Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is our answer in times of need.

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

26 Bible Verses to Reverse Parental Burnout

Focus on the Family

Focus on the Family
RSS Feed
Markus didn’t notice the toy football spiraling toward his head until it was almost too late. He tried to catch the red foam ball, but it fumbled from his hands and landed on the grass. His five-year-old son barreled into him, trying to tackle him, successful catch or not. As he lay in the grass, exhaustion from parental burnout washed over him, and he wasn’t sure he could get back up. “Come on, Dad! You promised we’d play football tonight.”

“Sorry, bud,” Markus spoke, ruffling his son’s hair and picking up the football. “I guess I’m a little tired tonight.” He threw the football to the other end of the yard, and his son raced after it. The truth was, Markus felt beyond exhausted. He fought parental burnout. Working two jobs to support his family while his wife cared for the kids was tiring. There was no rest. From the moment he walked in the door, everyone demanded his attention and affection. There were always tasks to be done and things to fix.

He wondered what the Bible had to say about exhaustion and parental burnout. Rather than focus on the symptoms of parental burnout, he wanted to lean into God’s Word for hope. He knew that the scriptures could sustain him. As his son threw the red football back to him, Markus made a mental note to spend time in the Word that night before bed and find Bible verses for parental burnout.

A Biblical Perspective​

God loves you. He will give you the strength and help you need. He has given you family, friends, a church, and a community who would love to help step up and ease the load. There are many other parents who are in your shoes, who have gone through burnout too.

The Bible shares the stories of a few people who experienced serious burnout. Both Moses and Elijah were so burned out at various points in their lives that they asked God to end their lives. However, God gave them rest and refreshment, and sustained them. He brought others into their lives to provide aide. You can read their stories in Numbers 11 and 1 Kings 19.

God has given you a love letter—His Word—that shares those stories and many verses of encouragement for those who are facing burnout and exhaustion. He promises to be with us, never to leave us, and to strengthen and carry us.

26 Scriptures for Parental Burnout​

Here are 26 scriptures for parental burnout to encourage and strengthen you on your parenting journey. You might consider writing them down and placing them on sticky notes in places you will see them, saving them as reminders on your devices, or using them as memory verses for the whole family.

1. Exodus 18:18

“You and the people with you will certainly wear yourselves out, for the thing is too heavy for you. You are not able to do it alone.”

2. Exodus 33:14

And he said, “My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”

3. Deuteronomy 31:8

“It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.”

4. 1 Chronicles 16:11

Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually!

5. Psalms 28:7

The Lord is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to him.

6. Psalms 29:11

May the Lord give strength to his people! May the Lord bless his people with peace!

7. Psalms 55:22

Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved.

8. Psalms 61:2

From the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint.
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

9. Psalms 68:35

Awesome is God from his sanctuary; the God of Israel—he is the one who gives power and strength to his people. Blessed be God!

10. Psalms 73:26

My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

11. Psalms 121:1-2

I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.

12. Psalms 145:18

The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.

13. Isaiah 40:28-31

Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.

14. Jeremiah 31:25

“For I will satisfy the weary soul, and every languishing soul I will replenish.”

15. Matthew 11:28

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

16. John 14:1

“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me.”

17. John 16:33

“I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”

18. Romans 12:11-13 (MSG)

Don’t burn out; keep yourselves fueled and aflame. Be alert servants of the Master, cheerfully expectant. Don’t quit in hard times; pray all the harder. Help needy Christians; be inventive in hospitality.

19. 2 Corinthians 4:8-10, 16

We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair;persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies…So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day.

20. Galatians 6:9

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

21. Philippians 4:6-7

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

22. Philippians 4:13

I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

23. Colossians 1:11

…being strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy;

24. 2 Thessalonians 3:13

As for you, brothers, do not grow weary in doing good.

25. James 1:5

If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.

26. 1 Peter 5:7

…casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.

Final Thoughts

We pray that these Scriptures for parental burnout will bless you and help you navigate this season of your parenting journey. Remember that help is available to you if you need it. If you feel like you need to talk to a counselor, please call 1-800-A-FAMILY (232-6459).

The post 26 Bible Verses to Reverse Parental Burnout appeared first on Focus on the Family.

Continue reading...

Back