes we will still have moments where we fall.

yoamocuy said:

Ok, I see what you're saying and I agree completely. I guess I was looking at in a general sense. When we have true faith our life in general will be completely different from the old one and good works will abound, but yes we will still have moments where we fall.
So I am just curious what did Jesus mean He said this....
Matthew 7
17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

Or would you just simply tell Jesus He was wrong?

mondar said:
What are works? Works are the fruits of saving faith. Works are that which shows faith to be saving.
It will no doubt come as no surprise to you that I disagree. Here in Romans 2, Paul speaks of people being "saved" in terms of receiving eternal life according to their deeds:

God "will give to each person according to what he has done." 7To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.

I think that Paul means exactly what he says here.

You are taking the poistion that "works are the fruits of saving faith".

I take the position that Paul discerns a tense structure to both salvation and the closely related, yet distinct, concept of justification: there is a present justification (salvation) by faith, and there is a future justification (salvation) by good deeds (or goods works, if you prefer).

The way they work together is this: Because of the transforming power of the Holy Spirit, which is given on the basis of faith and faith alone, the person is changed into the kind of person who will manifest the "good deeds" that will justify him (save him) at the end.

Thus one can agree with Paul that people are justified (in the present) based on their faith.

And one can also agree with Paul (in Romans 2) that these same people will be justified, at the end, based on their deeds.

And one is not forced to sweep Romans 2 under the rug as many do.

LaCrum said:
The problem with talking about works is that it easily turns into legalism and a list of “dos and don’tsâ€.

I would rather define “works†as being clothed in Christ (Galations 3:27 - for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.).
I am not sure why you appear to think that "defining what works means" is up to you (or to me for that matter). I trust we agree that we need to let Paul define the term for us. And in many, perhaps most, of his uses of this term, he is referring specifically to the practices of the Law of Moses. Example:

For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law. 29Or is God the God of Jews only? Is He not the God of Gentiles also? Yes, of Gentiles also,

Verse 29 only makes sense if the practices of the Law of Moses are in view in verse 28. Knowing full well that the Law of Moses is for Jews only, Paul is saying that since God accepts Gentiles into His family, justification is not by doing the works of the Law of Moses.

Because if it were, justification would be for Jews only.

But let me be clear: Paul, and other writers like James, sometimes uses the term "works" to refer to the more general category of good works.

mondar said:
What are works? Works are the fruits of saving faith. Works are that which shows faith to be saving. By the way, the passage nowhere says that those works assist in the salvation of anyone. Within the context, they merely serve to "show me your faith."

Works are necessary, for without them, it proves you do not have saving faith. Thus, having a certainty of God's existence and the knowledge that Jesus' death was salvific and would be applied to the believer (Luther's idea) is just not enough.

Without works, faith alone does not save.
Without faith, works alone do not save.

I think you are trying mightly to deny that works of love are not needed for salvation, that they merely define faith as saving - but they are indeed part of the formula, for without them, a person is "nothing" according to Paul. In 1 Cor 13, Paul speaks of a HUGE amount of faith being nothing without love.

mondar said:
In James 2, a person is not justified in his claim to having saving faith by anything except works and works alone. It is not 50% faith and 50%, the claim to faith is justified by 100% works. That is because saving faith is the source of works. The same regeneration that causes faith, causes faith the produces works.

I would say GOD is the source of works, just as in faith. "Saving faith" does not bring about saving works - this takes God out of the equation of sanctification. God merely needs to provide the catalyst, and then, faith takes over. No, God is involved in both faith and in works. The source is God, not faith, for we can do NOTHING salvific without Jesus. Thus, faith by itself does not provide good works.

mondar said:
The conclusion is that from James 2, works can be anything from obedience to a specific command of God, to giving assistance to fellow servants of Yahweh.
[/quote]

"Good" works is dependent upon an attitude towards God, not an absolute action, since obeying God's commandments and expcecting rewards or wages is a "work of the law".

Regards

francisdesales said:
mondar said:

Works are necessary, for without them, it proves you do not have saving faith. Thus, having a certainty of God's existence and the knowledge that Jesus' death was salvific and would be applied to the believer (Luther's idea) is just not enough.

Without works, faith alone does not save.
Without faith, works alone do not save.

I think you are trying mightly to deny that works of love are not needed for salvation, that they merely define faith as saving - but they are indeed part of the formula, for without them, a person is "nothing" according to Paul. In 1 Cor 13, Paul speaks of a HUGE amount of faith being nothing without love.

mondar said:

I would say GOD is the source of works, just as in faith. "Saving faith" does not bring about saving works - this takes God out of the equation of sanctification. God merely needs to provide the catalyst, and then, faith takes over. No, God is involved in both faith and in works. The source is God, not faith, for we can do NOTHING salvific without Jesus. Thus, faith by itself does not provide good works.

mondar said:

"Good" works is dependent upon an attitude towards God, not an absolute action, since obeying God's commandments and expcecting rewards or wages is a "work of the law".

Regards
And where do you deal with the text of James 2:18 and its importance to the context of James 2?

tjw said:
This might be an easy question, but I'm going to ask it to make sure I have a good understanding...

When discussing salvation, when someone says "faith plus works," what do you mean by "works?"

Does it mean Catholic sacraments? Does it mean helping the poor (and things like that)? Does it mean trying not to sin?

I had trouble understanding this verse also until I read it in another translation that just seem to make sense to me. I can't remember what translation it was but it translated "faith without works is dead" to "belief without action is worthless". So I feel that the "works" you are referring to is simply putting what you believe into action.

In other words practice what you preach.

Drew said:
mondar said:
What are works? Works are the fruits of saving faith. Works are that which shows faith to be saving.
It will no doubt come as no surprise to you that I disagree. Here in Romans 2, Paul speaks of people being "saved" in terms of receiving eternal life according to their deeds:

God "will give to each person according to what he has done." 7To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.

I think that Paul means exactly what he says here.

You are taking the poistion that "works are the fruits of saving faith".

I take the position that Paul discerns a tense structure to both salvation and the closely related, yet distinct, concept of justification: there is a present justification (salvation) by faith, and there is a future justification (salvation) by good deeds (or goods works, if you prefer).

The way they work together is this: Because of the transforming power of the Holy Spirit, which is given on the basis of faith and faith alone, the person is changed into the kind of person who will manifest the "good deeds" that will justify him (save him) at the end.

Thus one can agree with Paul that people are justified (in the present) based on their faith.

And one can also agree with Paul (in Romans 2) that these same people will be justified, at the end, based on their deeds.

And one is not forced to sweep Romans 2 under the rug as many do.
As one who takes a high view of the authority of scriptures, I would not want to sweep anything in the scriptures under the rug. I hope you are not suggesting that I am doing that? And yes, of course I know we disagree strongly.

Why dont we both present a positive exegesis of Romans 2 and just let it go. I would suggest we focus on exegesis of the text and demonstrating how all parts fit together into a context, if you are willing. I will go first.

INTRODUCTORY COMMENTS ON CONTEXT
Romans 2 is not a chapter on the method of salvation. That does not come until Chapter 3. Romans 2 logically follows Romans 1. In Romans 1 it is shown how the nations are without excuse because of their rebellion against God. Romans 2 shows that Gods "impartial" judgment is also on the Jew. God is not showing favoritism to the Jew because he is Jewish.
11 for there is no respect of persons with God.

Romans 2 is especially about the impartial judgment of God specifically upon the Jew. It was the Jew that condemned the Gentile, but then the Jew turned around and did the same things as the Gentile.
1 Wherefore thou art without excuse, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judges another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest dost practise the same things.
In verse 1, the term "O man" is not referring to Gentiles, but Jews.

2 And we know that the judgment of God is according to truth against them that practise such things.
In verse 2, he again restates his theme, that the judgment of God is impartially against the Jew who practices the things that the same Jewish people judge gentiles for. The judgment of God is not according to favoritism, but according to "truth."

3 And reckonest thou this, O man, who judgest them that practise such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God?
4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?
5 but after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up for thyself wrath in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;
6 who will render to every man according to his works:

Notice again how verse 3 goes back to verse 1 and term "O man" is repeated. Mr. Jew, or "O man" is to be judged for practicing the same things as Gentiles. One of the great sins of Mr. "O man" is that he despisisest the riches of his goodness." This of course is a reference not to insufficient works, but a rejection of grace. Recognizing the context so far, verse 6 is not a statement that salvation is of works. That would be to isolate verse 6 from verses 1-5. Verse 6 is to be read in the context of 1-5 and seen as a statement that each will receive his own."

7 to them that by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and incorruption, eternal life:
Certainly the sinless will receive eternal life, but in light of the context, and the fact that it is about the impartially of Gods judgment, this verse is not a method of salvation, but only a statement of Gods impartial judgment.
*** If Paul is making a statement concerning Gods impartiality in judgment, he must of course also make a statement about the fact that if one can be righteous, God will reward him with eternal life. The idea of this statement is not a method of salvation, but a statement of the positive side of Gods impartiality.

8 but unto them that are factious, and obey not the truth, but obey unrighteousness, shall be wrath and indignation,
9 tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that worketh evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Greek;

This is of course a passage on the negative. It is to the Jew first. It is to "O man." In this passage, Paul makes it clear that Gods judgment is on both Jew and Gentile, but the passage is mainly about the Jew who judges the Gentile, and then practices the same things.

10 but glory and honor and peace to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Greek:
Again, to be impartial in judgment, Paul has to include this option. If only the judgment option was mentioned, would God without the possibility that God would reward righteousness, would it be a statement of God's impartiality?

11 for there is no respect of persons with God.
Key Verse

12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without the law: and as many as have sinned under the law shall be judged by the law;
13 for not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified:
This passage is about the Jew and his judgment under the law. Notice verse 13 and the concept of "hearers of the law." Every sabbath, the Jew would read the Mosaic Law in the synagogue. They heard the reading of the Law and the Jew thought that because they had the Law, because they heard the Law, they were just before God. Paul tells the Jew that their future justification is based not upon the hearing of the Law, but their doing the Mosaic Law.
*** This cannot be a universal Law because of the concept of "hearing the Law" does not work with any concept of universal Law. Neither would it fit with the Jewish context. The "O man" is the Jewish person who judges the Gentile.

14 (for when Gentiles that have not the law do by nature the things of the law, these, not having the law, are the law unto themselves;
Notice the proof that the Law referred to in verse 13 is the Msoaic Law. It is specificly stated here that the "Gentiles that have not the law." If these verses were speaking of a universal Law, the Gentiles would be under that Law.

15 in that they show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness therewith, and their thoughts one with another accusing or else excusing them); Even Gentiles will honor their parents. Even Gentiles will know that Adultry is actually wrong. How do they know these things? We were created with conscience and the image of God. The image of God was marred in the fall, but not irradiated.
*** It is important to note that this text does not refer to the New Covenant. The New Covenant speaks of regeneration. That regeneration is not for the unregenerate. These verses are not teaching universal regeneration, but that there is a remnant of the image of God and conscience left in the Gentiles who practice certain things found in the Mosiac Law.

16 in the day when God shall judge the secrets of men, according to my gospel, by Jesus Christ.
Notice the concept of judgment again. Paul is writing about the impartial judgment of God all the way through this context. That is the point of the passage. It is especially targeting the Jew under the Mosaic Law. In fact the universal Law of God does not come into play in this context.

17 But if thou bearest the name of a Jew, and restest upon the law, and gloriest in God,
18 and knowest his will, and approvest the things that are excellent, being instructed out of the law,

Again, notice the Jewishness of the context and how it refers to the Mosaic Law. The Jew is mentioned by himself here. The Jew did not rest of the universal Law, but the Mosaic Law.

19 and art confident that thou thyself art a guide of the blind, a light of them that are in darkness,
20 a corrector of the foolish, a teacher of babes, having in the law the form of knowledge and of the truth;
21 thou therefore that teachest another, teachest thou not thyself? thou that preachest a man should not steal, dost thou steal?
22 thou that sayest a man should not commit adultery, dost thou commit adultery? thou that abhorrest idols, dost thou rob temples?
23 thou who gloriest in the law, through thy transgression of the law dishonorest thou God?
This is the final text I am going to include in this post. Again, just read the verses. The context begins with Paul accusing Mr. O Man of judging another for doing what he practices himself. As verse 21 says, Mr. O man is a teacher of the Gentiles who does not teach himself. Notice the 10 commandments here. This again is not the universal Law.

CONCLUSION
Take things back to verse 13. Verse 13 is not talking about a universal law as the basis of justification. It is talking about the Mosaic Law. To read the Chapter as speaking of God's impartial justice with reference to the Jew is consistent with all parts. To isolate certain verses like verse 7, 10, and 13, and then to make a case that it is a means of "future justification" on the basis of the works of a universal law of God does not consider the entire context.

I observe that few on these threads have the ability to go beyond a verse or 2 for a context. I challenge the reader to not merely consider verses 7, 10, and 13, but to consider how they fit in with the larger context of this chapter, and also the whole of Romans.

-----------
Your turn Drew, can you comment on each verse and demonstrate how they are connected to a whole context?

mondar said:
-----------
Your turn Drew, can you comment on each verse and demonstrate how they are connected to a whole context?
I assume that you are asking me to give my own interpretation of Romans 2, "verse by verse" and not critique your take. I assume that this is what you mean by a "positive exegesis". I am not sure it is worthwhile to do that - it is inevitable that I will need to say things like "Despite common belief, verses 6 and 7 are to be taken as they read".

Am I right?

Here is what I propose: I will address the chapter, verse by verse, expounding what I think it means and why, dealing with opposing positions as appropriate. However, to keep things from getting into a "Drew vs Mondar" bunfight, I will not "quote you" and disagree.

Post 1of a verse by verse treatment of Romans 2:

INTRODUCTORY NOTES ON CONTEXT:

Despite common reading to the contrary, covenantal themes are implicitly present here in Romans 2, as elswhere in Romans, not least Romans 1 to 4. Many approach Romans 2 as if it were simply part of a broader treatment of the universality of human sinfulness. Coming to the text with such a belief is part of the reason why many readers think it is legitimate to dismiss as purely hypothetical Paul's repeated statements about people being ultimately justified by what they do. However, we will see that there is every reason to take Paul at his word in respect to such statements. Another common problem is to not discern the spiral structure of the letter as whole. The fact of this spiral structure means that one cannot argue that "since Romans 2 is sandwiched between Romans 1, with its negative view of the human condition, and Romans 3, with its equally bleak view, Romans 2 cannot really be talking about people being actually justified by what they do". In keeping with the spiral structure, Paul introduces the truth of future justification by deeds here in Romans 2, and will return to it later, primarily in Romans 8.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back