Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit.

Dave...

Matthew 7:18
A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit.

James 2:10
For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all. NKJV

I've always attributed this James passage to be speaking about God's perfect standards, His justice, His holiness. And while that still applies, now I'm wondering if this a literal statement. Meaning, could he be saying that... if you are willing to admit the you have sinned once, you must also admit, that you are a bad tree, thus it's all sin.

Jesus, in His incarnation, gave two sides to the same coin. Being both fully God, and fully man, in one instance, when He was called good, from the perspective of being fully man (flesh), He replied, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God." (Luke 18:19). In another instance, from the perspective of being fully God, He said “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing." (John 15:5) Nothing good implied.

The context doesn't suggest it, but is good tree is God, we (the flesh) are the bad tree. Every believer has both. The James-Paul, works plus faith simplified. James is speaking of the fruit of the spirit. One who is already in Christ justified. Paul is speaking of those who think that they can justify themselves by works of the flesh. What do you have (that is good), that you did not receive (from God), and if you did receive it (from God), why do you boast.

Anyways, the question at hand, James...his meaning. James 2:10.

Thanks

Back