Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

A new and highly disappointed member

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
jasoncran said:
Captain Sarcastic said:
coelacanth said:
Hello everyone,

I signed up thinking this might be a forum with the freedom to engage in a respectful intellectual debate from the perspective of an atheist who is highly skeptical about Christian beliefs, but interested in conversation with educated Christians about their belief structure. That seems to be prevented by the forum rules, and I will abide by them and make no further posts unless I have misinterpreted what is allowed. I can see the usefulness of forums where such things are not allowed, and I respect that this site maintains that it be banned. I only posted because I thought some people here might recommend where I could go to find a site with lots of Christians who are open-minded and willing to talk about such issues. Please do not direct me to atheist sites.

Thank you, and I hope I have not disturbed the peace by posting this.
Take care.

So, you're basically upset because Christians aren't "open-minded" enough to capitulate to your strident atheism? Is that it? While you aren't open-minded toward the Christianity espoused at a primarily Christian site? Wow.

Let's just say for the sake of argument that I doubt if Christians would be as warmly received at an openly-atheist site as you have been welcomed here. Just my $.02 (before Obama taxes it, that is. ;) )
:shrug

I have found that to be true sofar with some athiests allbeit this site inho is a good as it challenge me in my thinking without leaving that sense of hopelesness that athiest site seem to affer( no moral direction) I've only been to a few, and athiesm is the idea there's no absolute truth, save evolution. I 've seen some weird people that make the most liberal people i know seem like nothing on one atheist site

Anyway welcome. jason

Thank you for the welcome.

I agree; that I like to be challenged in my thinking as well. I don't think there is an external source of absolute truth in morality, and that seems to scare people who think they have a source of absolute morality, but I would certainly not say that Christians have a source of absolute morality. Morality is an important part of the religion, for sure, and a lot of serious thought is put into it, and so things can be learned. But absolute truth? Doubtful... I think for myself and hold myself to a high ethical standard all on my own and don't feel a loss from not having it dictated to me.

Cheers!

coelacanth said:
John said:
I feel the need for me to engage is time wasted. I have studied both sides, i know the truth and am content with it.

So have I, and I can't help but suspect there is a profound misunderstanding somewhere... or a head-in-the-sand ;) ... If you know the truth, please enlighten me.

coelacanth, it seems apparent that some members of this forum (myself included) might not wish to be engaged in the endless circle of debate that ensues when an atheist tries to provoke a Christian into "proving" his/her faith. There are tons of these debates already active in this forum (in which at least a couple of them I allowed myself to get sucked into) and you can easily find Christian perspective and opinions there. That is, if you are truly looking for enlightenment.

But, as you've already admitted to previously having studied both sides and have concluded that someone has their head in the sand, I really doubt "enlightenment" is on your agenda here. JMO of course (based on your posts so far).

JoJo said:
coelacanth said:
John said:
I feel the need for me to engage is time wasted. I have studied both sides, i know the truth and am content with it.

So have I, and I can't help but suspect there is a profound misunderstanding somewhere... or a head-in-the-sand ;) ... If you know the truth, please enlighten me.

coelacanth, it seems apparent that some members of this forum (myself included) might not wish to be engaged in the endless circle of debate that ensues when an atheist tries to provoke a Christian into "proving" his/her faith. There are tons of these debates already active in this forum (in which at least a couple of them I allowed myself to get sucked into) and you can easily find Christian perspective and opinions there. That is, if you are truly looking for enlightenment.

But, as you've already admitted to previously having studied both sides and have concluded that someone has their head in the sand, I really doubt "enlightenment" is on your agenda here. JMO of course (based on your posts so far).

That part was tied to evolution, not "proving" faith. But I was hoping for a thought-provoking justification from a perspective opposite to mine on either topic. (I think I have found someone on the faith part for now.)There must be a reason for it, and as an active poster in the science forum I figured that perhaps he might be willing. Since I actually teach evolution as a part of my livelihood, I am continually frustrated by the pre-conceived resistance to it, and think that the predetermined rejection of it that many young people bring to school undermines the education of our nation's youth at many levels with very serious consequences. I would presume he might think I am corrupting the minds of the next generation with garbage or something along those lines... That is another entirely different reason I have found to be here: understanding the mindset of detractors. Regardless of how the discussion would end up, I would surely be enlightened in that respect.

I for one don't wish to be forever entangled in the evolution debate.

I just wonder what the motives are of some. :shrug

Why do atheists want us all to be atheists? Why are atheists also evolutionists? Someone told me that they aren't all evolutionists, but I haven't found one that isn't?

Oh well, apparently everyone has to worship something. :halo

No, cole, there's no misunderstanding, and no heads in the sand.
(unless you count that port-a-potty at the beach, yesterday)
:lol

Anyways, I, like some of my peers, have been through intense discussions about evil-lotion,
and we have proved to ourselves, with the word of God, and faith, (which you do not have, apparently)that we did not ever have relatives with prehensile tails....and all that.
The answer is in the Bible, the KJV for me, but, without being born again, all of the biblical discussions in the world will seem as foolishness to you.
You COULD accept Jesus as your Saviour and Lord, though. Why not try it again?

coelacanth said:
John said:
Well, you're apparently vehemently anti-evolution. I'm still wondering if you understand it. I was waiting for you to engage :armed

Respectful intellectual debate is fine. Its is atheists who come on boards just to hate us that are where the problems start. Welcome. I am new too! :)

Charlie+ said:
Respectful intellectual debate is fine. Its is atheists who come on boards just to hate us that are where the problems start. Welcome. I am new too! :)

hey, welcome. I'm a lover, not a hater at heart. I just like to spar for sport and intellectual exercise, I can get pretty intense sometimes and it does offend people who hold their religion to transcend interrogation. It seems I have a good welcome so far, but no serious challenges as of yet (except a minor issue regarding a self-refuting definition). Still hoping Biblereader gets back to me soon... where are you, B?

Charlie+ said:

Charlie, I've given Ceola permission in his welcome here to debate. Ceola has some real issues and questions of his faith. He is seeking answers, clarification, and resolving his faith/belief... He has been very respectable, and I want him to have the same respect given back, and\or the Fruits of the Spirit displayed when communicating with others here. And Ceola has displayed them out of respect to the christian community here. I would appreciate the same common courtesy returned to him. If this is a difficult task for you, you may want to enter another forum/topic for discussions. Ceola is limited to the forums he can enter, where Charlie you can pretty much enter all fourms, excluding the mods forum.

But I would perfer that the book/new member is not judged by it's cover, and this sounds like what you may be doing to Coela. Please give him the opportunity to plead his case at hand. This is a ministry that ministers to the [lost and saved]......you yourself [at one time] Charlie was unsaved, so you would deny Ceola the same opportunity when he's seeking answers?

I would like you to pray about it Charlie.....and consider what Christ did for you.....Ceola has the same right as you to seek the Savior if he so chooses, if he don't get ran off with hostility. He's kind of up in the air with things.....but attitudes to judge all atheist as the same is wrong! We deal with them individually according to their character. So far Ceola's character has been respectful to all. So let's get beyond the stereo typeing members, cause of the few outrageous characters passing through. We have no tolerance for rude behavior/name calling from anyone in here [christian/non chrisitan].

So please abide by the rules stated............. :thumb Cause the verbal mud slinging sets the tone, and if you're not interested in conversing....then don't.

Thank you Carol, I appreciate it. It didn't bother me, though to tell you the truth. I didn't take it as a direct accusation (though it may have been one and I have misinterpreted) . I interpreted his comment as a response to my initial hesitation about posting here, and as advice not to spread hatred, which I am not here to do. The smiling welcome I took as sincere, and will assume that is the case unless he shows me otherwise :)

It's always good to remind newbies of the rules, though, just to be on the safe side ;)

-Coelacanth

Great Ceola.....I'm just making it clear since I moved this from the welcome forum for it to continue in a mature manner. Thanks sweetie.....enjoy!

coelacanth said:
Thank you, Carol.

Biblereader, I responded to you via PM while the thread was locked.

Looks like you're chugging along nicely in here, Greg.
I hope you get born again soon! I really do! I wish I had met some
nice Christians when I was lost, who encouraged me to accept Jesus.
Read Romans 10:9-12. Salvation is easy.

Welcome Greg, I realize where there is God there is love, you can't see it either but it's there though invisible.

I was once without God having a terrible time and I asked God for a sign that He was real, I finally got one.

You'll know when He answered you when your prayer or request is brought back to memory at the time the sign is given.

Then when you get a sign from above, ask for another one! and so on, just like when you start getting to know someone, it is similar. God wants a relationship not a religionship.

Always remember true Christians are the ones who love!

You seem to have love in you, and remember all Jesus ever wanted was for people to live forever.
And He simply shows us the way there...

Welcome again!

And don't forget to ask for a sign and wait for it, God will blow you mind!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back