Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Yesterday vs Today

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Do you mean instead of aborting?
Good point ... kinda both...
We have devalued human life.... we have taught pregnancy is something to be protected from...
Kids are sent to day care from a very early age... we tell or kids listen to the teachers they are there to help you...
Personal responsibility is not taught at any stage of life.

Kids are sent to day care from a very early age... we tell or kids listen to the teachers they are there to help you...
And that your hot 7th grade English teacher will throw a party at her house to help you work out your sexual frustrations that mean ol' religion says to stifle.

Get with it, Reba. It is against the law to teach that. Did you forget this is a free country? Freedom means freedom from responsibility. And, while we're on the subject, in the church grace means freedom from responsibility, too.

The drama teacher at the school our daughter attended smoked dope with the kids... Health class ? a portion of that was the advantages of oral sex ....

Good point ... kinda both...
We have devalued human life.... we have taught pregnancy is something to be protected from...
I tend to believe it's everyone else's fault. haha

Seriously, though, I do know what you mean. I was one who did not have supervision at home and if it was supervision, it was the wrong kind.

I think part of the problem is that adults really aren't adults anymore. I mean, I'm hardly 1 to talk...I'm 30 and living at home. Then again...I have some sort of mental affliction, lol.

But, seriously...I think sociologists call it "prolonged social adolescence." Read: people take longer to grow up, and that's assuming they do grow up at all. When I was in HS, there was this 1 math teacher, she said she taught HS because of the "energy" of the kids. Yeah, OK...she talked to kids about their sex lives and inappropriate stuff like that, showed up to games smashed, etc. Not a big deal, lol.

People get married later, live together with people, more people go to college and many continue on after college...

...not surprisingly, there's an increasingly blurry line between the grown ups and the young. I mean, the druggies I used to hang out with considered 25 *it*--dry out, get a job, do something. But...lots of people continue in what previous generatins would have considered immature, self-centered lifestyles well beyond the age of 25. I don't think its all psychological, either. I think a lot of it is rooted in the economy and overall cultural/social shifts.

Also, I think younger generations are self-obsessed because it pays off. We live in a culture that values having the right look, the right tastes, the right personality, and discourages actual connection and real emotions. People don't even have flings, they hook up. Before anybody condemns entire generations, I think it'd be best to look at the larger factors that shape our lives and ask: how is this behavior rooted in the larger socioeconomic/sociopolitical reality? "The personal is political."

What is it and why did it ruin people's lives?

Thanks.
Turn on (to drugs), tune in (to the hippie scene), drop out (of society).
People took it serious.
One day they found out they had nothing and were going no where.
For some, they felt it was too late to do anything about it.
You can imagine from there what kind of lives they had and still have.

Timothy Leary invented LSD.

Actually, LSD was invented in 1938 and Walt Disney was one of the earliest known users (Fantasia).
Timothy Leary had a commune of students in Cambridge Mass., made their own LSD for experimental purposes.

I think part of the problem is that adults really aren't adults anymore. I mean, I'm hardly 1 to talk...I'm 30 and living at home. Then again...I have some sort of mental affliction, lol.

But, seriously...I think sociologists call it "prolonged social adolescence." Read: people take longer to grow up, and that's assuming they do grow up at all. When I was in HS, there was this 1 math teacher, she said she taught HS because of the "energy" of the kids. Yeah, OK...she talked to kids about their sex lives and inappropriate stuff like that, showed up to games smashed, etc. Not a big deal, lol.

People get married later, live together with people, more people go to college and many continue on after college...

...not surprisingly, there's an increasingly blurry line between the grown ups and the young. I mean, the druggies I used to hang out with considered 25 *it*--dry out, get a job, do something. But...lots of people continue in what previous generatins would have considered immature, self-centered lifestyles well beyond the age of 25. I don't think its all psychological, either. I think a lot of it is rooted in the economy and overall cultural/social shifts.

Also, I think younger generations are self-obsessed because it pays off. We live in a culture that values having the right look, the right tastes, the right personality, and discourages actual connection and real emotions. People don't even have flings, they hook up. Before anybody condemns entire generations, I think it'd be best to look at the larger factors that shape our lives and ask: how is this behavior rooted in the larger socioeconomic/sociopolitical reality? "The personal is political."

I don't disagree that we live in a self-obsessed society, but I don't see this as specific to the younger generation. It seems with social media, people have become almost narcissistic, I used to be on Facebook and it was unbelievable at what people would write - like we care what they're doing every second of the day. lol

The self-obsessed falls over into parenthood because if parents are focused on themselves, it leaves their kids out of the loop and neglected.

Yet, when a person hits their teen years it really is up to them what kind of life they want to make, taking personal responsibility regardless of circumstances. Every generation probably had their issues, every kid has to deal with what their parents did to them, so it's just a cycle, never changing, maybe.

Turn on (to drugs), tune in (to the hippie scene), drop out (of society).
People took it serious.
One day they found out they had nothing and were going no where.
For some, they felt it was too late to do anything about it.
You can imagine from there what kind of lives they had and still have.
Ok, thanks. This must have been when it all began - the hippie scene.

It sounds like people had given up on society - I think that trend might be returning, idk.

Many people my age are really into discussing the slavery of society, many of us are ready for a revolution - armed and dangerous ready. It's different than the hippies because they were peacefully demonstrating.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back