Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] Writing a New Story and Leaning Heavily on Autobiographical Experience

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Since my first book is showing to be a flop thus far sales-wise, I will write my next story as a fictionalized autobiography. I warned my wife that this will not be a pleasant story. I will change names, places, events and circumstances to protect the innocent/guilty. Some people have their own horror stories and I intend to protect their privacy as I feel everyone is entitled to tell their own story when THEY are ready (speaking of my wife, especially). Please pray the Lord directs my words.

Since my first book is showing to be a flop thus far sales-wise, I will write my next story as a fictionalized autobiography. I warned my wife that this will not be a pleasant story. I will change names, places, events and circumstances to protect the innocent/guilty. Some people have their own horror stories and I intend to protect their privacy as I feel everyone is entitled to tell their own story when THEY are ready (speaking of my wife, especially). Please pray the Lord directs my words.
How will you publish?

daninthelionsden I did like your first book, even though it was a little confusing at first, but each branch showed me a little something of my own self climbing my tree of life. Praying for the success for your second book.
I had so much trouble writing chapter one as I had never written a book before. I rewrote it a few times then decided I wanted the book to be a little vague so as to encourage discussion among fellow readers(book clubs) as well as discussion between readers and non-readers(kids/parents...friends...etc). Lacking funds for advertising, I was trying for the "word of mouth" approach. Most of all...I am a story teller and not a polished writer....obviously. I am truly glad you enjoyed it. Thank you much and many times for reading.

sometimes, (semi) autobiographical is where it's at, I think. Lots of intense life experiences? Write it out! Cheaper than talk therapy, far more effective (personal opinion). :)

I'm not any sort of expert on the world of publishing, but people I know of (friends of friends, that kind of thing) did OK with various forms of self-publishing. I don't know the ins and outs of all that, of course. I think one woman formed an LLC and self-published through that, for 1 or 2 books...did OK, I think.

Please, please, please keep us all posted. Not to hijack your thread, but I find that I'm at a point in my "recovery" (mental health buzzword: what does "recovery" -mean- ?) in which my writing abilities are vastly improved, but I'm not so sure I'm gung ho about fiction. So, so much fiction seems to be focused on the upper classes and their affluenza problems, not so much on anyone else.

ok. Praying for you and your family. :)

Well, I'm halfway through the first chapter and am actually impressed with how it's going. In my first book, I had to rely on so many flashbacks to backfill the story. Very difficult. This story is being presented in a lot more straightforward chronological order. This makes it easier on me. I am limiting dialogue to very little to none. So far there is none. I want 100k words this time and/or 50 chapters. A full-sized novel. I will be taking on the freemasons directly and the Episcopal Church very nearly directly. I am fictionalizing to a lesser/greater extent all else. Public figures will be taken on directly(government). Please pray the Lord guides my words.

Well, I have finished my first chapter of my new book and am into the second chapter. My publisher of my first book has apparently decided not to post my quarterly sales/earnings report even after contacting them. I certainly feel every effort I make to get off disability is being thwarted so I might as well write my auto-biographical based novel.
We have vaguely been offered a chance to participate in a family run business. We will jump at the chance if the offer is real. Please pray the Lord guides our thoughts/ words/deeds.

so many factors combine to keep people on disability. I vaguely remember reading the stats...--not good-- , especially with psych labels. That's not to discourage you, as an individual; its just yet another attempt from me to do the whole "personal is political" thing, by putting an individual's experience in the broader perspective.

I never -quite- realized how hateful so many in the US (especially my ruby red corner of Bible Belt, USA) are towards people on disability...

until fairly recently. "take him off his welfare!" "get him evicted from his apartment!" "have his car repossessed!" "if he can't work, put him in the state hospital!" "put him in a group home!," etc. etc. etc. and...like a lot of psych labeled people receiving disability (I'm beginning to suspect, anyway), I have come to realize...

there wasn't much potential for self-sufficiency to begin with. my own experience is somewhat unique, largely because of my upwardly mobile parents' ongoing support and their relatively recent arrival at well to do/lower rungs of upper class status, but...

again: "the personal is political." what's happened in my situation overlaps somewhat with your situation, which overlaps with...on and on it goes.

sorry to ramble. i hope it goes well for you. :)

so many factors combine to keep people on disability. I vaguely remember reading the stats...--not good-- , especially with psych labels. That's not to discourage you, as an individual; its just yet another attempt from me to do the whole "personal is political" thing, by putting an individual's experience in the broader perspective.

I never -quite- realized how hateful so many in the US (especially my ruby red corner of Bible Belt, USA) are towards people on disability...

until fairly recently. "take him off his welfare!" "get him evicted from his apartment!" "have his car repossessed!" "if he can't work, put him in the state hospital!" "put him in a group home!," etc. etc. etc. and...like a lot of psych labeled people receiving disability (I'm beginning to suspect, anyway), I have come to realize...

there wasn't much potential for self-sufficiency to begin with. my own experience is somewhat unique, largely because of my upwardly mobile parents' ongoing support and their relatively recent arrival at well to do/lower rungs of upper class status, but...

again: "the personal is political." what's happened in my situation overlaps somewhat with your situation, which overlaps with...on and on it goes.

sorry to ramble. i hope it goes well for you. :)
I had things dne to me in the hospital which were scary while I was in for COVID. One night my oxygen was turned off. There was no one stationed at the monitoring post. I woke up just as it was turned off. I pressed the call button, but no response. I texted my wife. She immediately called the nurse's station. No answer. I pushed the call button again. No response. My wife finally got an answer at the nurse station. She claimed she was in the room and all was fine. There was no one in the room and certainly no one on a phone. Finally, a male nurse comes in and turns the oxygen back on. They lied to my wife.

I had things dne to me in the hospital which were scary while I was in for COVID. One night my oxygen was turned off. There was no one stationed at the monitoring post. I woke up just as it was turned off. I pressed the call button, but no response. I texted my wife. She immediately called the nurse's station. No answer. I pushed the call button again. No response. My wife finally got an answer at the nurse station. She claimed she was in the room and all was fine. There was no one in the room and certainly no one on a phone. Finally, a male nurse comes in and turns the oxygen back on. They lied to my wife.
God so loved the world that he sent his Son that we might have life.
VS
The evil one comes to steal, kill and destroy.

The quickening spirit that Jesus became seeks to enter us and preserve us.
VS
The destruction from the evil one. As a Mississippi redneck I have trouble defining this spirit of disobedience.

God open the eyes of our understanding.

Romans 8:11 kjv
11. But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

Have I got that all together? No. The very statement says basically the spirit has it together.

eddif

medical care, in general, seems to be affected by one's social standing...even with coverage. A friend had excellent coverage. She and her husband were...I dunno...blue collar, but middle class in terms of resources (I think?). so...

basically, when he got cancer, the treatment providers saw excellent coverage and an older couple of modest means and...he ended up butchered (sorry, no other way to put it) with unnecessary stuff happening, and the coverage kept paying out and paying out...

and he still ended up dying, although thankfully, that happened at home with the help of a hospice program. :-(

Update. It sure looks like we caught our publisher with about a 200 count discrepancy on our books. They were shocked we knew and wanted to know how we knew. They kept asking the same questions over and over while playing hide, lie and deny.

Back