Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Writing in Bible

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

ElainaMor

Hi everyone. I am getting a calfskin Bible from the Trinitarian Bible Society and I want to make sure I take good care if it. I like to highlight, underline and write in my Bibles so I'm wondering what the best tools for the job are. I usually use a mechanical pencil and gel highlighter but not sure if those are the best. I use pencil cause I'm afraid of making mistakes. Also, I think I read somewhere once that pencil is actually bad for Bible paper. What do you suggest I use?

Hi everyone. I am getting a calfskin Bible from the Trinitarian Bible Society and I want to make sure I take good care if it. I like to highlight, underline and write in my Bibles so I'm wondering what the best tools for the job are. I usually use a mechanical pencil and gel highlighter but not sure if those are the best. I use pencil cause I'm afraid of making mistakes. Also, I think I read somewhere once that pencil is actually bad for Bible paper. What do you suggest I use?
@ElainaMor :

The thin tipped pens (I forget what they are called) do a more economical use of space.

Also a pencil, if erased, needs pressure applied on the Bible paper by an eraser; this is another consideration.

There was a booklet published once (I forget who put it out) called 'How to mark your Bible'.

Blessings.

I am getting a calfskin Bible from the Trinitarian Bible Society

I suggest you ask the people you are buying it from. They should know the composition of the paper, etc. They may have answered this question before and you may even to able to buy what you need through them.

What a great question/idea for a thread! I mostly use pencil and a stiff paper which serves a a combination bookmark/straightedge for underlining, and as a device for reading while I use the paper to skim down as I read to not use my place if I am distracted for a moment.

A quick google search brought this up;

http://www.biblestudy.org/basicart/mark-your-bible-for-effective-studies.html
@Edward :

Sounds like a good idea.

What I think needs to be remembered also is that if the person is young, and managed to write in tiny letters, then if as I now am, somewhat older and with my sight not as sharp as it once was, things written by hand in tiny writing can be harder to follow, years hence. I use a nice big print Bible to read these days, not because it's all I can read but because it does make it easier on the eyes.

Blessings.

I use a nice big print Bible to read these days, not because it's all I can read but because it does make it easier on the eyes.

:) Me too, plus bigger print bibles are usually bigger overall leaving more margin space to write in, lol.
[MENTION=90700]Edward[/MENTION]: Margin size is definitely a significant aspect also, yes.

Blessings.

Something dad did I found to be a great help (down the road a few years when ya forget the why's of what ya underlined) He had different colours for different thoughts/topics.

Something dad did I found to be a great help (down the road a few years when ya forget the why's of what ya underlined) He had different colours for different thoughts/topics.
@reba :

I've heard of people doing this, yes. Some Bible editions even have the paper marked in different colors, depending on whether the book and section is prophetic, wisdom poetry, gospels, epistles, etc.

(At times this might just be a bit over-interpretive, of course.)

Blessings.

I thought about that, but kind of shy away from highlighters for my bible. I'm not sure what they'd do to a bible over time when the highlighter ink gets old and deteriorates?
[MENTION=90700]Edward[/MENTION]:

I was watching a video from iVillage about inks. Obviously with color there is more of the propensity to fade, than if one sticks to strong, dark, contrasting colors such as black or dark blue.

Blessings.

I thought about that, but kind of shy away from highlighters for my bible. I'm not sure what they'd do to a bible over time when the highlighter ink gets old and deteriorates?

I have one of Dad's old Bibles ( [MENTION=41474]farouk[/MENTION] a scofield :) ) mom gave him in 1969 I got it in 1972 dad wore them out in just a few years....he used extra fine point pins... the markings he used are still there, the pages have yellowed and fall out the scotch tape really yellowed. It is frayed, split, the 'gold' on the page edges is gone ... I got it out just now and a piece of a page about 2 square inches fell out :) this Bible is my most treasured memory of Dad.... because he marked it up , used it up , and handed it down :) so much better than collecting dust....

I have one of Dad's old Bibles ( [MENTION=41474]farouk[/MENTION] a scofield :) ) mom gave him in 1969 I got it in 1972 dad wore them out in just a few years....he used extra fine point pins... the markings he used are still there, the pages have yellowed and fall out the scotch tape really yellowed. It is frayed, split, the 'gold' on the page edges is gone ... I got it out just now and a piece of a page about 2 square inches fell out :) this Bible is my most treasured memory of Dad.... because he marked it up , used it up , and handed it down :) so much better than collecting dust....
[MENTION=47381]reba[/MENTION]:

Yes I do generally appreciate the dispensational scheme of Scofield, Darby and others. I've known of other families too for whom a parent's well marked Bible was a treasured possession. Kind of indicative of much time spent in the sanctuary, in Scripture meditation and prayer, and even today we may be benefiting from the prayers and Scripture convictions of those we knew (and even didn't know) in past generations.

Sometimes faded margins resemble nicotine stains (and in some cases might even be nicotine stains...)

Blessings.

...pulling out my old bible that was given to me back in 1979 and looking at how the various markers that I've used over the years has affected the paper....

Looks like #2 pencil has held up well over the years. I even have one note that I dated, April 21st, 1981 that is still clearly legible and there is no damage to the paper at all. (The paper is that typical super thin "bible" paper.)

Most of my ink markings are fine, but some have bled through to the other side.

I also used to use some plain old Crayola crayons to mark some passages. I used a light hand, just enough to highlight the passage without pressing too hard. Those have held up extremely well with no bleeding either. I liked using the different colors for the reasons Reba and farouk have shared...

[MENTION=41474]farouk[/MENTION] good point regarding the bible editions that are "pre-marked" being somewhat over interpreted.

What did cause bleeding were the professionally marketed "highlighters". I sort of wished I hadn't used any of them, because they have bled through to the other side. Not a big problem, but still...

So, from a 34 year old Bible... I would have to say pencil and crayon have held up the best. I do recommend Crayola brand....for the same reason so many teacher's request Crayola brand for classroom projects. They are somewhat more expensive, but that is because they use higher quality colors and waxes... a big consideration when using them to highlight one's bible.

Yes I do generally appreciate the dispensational scheme of Scofield, Darby and others. I've known of other families too for whom a parent's well marked Bible was a treasured possession. Kind of indicative of much time spent in the sanctuary, in Scripture meditation and prayer, and even today we may be benefiting from the prayers and Scripture convictions of those we knew (and even didn't know) in past generations.

Sometimes faded margins resemble nicotine stains (and in some cases might even be nicotine stains...)

Blessings.

My husband inherited his brother's bible when his brother passed away. I never knew Bruce in life, but I do so enjoy reading through his bible and seeing the passages he highlighted and some of the notations he made... it's one way to truly get to know this person who was so important to my husband...

Reba, you might consider getting your dad's bible rebound. My 34 year old bible was falling apart too... Romans had a big section that was out as well as large portions of Genesis and Exodus. Steve had it rebound for me for my birthday one year. One of my best birthday presents ever! I do have other bibles, but this one is my favorite.... I am so familiar with it, I usually don't even have to think of the reference of what I'm looking for, I can just remember where it is. (Which might not be all that great of a thing... I really should remember the references. :chin )

Blessings.

My husband inherited his brother's bible when his brother passed away. I never knew Bruce in life, but I do so enjoy reading through his bible and seeing the passages he highlighted and some of the notations he made... it's one way to truly get to know this person who was so important to my husband...

Reba, you might consider getting your dad's bible rebound. My 34 year old bible was falling apart too... Romans had a big section that was out as well as large portions of Genesis and Exodus. Steve had it rebound for me for my birthday one year. One of my best birthday presents ever! I do have other bibles, but this one is my favorite.... I am so familiar with it, I usually don't even have to think of the reference of what I'm looking for, I can just remember where it is. (Which might not be all that great of a thing... I really should remember the references. :chin )
[MENTION=4376]handy[/MENTION]:

Yes, rebinding marked Bibles that are former property of family members can be a great idea.

Of course, sometimes a quality rebinding can cost more than the cost of replacing the Bible. But then if the sentimental value of the old copy exceeds the market value, then certainly it makes it eminently worthwhile.

Sometimes the marginal markings can be of constructive value themselves, as commentary on the passages.

Blessings.

does a jewish tanach count? I often have wonder if the tanach I have is the same one that my dad, uncle and aunt used to get ready for their bar and bat mitzvah's

...pulling out my old bible that was given to me back in 1979 and looking at how the various markers that I've used over the years has affected the paper....

Looks like #2 pencil has held up well over the years. I even have one note that I dated, April 21st, 1981 that is still clearly legible and there is no damage to the paper at all. (The paper is that typical super thin "bible" paper.)

Most of my ink markings are fine, but some have bled through to the other side.

I also used to use some plain old Crayola crayons to mark some passages. I used a light hand, just enough to highlight the passage without pressing too hard. Those have held up extremely well with no bleeding either. I liked using the different colors for the reasons Reba and farouk have shared...

[MENTION=41474]farouk[/MENTION] good point regarding the bible editions that are "pre-marked" being somewhat over interpreted.

What did cause bleeding were the professionally marketed "highlighters". I sort of wished I hadn't used any of them, because they have bled through to the other side. Not a big problem, but still...

So, from a 34 year old Bible... I would have to say pencil and crayon have held up the best. I do recommend Crayola brand....for the same reason so many teacher's request Crayola brand for classroom projects. They are somewhat more expensive, but that is because they use higher quality colors and waxes... a big consideration when using them to highlight one's bible.
[MENTION=4376]handy[/MENTION]:

Fading depends a lot, of course, on whether the Bible is used a lot, and what the light intensity is.

In other fields, too, inks have improved a lot in recent years.

Blessings.

For those who use different colors to color code what is your color coding system? I never considered using different colors for underlining/highlighting before.

For those who use different colors to color code what is your color coding system? I never considered using different colors for underlining/highlighting before.

ElainaMor:

I can't remember what the colors all were of the Bible edition with different colors for sections of the Bible, but what does need to be remembered is first of all, whatever colors are used, that consistency is important (and until the colors are well worked out beforehand, the chances of making a mistake with one of the marked colors is significant).

Then, again, there is a matter of it being a somewhat interpretive exercise anyway. For example, some books are both historical and part of the section known as the law; some Psalms are more overtly Messianic than others, etc.

But if it all gets the reader looking at Scripture carefully, then it will be a worthwhile exercise in any case.

Blessings.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back