Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

abstinence-until-marriage program overcomes aids in Ugandan

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
M

mick75

The pastor who represents the abstinence-until-marriage program “True Love Waits†in Uganda will be at the headquarters of one of the world’s largest providers of Christian products and services on Wednesday to share about the “remarkable†success of the movement.
Ugandan “True Love Waits†Pastor Andrew Mwenge will speak about the effectiveness of the program in the combat against HIV/AIDS infection in Uganda and other parts of Africa at Lifeway Christian Resources’ headquarters in Nashville.

Lifeway plans to help the program expand its work in Africa through a major donor campaign.

Since the abstinence-until-marriage program was introduced in Uganda 12 years ago by two missionaries, the HIV/AIDS infection rate in the country has decreased from 30 percent of the population to about six percent, according to LifeWay.

“Everyone seemed convinced that True Love Waits has been a huge success,†said Jack Thompkins, president emeritus of LifeWay Christian Resources, in a journal entry. He said it is not just a program but rather “a ministry that allows a great opportunity for evangelism and the teaching of obedience.â€Â

The wife of Uganda’s president serves as a national spokesperson for “True Love Waits.â€Â

Last November, U.S. government officials voiced their support of the ABC (Abstinence, Be Faithful, or use Condom) model at the HIV/AIDS conference hosted by the Purpose Driven ministry and Saddleback Church.

The ABC model is similar to the “True Love Waits†model in that it emphasizes abstinence and is supported by many churches and Christians.

Claude Allen, chief assistant to the president for Domestic policy, and Patrick Purtill, a representative from the office of the U.S. Department of State: Global AIDS Coordination, both shared with pastors and church leaders at the conference their support of the model.

“The ABC model provides hard data,†said Purtill on Nov. 29. “The only 100 percent way of prevention is to abstain or be faithful.â€Â

Allen held up Uganda as an ABC model success story and noted, “The ABC model focuses on the individual and gets them to realize that if they don’t get ABC right then there’s D - Death.â€Â

Sharon Pumpelly, who together with her husband introduced the program to Uganda 12 years ago, concluded, “The impact of True Love Waits in Uganda is seen not only in statistics, but in the fact that all Christian-based abstinence groups use True Love Waits commitment cards as part of what they do, even the first lady’s group

“The fingers of AIDS reach far and True Love Waits is only a part of the whole issue, but apart which certainly affects the future of AIDS,†she added.

http://www.christianpost.com/article/20061101/25704.htm

http://hrw.org/campaigns/aids/2005/uganda/facts.htm
But abstinence-only programs withhold or distort information about any method of HIV prevention other than abstinence, and even discourage young people from using condoms by exaggerating their (very low) failure rates or saying that they don’t work at all.

These programs withhold or distort information about any other HIV-prevention strategy besides abstinence, including safer sex and the use of condoms. They ignore the risk of HIV transmission within marital relationships and fail to provide information so that couples can protect themselves.

and of course.

http://www.who.int/inf-new/aids2.htm

Sex education programmes in schools and on the radio focused on the need to negotiate safe sex and encouraged teenagers to delay the age at which they first have sex. Since 1990, a USAID-funded scheme to increase condom use through social marketing of condoms has boosted condom use from 7% nationwide to over 50% in rural areas and over 85% in urban areas. The social marketing scheme involved sales of condoms at subsidized prices or free distribution by both the government and the private sector. The scheme was also backed up by health education and other public information. Meanwhile more teenage girls reported condom use than any other age group -- a trend reflected in falling infection rates among 13-19 year old girls in Masaka, in rural Uganda. And among 15-year-old boys and girls, the proportion who had never had sex rose from about 20% to 50% between 1989 and 1995.

Condom use is also being encouraged among men who seek treatment for sexually transmitted infections. A new innovative social marketing scheme to promote the use of an STI self-treatment kit ("Clear Seven") has proved to be successful in treating STIs and preventing HIV infection. The kit, which contains a 14-day course of tablets, condoms, partner referral cards, and an information leaflet, is designed to improve STI treatment rates, prevent over-the-counter sales of inappropriate treatments, encourage partner referral, and reinforce condom use. The distribution system relies on the use of small retail outlets which are normally licensed to sell over-the-counter drugs but not antibiotics. The Ugandan Government has waived these restrictions to promote sales of Clear Seven, marketed at the subsidized price of US$ 1.35, and trained shopkeepers in the management of STIs. As a result, cure rates for urethritis have increased from 46% to 87% and condom use during treatment has more than doubled (from 32% to 65%).

Another innovation in Uganda was the launch in 1997 of same-day voluntary counselling and testing services. Up till then, clients had to wait two weeks for their HIV test results and up to 30% failed to return. Thousands of people who have taken advantage of same-day testing have since been recruited and trained as peer educators. So far, 180 000 people have been reached by the scheme and over a million condoms distributed.

I seem to think that Millions of condoms, and education funding, has done more than 2 missionaries.

Re: abstinence-until-marriage program overcomes aids in Ugan

mick75 said:
“The ABC model provides hard data,†said Purtill on Nov. 29. “The only 100 percent way of prevention is to abstain or be faithful.â€Â
What does "being faithful" mean? Does it mean that if you pray, you will not get aids? Or does it mean that if you are faithful, you will abstain?

If it is the second, then they should just say "The only 100 percent way of prevention is to abstain."

also, incase you didn't know..
http://sexuality.about.com/od/saferse1/ ... ention.htm
ABC model:

* Abstinence or delaying first sex
* Being safer by being faithful to one partner or by reducing the number of sexual partners
* Correct and consistent use of condoms for sexually active young people, couples in which one partner is HIV-positive, sex workers and their clients, and anyone engaging in sexual activity with partners who may have been at risk of HIV exposure.

Quath said:
What does "being faithful" mean? Does it mean that if you pray, you will not get aids? Or does it mean that if you are faithful, you will abstain?

It means if you don't have sex the risk of contracting a sexually transmitted disease is cut dramatically.*
If you do have sex then let it be with your wife and no other.
It's not difficult. Really.

*HIV can be contracted by contaminated needles using drugs, some babies are born with HIV, those in the medical field can be inadvertently infected by someone else's blood, or by contaminated transfusions etc.

But HIV is only one of many sexually transmitted diseases. (STD's) Oral sex can put one at risk from a host of other STD's as well but it seems many opt for that thinking they are safe when in fact they aren't. It boils down to the fact that condoms are not the holy grail of prevention as some would like to believe. And latex can be weakened by age, heat (even prolonged periods exposed to body heat... in wallets etc), oils, some contraceptive drugs used in conjunction with a condom, fingernails, creams containing clindamycin commonly used by women for combating infection... not to mention manufacturing defects, all can lead to failure of the material.

Is it really worth risking your life, or someone else's, trusting in only a couple thousands (.01mm to .09mm) of manmade material for a few moments of pleasure?

Question:
Would you (nobody in particular) trust in condoms enough to have sex knowing the other has AIDS?
I think most would prefer to "abstain".

There is wisdom in God's Word.

1Peter 4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;
1Peter 4:2 That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.

----------

Added note:
The topic is AIDS prevention ... not contraception so let's leave condoms/contraception for another thread.

PotLuck said:
It means if you don't have sex the risk of contracting a sexually transmitted disease is cut dramatically.*
If you do have sex then let it be with your wife and no other.
It's not difficult. Really.
So it is abstaince that is the 100% prevention, not faith. I just wanted that cleared up.

Would you (nobody in particular) trust in condoms enough to have sex knowing the other has AIDS?
I wouldn't have sex with someone who has AIDS. I wonder if I would if I really loved the person? (Would you abstain from sex if your spouse contracted AIDS?)

But life is also about risk. One of the most dangerous things you do in a day is drive a car. Yet we accept that risk for the reward of getting groceries quicker or living in a house far away from work. Sex is also a risk versus reward senario that people engage in.

I agree with quath on the last part sort of.

If my partner for many years, the love of my life and mother of my children contracted aids through a medical problem or something else (she wasn't a druggie or cheating on me) I would probably still have relations with her, however I would be safe about it.

and Potluck. I agree condoms are not a 100% cure all. But when used properly, they are 99% effective. Thats why people fight for the money to educate people about proper condom use. don't open them with your teeth. Don't keep them in your wallet. Don't keep them in a hot place, don't use petroleum based products.

We learn all these things in health class. and with proper funding, condoms can be used widely and effectivley.

Quath said:
So it is abstaince that is the 100% prevention, not faith. I just wanted that cleared up.

You miss the point.
If each is AIDS free then both can engage in sex without risk of AIDS. Being faithful to one's spouse is always good anyway. Faithfulness for those who are married, abstinence until marriage for those who aren't.

Something else I often wonder about is the lack of required blood tests in some states to acquire a marriage license. Testing for AIDS at that time would be prudent I should think.

Now you fellas can do as you please concerning your bodies or the bodies of your partners. You're of the world and follow after the will of men. Those who profess christianity follow the will of God. At least that's how it's supposed to be anyway. Yes, there are those professors of the faith who do not but for the most part I really believe those who have a solid foundation in Christ really desire to please Him.
Therefore, the support for the will of man to satisfy the desires of the flesh by those who follow after the flesh should come as no surprise to anyone. Quath, peace4all ... you both are of the flesh and follow after the same. But those of the spirit march to the beat of a different drummer. And while abstinence is always good no matter who it is I hardly expect those who have a need to fulfill the desires of the flesh to advocate a practice that is against that nature.
Yet, on the other hand there has been much said for the abstinence of smoking and/or preaching to stay away from secondhand smoke. This of course is for the good of one's health, to flee from that which may be harmful. But when it comes to sex just the opposite is taught. For if there is a need to teach safety then it follows there is danger and risk in the practice.

Now so far I've seen abstinence having a success rate against AIDS far greater than education of safe-sex. Yet because it's against the will of the flesh the latter is preferred. And though it's been said that if all would follow the rules of safe-sex then AIDS would then diminish. On the same token IF all would follow the rules of the road then accidents would also diminish. And there IS driver's ED which IS required. But the reality is that not all will follow the rules. So AIDS will still be an issue regardless how much money for education is thrown at the problem teaching safe-sex. One may know better but there's no guarantee the better will prevail.

the success rate of people that actually abstain from sex is 100% because they are obviously abstaining. However, Tons of kids and teenagers and even adults, start abstaining, but then fall into urges, and are, at that point at GREATER risk, because they were never taught how to use a condom properly.

Where as the success rate of people that use condoms properly is what, 98-99% (because 1 in every few hundred thousand condoms is defective (made in the USA, quality name brand condoms...)) and..... everyone that is taught safe sex, is also taught that abstinence is the ONLY way to stay 100% safe, and taught that it is the most preferred and best method.

It's horrendously unrealistic to believe that a program of abstinence is the answer to AIDS. Idealistic opinions and beliefs are absolutely fine, but implementing this idealism in a real-world situation is ridiculous. Wasting valuable resources to try and get people to do something that's not going to EVER be completely effective is morally criminal.

No doubt keeping one's virginity for marriage has become "old hat" as indicated by previous posts. So suffering the consequences of a more tolerant behavior will have to be endured. And the consequences are varied and far reaching. The price will be paid. Make no mistake about that.

I realize how harsh this will probably sound, but why are we going out of our way to offer 'protection' to those who participate in 'high risk' activities with such carefree abandon? I've never been able to figure this out. As far as I know we are all responsible for our own actions and, oftentimes, those actions may result in a harsh penalty. There is no law that states that having sex is mandatory so why do we assume - as suggested in the post from Ennui - that having sex outside of marriage is a MUST ...? We are not animals ...we have free will.

If I continually choose to make my bed, then I also continually consent to having to lie in it. I don't necessarily deserve or necessarily want a bunch of do-gooders, as well-intentioned as they may be, trying to protect me from my own (immoral) actions. God gave me a brain and He also gave me a conscience. I know the difference between right and wrong. So does everyone else. If I knowingly choose 'wrong' (as I OFTEN have in the past) then I also knowingly choose to accept the penalty for my wrong actions. Risk-taking is just that. It increases the likelihood of a penalty.

The Bible makes mention of the fact that, in the last days, people will become lovers of themselves and go about seeking their own pleasure . . .Isn't this very much TODAY ...?

so because they are sinners, and they refuse to listen to your help, you refuse to give them help anyways?

So.... since the Iraqis seem pretty content on blowing us out of Iraq, I should probably assume that we should stop trying to aid them?

Did you ever think that the negative actions of some effect all?

every person that gets aids that raises medical costs for a country, decreases the working population, and has chances to infect others that may either be raped, accidental contamination, drug use, or lieing to their spouse.... that hurts good people, because we refuse to help...

I hardly think that what you have to say above has anything at all to do with some randy guy who can't control his sexual desires. Why do we need to protect him from himself ...is the onus for the possible consequences of his actions not on him?

yes, the blame should be on the guy that spreads the aids.

Just as say, the murderer should be held accountable for knowingly killing someone.

But, we have police, and surveilance, and defenses to try to stop murderers from murdering people, because, after all, is it not that sicko's fault?

peace4all said:
yes, the blame should be on the guy that spreads the aids.

I don't think you understand the import of that statement.

The Gay Men's Health Crisis HIV/AIDS Timeline

1986:
Surgeon General C. Everett Koop calls for AIDS education for children of all ages, saying that "We can no longer afford to sidestep frank, open discussions about sexual practices homosexual or heterosexual. Education about AIDS should start at an early age so that children can grow up knowing the behaviors to avoid to protect themselves from exposure to the AIDS virus."

Instead, public schools promote the practice.

The C. Everett Koop Papers
AIDS, the Surgeon General, and the Politics of Public Health

Through his report and his many speeches and interviews on AIDS Koop did more than any other public official to shift the terms of the public debate over AIDS from the moral politics of homosexuality, sexual promiscuity, and intravenous drug use, practices through which AIDS was spread, to concern with the medical care, economic position, and civil rights of AIDS sufferers.

We cannot link AIDS with homosexuality for if we do we become labeled homophobic. Because of this unwillingness there is no public education through ad campaigns or otherwise to focus on those who are in the greatest need of help with AIDS. We know ad campaigns work, the anti-smoking ads have made a major impact in stopping the practice among people of all ages and walks of life. There are no such public awareness campaigns concerning AIDS anywhere close to the intensity of anti-smoking campaigns.

1981:
Eighty men gather in New York writer Larry Kramer's apartment to address the "gay cancer" and to raise money for research. This informal meeting provides the foundation for what will soon become Gay Men's Health Crisis (GMHC).

Who knew of their efforts toward AIDS prevention? Not many.
Tolerance and political correctness is killing those that have the greatest need of help with AIDS.

Polls show 72% of Americans favor mandatory testing; 51% favor quarantine; and 15% favor tattoos for those infected with HIV.

"72% of Americans favor mandatory testing"
Never happened. In fact California and Massachusetts are some of the states that aren't required to report AIDS cases to the CDC since reporting AIDS cases is on a voluntary basis. If 72% are in favor of testing I would assume that most would be willing to foot the bill to do so. And I strongly believe the money spent in this direction would be a wise move. Testing would have a huge impact on the spread of AIDS for then treatment of AIDS can be brought to bear not only for those showing the symptoms but also to those in the early stages of the virus.

By the way, the spread of AIDS cannot be equated with murder. There are a lot of people who don't even know they have AIDS and it can take years before outward symptoms become apparent. I understand that those who do know and opt not to inform their partners of the fact should be held accountable but there's no way to prove the crime. As yet there is no documented proof who has the virus and who doesn't. And since people have sex with multiple partners and AIDS takes so long to develope pinpointing who it come from in the first place is next to impossible.

Testing also opens a "can of worms" for how then do we "label" or otherwise make known those who have it without being accused of discrimination? Solutions such as mandatory testing does not fit our current stance of confidentiality, tolerance and political correctness for what then do we do with that information? Do we publish the data much in the same way child molestation offenders are made known to the public? There has been much opposition to these publications and using the same methods with AIDS would never be tolerated.

The greatest weapons we have against the epidemic are made useless by the same tolerance that advocates the sexual freedoms that spread the disease in the first place.

ok better analogy.

we know people can get salmonella from eggs, especially raw eggs. Instead of teachign kids not to eat raw cookie dough, and instead of enforcing health restrictions in stores and restuarants, we should completley ban the use of eggs.

then you bring up the point about "well eating eggs isn't immoral, being a homosexual is"

to a vegan, eating eggs is a horrible thing to do, that goes against everything they believe in.

with proper education, proper testing, and availability to educators and materials needed to have safe sex (and materials regarding abstinence), we can stop, or atleast greatly reduce the spread of the aids virus. However, every time we get closer to doing so, some group begins spreading condom lies to people.

So many people are taught that condoms do nothing more than prevent pregnancy. So many people are not aware of the horrible risks associated with having unprotected sex.

People are going to have sex wether you believe it is morally right, or morally wrong, because as was stated earlier. God gave each human the free will to obey or disobey his commands.

peace4all said:
with proper education, proper testing, and availability to educators and materials needed to have safe sex (and materials regarding abstinence), we can stop, or atleast greatly reduce the spread of the aids virus. However, every time we get closer to doing so, some group begins spreading condom lies to people.

Drat those condom lies people. AIDS continues because of them. :smt011

:roll:

I'm out of here
:smt039

I need to find the flash animation that is absolutely ridiculous, claimign that condoms INCREASE your chance of contracting Hpv and other diseases. That condoms break over 80% of the time and condoms are not suitable for anal sex, PERIOD....

And then it went in to "but we can help. With the lord, you can't contract horrible diseases like Aids, and Clamyida.

Let me search for the link.

Abstinence is no problem for a person who is more concerned about pleasing God than himself. I was 22 when I got married and had sex for the first time on my wedding night. It was well worth waiting for it. I never had sex with anyone other than my wife, and since being divorced I have never once had sex. A true child of God will live to please HIM and not one's self.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back