Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

A handicapped Jesus

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

tim-from-pa

Here is a question I have based on a dream I had. Would it bother anyone out there if Jesus was born handicapped, say just a mild limp and walked with a simple cane?

He could still heal people of their physical illnesses, but when asked as to his own limp would simply reply, "I am still whole in spirit regardless of this deformity. I will still go to the cross for you, and you will be healed."

A simple YES or NO answer would suffice without the theological discourse until later after a few had a chance to answer.

As for my position, I would say "yes" it would bother me. I would not accept him as my Savior.

tim_from_pa said:
Here is a question I have based on a dream I had. Would it bother anyone out there if Jesus was born handicapped, say just a mild limp and walked with a simple cane?

He could still heal people of their physical illnesses, but when asked as to his own limp would simply reply, "I am still whole in spirit regardless of this deformity. I will still go to the cross for you, and you will be healed."

A simple YES or NO answer would suffice without the theological discourse until later after a few had a chance to answer.

As for my position, I would say "yes" it would bother me. I would not accept him as my Savior.

No - it would not bother me - in fact, He probably was deformed in some way.

Isaiah 53: He had no stately form or majesty that we should look upon Him, Nor appearance that we should be attracted to Him, He was despised and forsaken of men...."

Sorry for jumping the gun, but I do not plan on being on the forums after tonight.

I do not believe he was deformed, nor was he ugly. In fact, my opinion is He was the best looking thing in all of Judea. Why? Common sense. He drew huge crowds, and people being people, they are not going to follow after a meiskeit.

May I suggest it was His Spirit that drew the crowds, not His looks. Everything about Him (His humanity) was average or less than average, from His birth right down to His death.

Only Satan comes as an Angel of light.

tim_from_pa said:
sisterchristian said:
[quote="tim_from_pa":ff3a5] I would not accept him as my Savior.
Than I guess you know where you would end up.... :o

You misquoted me and did not really answer the question. Maybe I should have made this a poll instead.[/quote:ff3a5]Well what kind of question is that anyway? It would really make a difference to you if he were?

tim_from_pa said:

My answer to your question: After considering over it, I go right on ahead and recieve Him as my Savior.

As far as theological ramifications: Yeah, there's a few. The biggie is that the sacrifical Lamb was to be "without spot or blemish" and a Jesus with a physical deformity might be said to not qualify. But, in the senario you describe, the answer Jesus would give would be sufficient for me.

Besides, what other options do I have? I sure ain't going to be saved on my own accord, and He's the only One else out there Who's been willing to sacrifice Himself for me.

handy said:
... As far as theological ramifications: Yeah, there's a few. The biggie is that the sacrificial Lamb was to be "without spot or blemish" and a Jesus with a physical deformity might be said to not qualify. But, in the scenario you describe, the answer Jesus would give would be sufficient for me.

Besides, what other options do I have? I sure ain't going to be saved on my own accord, and He's the only One else out there Who's been willing to sacrifice Himself for me.
Bingo Handy. That's not just a biggie, that is the biggest. No sacrificial lamb was acceptable if it was blemished or deformed in any way. Remember the incident between Cain and God in Genesis 4?

Exodus 12:5 Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year: ye shall take it out from the sheep, or from the goats:
Exodus 12:6 And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening.

But lets not confuse mere looks with physical deformities. 8-)

True, the sacrificial lamb of God was to be without spot or blemish. But, I don't think this necessarily means that the true Savior had to be physically perfect. There is the little matter of the "Lamb of God" being a human in the first place.

There are reasons why the Jews rejected Jesus as Savior, the most compelling of which is that God expressly forbid human sacrifices. So, the idea of any human (physically perfect or not) being the "Lamb of God" was already an understandable offense to the Jewish idea of what the Messiah was going to come to do. We need to realize, as shocking at it seems, Christianity is built upon the acceptance of ...human sacrifice, that horrible taboo which is one of the worst of all sins. This is why it takes the Spirit regenerating us in order for us to accept this.

So, the answer Tim's rhetorical Jesus gives, ""I am still whole in spirit regardless of this deformity. I will still go to the cross for you, and you will be healed." would be acceptable to me, as I've already been given the faith to believe that Jesus and His sacrifice is God's will for the Messiah. If I hadn't been given that faith to believe, I would have rejected Christianity as hopelessly paganistic a long time ago.

However, and praise God, the Spirit did give me the gift of faith to recieve and it all makes perfect sense.

sisterchristian said:
Well what kind of question is that anyway? It would really make a difference to you if he were?

Actually, it does matter. Some folks here hit the nail on the head. They quoted Exodus 12:5 regarding the lamb without blemish. Therefore, regardless of who came along, they'd have to fulfill scripture.

I'll admit it was a difficult question. I asked how one felt about it. However, the strong implication in the question was that the bible is still true. Therefore it matters not how one feels about their Lord and Savior. Faith must be based in the scriptural facts and we accept him based on them whether we like it or not.

On the other hand, if a false Messiah appeared that did not conform to scripture by smooth talking, we must not consider that person just because we accepted and liked him, even with his handicap.

tim_from_pa said:
sisterchristian said:
Well what kind of question is that anyway? It would really make a difference to you if he were?

Actually, it does matter. Some folks here hit the nail on the head. They quoted Exodus 12:5 regarding the lamb without blemish. Therefore, regardless of who came along, they'd have to fulfill scripture.

I'll admit it was a difficult question. I asked how one felt about it. However, the strong implication in the question was that the bible is still true. Therefore it matters not how one feels about their Lord and Savior. Faith must be based in the scriptural facts and we accept him based on them whether we like it or not.

On the other hand, if a false Messiah appeared that did not conform to scripture by smooth talking, we must not consider that person just because we accepted and liked him, even with his handicap.
ahhhh.... ok now I see what you mean. :)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back