Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Yoga and Christianity

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
aLoneVoice said:
Yoga in and of itself - is not a philosophy or a religion. Yoga, traditionally, has been used by Hindus to help them with meditation.
Believe however you like. You have impressed me so far.

Solo said:
Believe however you like. You have impressed me so far.

Not sure I understand what you mean by "you have impressed me so far".

aLoneVoice said:
Not sure I understand what you mean by "you have impressed me so far".
I know. Sometimes your understanding fails you, but hey none of us are perfect.

Solo said:
I know. Sometimes your understanding fails you, but hey none of us are perfect.

Yeah - espiecally when one has to put in long hours at work... Why not just be generous enough to explain what you meant? Is that too much to ask?

:-?

aLoneVoice said:
Yeah - espiecally when one has to put in long hours at work... Why not just be generous enough to explain what you meant? Is that too much to ask?

:-?
You will figure it out one day, if you haven't already, pardner. Have a great day at work. I am out of the work business, having retired at 49 with nothing to do but study the Word of God and correct folks like you when they err.

God bless you my friend.

Solo said:
You will figure it out one day, if you haven't already, pardner. Have a great day at work. I am out of the work business, having retired at 49 with nothing to do but study the Word of God and correct folks like you when they err.

I was sorry to read in your profile that you became medically disabled, but atleast you have more time to study the Word. I suppose I just do not have the arrogrance to believe that I have all the 'right answers'.

God bless you my friend.

And the same to you... blessings.

aLoneVoice said:
Solo said:
I was sorry to read in your profile that you became medically disabled, but atleast you have more time to study the Word. I suppose I just do not have the arrogrance to believe that I have all the 'right answers'.
Thanks for the sympathy.
You don't have all the 'right answers', but I am assisting you as best I can with the wisdom and understanding that God has given me liberally as promised. Hang around me for a while and you can be right more than you are wrong! :wink:

When I am wrong, I will let you know.

aLoneVoice said:
Solo said:
God bless you my friend.

And the same to you... blessings.
Many Roman Catholics close their posts with the sign off, "blessings". Are you or have you ever been a Roman Catholic?

Oh Solo - you keep trying and trying to figure me out and peg me one way or another.

But I will give you this one - No - not Roman Catholic, nor was I ever.

Shalom in Solidarity.

(I will give you another one, as a freebie - solidarity comes from my sympathy to the labour movement)

Opps - did I give another one way or not? Only u won't be able to figure it out.

Lets look at this from a silly view point.

lets imagine that some cultish practice was to jog around the block. Does that then mean they own that process, and it would be bad for Christians to do the same thing?

Don't let Satan claim things that don't belong to him. If you want to exercise then go for it.

Solo said:
Exactly, so I wonder who you are listening to when you describe Yoga as simply stretching and not a demonic practice.
Amen and AMEN!

2 Corinthians 11:14
And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

Satan is not going to come displaying things as evil. He will gently lull you into believing you are okay as he draws you down to hell. There is NO room to wiggle in this war. Believe me, I have tried.

ynnebulator said:
Lets look at this from a silly view point.

lets imagine that some cultish practice was to jog around the block. Does that then mean they own that process, and it would be bad for Christians to do the same thing?

Don't let Satan claim things that don't belong to him. If you want to exercise then go for it.
You evidently did not read the entire thread. Yoga is more than running around the block. Yoga is a philosophy/religious belief system.

http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/intro_00.html

You evidently did not read the entire thread. Yoga is more than running around the block. Yoga is a philosophy/religious belief system.

How do you feel about Christians practicing yoga? My objection has always been based on the fact that the sole purpose of these contortionist exercises is because most Yogis were trying to invoke spirits, offer their bodies to these spirits, or prepare there bodies/minds to engage in the worship of their "gods".. something obviously as a follower of christ im not really interested in doing.. however, can yoga be separated from its roots?? can someone engage in yoga without being involved in the religious aspects of it?

Actually I did read the thread. The question was asked if it was possible to do yoga without its spiritual aspect. Yoga without its spiritual aspect, is merely a group of body exercises. Quite similar to gymnastic excersizes. I still stand by my original statement. If it makes you feel better, you can call it gymnastics then.

ynnebulator said:
Actually I did read the thread. The question was asked if it was possible to do yoga without its spiritual aspect. Yoga without its spiritual aspect, is merely a group of body exercises. Quite similar to gymnastic excersizes. I still stand by my original statement. If it makes you feel better, you can call it gymnastics then.
If all you are doing is stretching without the meditating and vocalizing as yoga teaches then you are not doing yoga. If you are in the meditation and concentration portion as you perform the vocalization and stretches, then you are not doing gymnastics.

Solo said:
If all you are doing is stretching without the meditating and vocalizing as yoga teaches then you are not doing yoga.

You know Solo - we might have a winner here - I agree with you :-D

So - what shall we call it? And that goes to show that I believe one can divorce Yoga from the Hindu concept of meditation just as we have been able to divorce former pagan holidays from their pagan roots and now call them "Christian Holidays"

God is able to redeem!

aLoneVoice said:
Solo said:
If all you are doing is stretching without the meditating and vocalizing as yoga teaches then you are not doing yoga.

You know Solo - we might have a winner here - I agree with you :-D

That is a first. Mark it down in your calendar. We should declare some sort of day to celebrate! :-D

I've got it! One should not expect anything but a stretch out of these stretches!

It's like, if you go to the gym and take a yoga class and you think you might get some spiritual bond, or even think you might be getting some spiritual bond while practicing yoga, then that is the deception of Satan.

What people don't understand is that since it's even called yoga, and was developed for such a purpose, that people can be decieved, since they might notice something strange happen and think that whatever they heard was true, this being helped along by Satan, as I see it.

Meditation is the blocking out of all knowledge of who you are and your social status and the like, making you seem infinite. One might even think that he is one with the universe or whatever, because he has blocked out the knowledge of who he is, but he's still there.

One reason yoga is so hard to be discerned as evil is because the beliefs surrounding it are so... Vague, and for some reason, appealing. Truely, yoga and meditation have been used as tools of great deception. Perhaps the whole hindu religion was based on their effects. Avoid them, lest Satan plant some seed of deception in you. I know how it sounds, that last phrase, like foolishness, that something so bad could come of something so trival as doing a couple of stretches, but really, one should not expect any help or enlightenment from some stupid stretches, nothing but a good stretch, and maybe a workout from staying there so long.

ALL ENLIGHTENMENT IS FROM GOD, AND ENLIGHTENMENT IS BELIEVING IN JESUS

Back