Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Worried about my salvation- a long post

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

lynneth

Hi, this will probably be long so if you read this whole thing, thank you.
So, I'm worried about my salvation. I'll start with when I was 12 (I'm 21 now). I remember pretty much first hearing about Jesus and not just that there was a God. My family has always been very secular but I always knew there was a God. I remember that night when I was 12 feeling like as I like to say, "My ears being cleaned". But afterwards I had this deep sorrow and feeling of doom for a few weeks and didn't want to eat and all I wanted to do was sleep. I felt down because when I heard that there would be an end to the world I felt bad that I may never get to experience worldly things. Like kissing a boy, getting married, etc.. I don't think I repented or even knew what it was or that I needed to do that. My mom and I went to a little church for a little while and then stopped and I continued living a secular life. When I was 16 I had this fear again. A 'doom' kind of fear and decided to attend church with a friend and went to church camp that summer. I remember they talked about Jesus returning and I had that fear again and wondered why I was the only one who felt scared about it instead of happy. We all repented and I thought 'ok I'm ready'. Or at least I made myself think that. After that, I only went to church one more time and continued to live a secular 'typical' teenage life. (Drinking, smoking, premarital sex). When I was 18 I moved in with who is now my fiance. After a while I started to worry about the way I was living and we stopped having sex and I stopped smoking and drinking. After a while however, I starting drinking wine because I thought it was more biblical than smoking pot and then I started doing that too and then I started doing pretty much whatever I felt like. So about a month ago, I saw a post about the May 21st profecy and it really scared me. I felt like I was getting that doomed fear again so my boyfriend and I went over the bible and he reassured me ( like he has done before) that there needed to be an anti-christ. He also told me that if we went through the end times, as long as I didn't have the demonic number on my body I'd be able to go to heaven.(I've spent a good deal of my life thinking that the end times would be some demon asking me if I want to put the number on my body, and if I said no he'd kill me or gouge out me eyes or something. But as long as I didn't agree to it I'd be fine.) So that night, I still didn't feel reassured so I called a friend of mine who goes to a Christian college and he said I need to be baptized, fix my living situation with my boyfriend, and that I should depart from my homosexual friends. I was so scared that something was going to happen between the hours of that phone call and when I called the next morning to be baptized. So I went to the Church and the pastor told me all I needed to do was believe, repent and be baptized. I did that and then I went home thinking I would feel relieved. I wasn't. I couldn't go to sleep and then sometimes, as soon as I would fall asleep I would jerk up. There was one day where I felt so uneasy. I had tremendous fear and didn't know if I had done it all right. I would call my pastor at different times of the day with fear and uncertainty. He would always say "You're fine". Then I started watching Francis Chan's videos on youtube and I thought 'so that's what it is. I need to do more to really live a christian life and help others and be crazy about it'. But I didn't feel the want to do it and I would make myself do stuff. I was confused and then I started watching John Piper and I heard him talk about having joy and glorifying God. So I started to pray to God to give me that joy and fill me with the Holy Spirit. I kept listening to John Piper and one night I heard him talk about the story of Esue and how he waited to repent and then when he wanted the blessing he didn't get it because he waited too long. So I thought it meant God won't forgive me because I sinned too badly and he doesn't want me. I was so scared and thought I was doomed. So I actually went to a church in another town the next day because i was out of town and talked to a youth pastor who gave me a 'salvation study guide' and I was going through it and going through the bible verses I would read more than just what I was given to study and came upon Hebrews where it says 'Refusing God' and it talked about Esue. I was scared so I actually called John Piper's church and talked to a counselor who lead me through scripture and assured me I was not past being forgiven pretty much and to keep my eyes on God. So a couple of days ago I was reading John Piper again on his website and it was talking about the unpardonable sin and how do you know that your repentance is real. He said the unpardonable sin is a sin where you are past repenting and that Esue was past repenting. He could not have a change of heart because I think his heart was so hard. It's not anything in particular. As long as you can feel guilty about what you've done and believe Christ can forgive you you're not in that state. So, for a moment I felt ok because I do feel guilty for my sins but here's the thing... I guess I just keep doubting myself and my reasons. As soon as I feel guilty I think 'you're just making yourself feel that way'. He talks about how people think they are saved by works and not God's grace. And that baptism cannot save you. I'm afraid the church I go to teaches that. Because often they'll say 'If you want to have God in your life come up and be baptized" or something like that. I feel like my world is being turned upside down. I always thought I was a christian. I always told people that, even when I was sinning. I thought God 'had my back'. Now I look back on my sins and when I was always afraid of the end of the world. I'm afriad I can't repent. I'm living with my sister right now, which is not easy because they are not Christians and I know I am giving Christians a bad name because all i do is read john piper in the computer room and the ipod and i haven't really socialized with them in the past couple of days. Today my sister said I needed to maybe go to a home and get help or be put on meds. She said I'm not acting normal. I do have ocd and I think maybe that's why I can't seem to feel real repentance because I am constantly doubting myself. I feel very selfish right now because all I'm doing is reading and reading and trying to wrap my mind around Christianity and trying to have hope that I can be ok. Every time I feel hungry or do something that isn't reading up on it I feel like 'you're giving into yourself' 'you're wasting time!' and that I may not be that sincere. At night I don't fall asleep until I'm absolutely tired and I've started jerking back awake again. I keep thinking that Jesus could come at any moment or that I could die at any time. I just want to be able to know I'm saved, glorify God, and help others be saved. i feel like I've given a bad name to the faith with my constant fear. Does anyone have any postive things to say? Will you pray for me? I have no idea what to do. I'm supposed to get a job, get married, and go to school soon. How do you do that when you are concerned about your salvation?

So, I'm worried about my salvation. I'll start with when I was 12 (I'm 21 now). I remember pretty much first hearing about Jesus and not just that there was a God. My family has always been very secular but I always knew there was a God. I remember that night when I was 12 feeling like as I like to say, "My ears being cleaned". But afterwards I had this deep sorrow and feeling of doom for a few weeks and didn't want to eat and all I wanted to do was sleep. I felt down because when I heard that there would be an end to the world I felt bad that I may never get to experience worldly things. Like kissing a boy, getting married, etc.. I don't think I repented or even knew what it was or that I needed to do that. My mom and I went to a little church for a little while and then stopped and I continued living a secular life. When I was 16 I had this fear again. A 'doom' kind of fear and decided to attend church with a friend and went to church camp that summer. I remember they talked about Jesus returning and I had that fear again and wondered why I was the only one who felt scared about it instead of happy. We all repented and I thought 'ok I'm ready'. Or at least I made myself think that. After that, I only went to church one more time and continued to live a secular 'typical' teenage life. (Drinking, smoking, premarital sex). When I was 18 I moved in with who is now my fiance. After a while I started to worry about the way I was living and we stopped having sex and I stopped smoking and drinking. After a while however, I starting drinking wine because I thought it was more biblical than smoking pot and then I started doing that too and then I started doing pretty much whatever I felt like. So about a month ago, I saw a post about the May 21st profecy and it really scared me. I felt like I was getting that doomed fear again so my boyfriend and I went over the bible and he reassured me ( like he has done before) that there needed to be an anti-christ. He also told me that if we went through the end times, as long as I didn't have the demonic number on my body I'd be able to go to heaven.(I've spent a good deal of my life thinking that the end times would be some demon asking me if I want to put the number on my body, and if I said no he'd kill me or gouge out me eyes or something. But as long as I didn't agree to it I'd be fine.) So that night, I still didn't feel reassured so I called a friend of mine who goes to a Christian college and he said I need to be baptized, fix my living situation with my boyfriend, and that I should depart from my homosexual friends. I was so scared that something was going to happen between the hours of that phone call and when I called the next morning to be baptized. So I went to the Church and the pastor told me all I needed to do was believe, repent and be baptized. I did that and then I went home thinking I would feel relieved. I wasn't. I couldn't go to sleep and then sometimes, as soon as I would fall asleep I would jerk up. There was one day where I felt so uneasy. I had tremendous fear and didn't know if I had done it all right. I would call my pastor at different times of the day with fear and uncertainty. He would always say "You're fine". Then I started watching Francis Chan's videos on youtube and I thought 'so that's what it is. I need to do more to really live a christian life and help others and be crazy about it'. But I didn't feel the want to do it and I would make myself do stuff. I was confused and then I started watching John Piper and I heard him talk about having joy and glorifying God. So I started to pray to God to give me that joy and fill me with the Holy Spirit. I kept listening to John Piper and one night I heard him talk about the story of Esue and how he waited to repent and then when he wanted the blessing he didn't get it because he waited too long. So I thought it meant God won't forgive me because I sinned too badly and he doesn't want me. I was so scared and thought I was doomed. So I actually went to a church in another town the next day because i was out of town and talked to a youth pastor who gave me a 'salvation study guide' and I was going through it and going through the bible verses I would read more than just what I was given to study and came upon Hebrews where it says 'Refusing God' and it talked about Esue. I was scared so I actually called John Piper's church and talked to a counselor who lead me through scripture and assured me I was not past being forgiven pretty much and to keep my eyes on God. So a couple of days ago I was reading John Piper again on his website and it was talking about the unpardonable sin and how do you know that your repentance is real. He said the unpardonable sin is a sin where you are past repenting and that Esue was past repenting. He could not have a change of heart because I think his heart was so hard. It's not anything in particular. As long as you can feel guilty about what you've done and believe Christ can forgive you you're not in that state. So, for a moment I felt ok because I do feel guilty for my sins but here's the thing... I guess I just keep doubting myself and my reasons. As soon as I feel guilty I think 'you're just making yourself feel that way'. He talks about how people think they are saved by works and not God's grace. And that baptism cannot save you. I'm afraid the church I go to teaches that. Because often they'll say 'If you want to have God in your life come up and be baptized" or something like that. I feel like my world is being turned upside down. I always thought I was a christian. I always told people that, even when I was sinning. I thought God 'had my back'. Now I look back on my sins and when I was always afraid of the end of the world. I'm afriad I can't repent. I'm living with my sister right now, which is not easy because they are not Christians and I know I am giving Christians a bad name because all i do is read john piper in the computer room and the ipod and i haven't really socialized with them in the past couple of days. Today my sister said I needed to maybe go to a home and get help or be put on meds. She said I'm not acting normal. I do have ocd and I think maybe that's why I can't seem to feel real repentance because I am constantly doubting myself. I feel very selfish right now because all I'm doing is reading and reading and trying to wrap my mind around Christianity and trying to have hope that I can be ok. Every time I feel hungry or do something that isn't reading up on it I feel like 'you're giving into yourself' 'you're wasting time!' and that I may not be that sincere. At night I don't fall asleep until I'm absolutely tired and I've started jerking back awake again. I keep thinking that Jesus could come at any moment or that I could die at any time. I just want to be able to know I'm saved, glorify God, and help others be saved. i feel like I've given a bad name to the faith with my constant fear. Does anyone have any postive things to say? Will you pray for me? I have no idea what to do. I'm supposed to get a job, get married, and go to school soon. How do you do that when you are concerned about your salvation?
As I read through your post I found an underlying theme that seemed to keep jumping out at me. WORKS....works....works....works...

What you seem to be lacking is and understanding that you can already be saved by the blood of Jesus. Don't concentrate so much on the works that you forget why you do them. You need assurance and confidence that God loves you and has sent His son to pay the atonement and suffer the punishment for your sins on your behalf. Concentrate on the salvation that comes by the grace of God and not so much on the consequences of not living up to His standard. You'll beat yourself up trying to meet His standard because His standard is perfection and nobody, save for Jesus Christ, can meet that standard because we have already failed before we start trying. This is why we need Jesus Christ. This is why He laid down His life. He loves YOU and has died for YOU. Focus your eyes upon Jesus and His love.

One of my favorite sections of the gospel when I feel troubled is the sermon on the mount found in Matthew 5-7. To enhance my reading of this section I like to use a red letter Bible. That is one where the quotes of Jesus are printed in red so you know for certain which are His words. I find His words to be very comforting no matter what is troubling me. As you read this section you'll find where He tells us not to worry about tomorrow. God is in control.

As I read through your post I found an underlying theme that seemed to keep jumping out at me. WORKS....works....works....works...

What you seem to be lacking is and understanding that you can already be saved by the blood of Jesus. Don't concentrate so much on the works that you forget why you do them. You need assurance and confidence that God loves you and has sent His son to pay the atonement and suffer the punishment for your sins on your behalf. Concentrate on the salvation that comes by the grace of God and not so much on the consequences of not living up to His standard. You'll beat yourself up trying to meet His standard because His standard is perfection and nobody, save for Jesus Christ, can meet that standard because we have already failed before we start trying. This is why we need Jesus Christ. This is why He laid down His life. He loves YOU and has died for YOU. Focus your eyes upon Jesus and His love.

One of my favorite sections of the gospel when I feel troubled is the sermon on the mount found in Matthew 5-7. To enhance my reading of this section I like to use a red letter Bible. That is one where the quotes of Jesus are printed in red so you know for certain which are His words. I find His words to be very comforting no matter what is troubling me. As you read this section you'll find where He tells us not to worry about tomorrow. God is in control.

I guess I'm just not sure I'm saved. I was reading about assurance and if you can look to the cross and feel secure and if you find joy in HIM and more so than in other things you're saved. But I realized that I don't find joy in him and I was trying to find pleasure in everything else. I feel like I always said I believed in him simply because I didn't want to go to hell and now I'm trying to wrap my mind around his love. He can forgive any sinner no matter how bad their sins but only in you feel sorry for your sins. I guess I can't get it out of my head the fact that you can go to hell if you don't believe. I wonder if my doubting and fear is keeping me from feeling sincere about my sins. I am tearing them apart and really examining what I did in the past and why it's wrong. I read Romans and I'm afraid maybe I was meant to not believe. The clay can not ask the potter why it made them the way it made them. And you cannot be saved by desire or want. It's by God's grace which I'm not sure I ever had. I keep thinking maybe because when I was 12 I felt a worldly sorrow when I heard about Jesus and didn't understand what I was supposed to do. So I 'waited' to repent and couldn't get over the fact that my family could go to hell. And then after that I thought that because I understood and 'believed' in Jesus I was ok. But then I would still sin because I truly didn't understand God's love. I feel so idiotic. But I know God is sovereign. Sometimes I think 'if I'm meant to go to hell why can't just have a false reassurance that i'm saved'. I don't know what to do now. I feel like I can't go to church or help others because if you are unsure about yourself, than how can you help others?

Lynneth -

Welcome to the community. Thank you for taking the time to register and then post your transparent thoughts. Welcome.

Without knowing the story behind the story, The first thing I heard was a woman with Jesus on her mind. Regardless, He is on her mind. Her thoughts are on Him.

That's a good thing. Having Jesus in one's thoughts.

The second thing I heard was passion. An earnest desire to be/stay connected with God. This too is good! We all need this.

Keeping Jesus on our minds and an earnest desire to be connected, in contact. How can one go wrong with that as the starting block, as something to build on?

Yet, for whatever reason (perhaps a story behind the story), it seems to be lagging.

If I were to add my two cents to the thread I would say, "Why not ask the Lord to make a change with you, in you, and through you?"

Instead of being passionate based on fear, condemnation, etc. Why not ask Him to make it love? His love?! His love for you, your love for Him.

If we have to admit to an obsessive compulsive disorder, why can't it be God's love?!

To often we ask the Lord to free us from something and forget to seek Him freeing us to something. Sort of like, leave and cleave.

You've got a good foundation to build upon. Perhaps having a (fine) tune-up every now and then is good for us all.

Be blessed, Stay blessed, and be Bold!

I'm pretty sure I'm at rock bottom. By boyfriend just came over and I told him I don't think we can be together because if we're supposed to get married then we have to have kids and I don't want to get in the way of anyone's salvation. I'm thinking about seeing if I can be put in a mental home. My boyfriend started crying really bad and he was really upset so I told him to give me a month. Maybe God will answer my prayers. I'm supposed to get a job but all I can do is think that I might be going to hell because I may not be saved. Why am I telling you this? Probably because I'm full of pride. All I think about is myself. I'm so selfish. I was watching John Piper talk about grace and as long as youre breathing that is God's grace giving you time to come to him. What do you do when have so much fear that it can't break free to see God's love? I'm so afraid I can't repent. I'm so afraid I wasted my days hardening my heart. And now, if I did what am I supposed to do? I was reading that it says the unpardonable sin is where you are past the point of going to God and repenting. I don't know if my ocd is blocking my mind. I've had trouble with doubts. I don't know what to do.

I think you are a victim of the modern gospel psychosis! Christianity is not about getting saved, it's about falling in love with Jesus Christ and walking in His new life that is from heaven.

If you wish to have assurance of a future eternal life...live in the eternal life today...and then abide in this always! THEn you will be sure to inherit life and blessing forever.

Don't believe in quick fixes or short-cuts. You must die to your present life. Surrender all to Christ! Seek the Lord!

At 21 you may have sinned a lot...but you're not 61 or even 81 yet. And God can forgive everything even at that age. Rather, than worry for yourself, ley yourself get lost in Jesus and His kingdom. Surrender to HIS love! Put HIM first in ALL things!

If you seek to save your life...you will lose it.

But if you live in Christ, you will save it.

The opposite of love is fear!!!!

Perfect love casts out all fear!

Peace in Christ to you!:)

John

<meta http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><title></title><meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 2.0 (Linux)"><meta name="CREATED" content="20110608;17060500"><meta name="CHANGED" content="20110608;18064800"> <style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } H1 { margin-bottom: 0.08in } H1.western { font-family: "DejaVu Sans Condensed", serif } H1.cjk { font-family: "DejaVu Sans Condensed" } H1.ctl { font-family: "DejaVu Sans Condensed" } --></style>A Salvation Message

youtube.com/watch?v=eUVKUHNY5Mg&feature=share

What must you do to be saved? Find out in this video!

Do you belive that Jesus is God's Son? Do you believe that he was persecuted for your sake died and was buried and rose again on the third day? Did youtell him you were sorry for your sin and ask him for forgiveness? Did you ask him to save you. Did you ask him to fill you with the Holy Spirit? If you did you are saved. Don't let anyone tell you that you are barely goin g to heaven. Jesus said " though your sins be as scarlet they would become white as snow". In the new testment there are many refereces to God forgeting your sin and remembering it no more. No one will ever put sin back on you that God has already forgiven. You don't have to spend your life afraid that you wil;l lose your salvation over a mistake. Ask forgivness if you mess up. No person is able to not sin. Have you considered listening to a different preacher and comparing their message. Maybe someone else would help you and you could come back to the man who makes you worry when you have listened to a few other teachers.

I think you are a victim of the modern gospel psychosis! Christianity is not about getting saved, it's about falling in love with Jesus Christ and walking in His new life that is from heaven.

Interesting way of putting it. Jesus said it this way:

On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,†he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?â€

“What is written in the Law?†he replied. “How do you read it?â€

He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’â€
“You have answered correctly,†Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.â€

and:

Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back