Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Affirmations Of The Cross Part 3

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Soul man

A good friend (now departed) wrote a book entitled 'The law is not faith. It was one of the finest understandings I have ever seen on the subject. The scripture I'm dealing with in Galatians has this phrase in it. The very wording of the phrase shows how far modern religion has departed from Paul's gospel.

The cross and the curse, Galatians 3: 10–13.
10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.
13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

This section of scripture begins with an explanation of how Old Testament law worked. It shows the utter failure of the law. On one hand, it says that whosoever keeps the law is under a curse and then it says whosoever does not keep the law is under a curse. You might ask, why would God put such an impossible ruling upon people? The answer to this is plainly shown in Paul's writing: the purpose of the law is to bring us to Christ,
Galatians 3:24.
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

This scriptures say, " cursed is everyone who does not abide by the things written in the book of the law, to perform them, Deuteronomy 27:26." Then Paul says in one of his most important statements that every man is justified only by what Jesus does at the cross and those so justified need only live by faith. There is nothing more for them to do: Christ alone finished salvation.

The fact that law believers in the Old Testament could not live the law was like a curse put upon them. In Galatians 3:13, Paul gives us a good understanding concerning the curse of the law taken from Deuteronomy 27. He says two important things.

One, he says "Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law." The curse of the law was so important that the father incorporated into Christ's death. Just like our sins, ourselves, and our old man, were crucified, meaning killed out with Christ death on the cross, so was the curse of the law killed out at Calvary.

Two, Paul says a second thing in this verse more meaningful than anyone could imagine. Not only did the curse of the law die out at the cross, but it died because Christ was made the curse himself, "cursed is everyone that hangeth on a tree. His death was the death of the curse of the law.

Oh, that this were known and enacted by religionists because so many believers today are being killed by the curse of the law, Romans 7:9-11.
9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.

If you do not attend every meeting you are cursed by the law. If you do not pay tithes you are cursed by the law. If you do not pray and read your Bible daily you are cursed by the law or if you do not participate in the church program you are cursed by the law. On and on goes the program of law that is thrust upon most believers.

If we had not received the final gospel from Christ, as was given to Paul, the whole of humanity would still be struggling under the weight of this curse. There are some preachers who feel believers cannot live without the law in their lives, but such preaching as this minimizes the death of Christ and gives the religionist the opening to put the "curse" on believers even though the curse is dead, completely dead, at Calvary.

This section of scripture begins with an explanation of how Old Testament law worked. It shows the utter failure of the law.
Utter failure of the law????
It did exactly what it was supposed to do:
(1) make us aware of sin.
(2) lead us to Christ

Gal 3:19-26 (NKJV)
What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator. Now a mediator does not mediate for one only, but God is one.
Is the law then against the promises of God? Certainly not! For if there had been a law given which could have given life, truly righteousness would have been by the law. But the Scripture has confined all under sin, that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe. But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor. For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.

iakov the fool
(beaucoup dien cai dau)

DISCLAIMER: By reading the words posted above, you have made a free will choice to expose yourself to the rantings of iakov the fool. The poster assumes no responsibility for any temporary, permanent or otherwise annoying manifestations of cognitive dysfunction that, in any manner, may allegedly be related to the reader’s deliberate act by which he/she has knowingly allowed the above rantings to enter into his/her consciousness. No warrantee is expressed or implied. Individual mileage may vary. And, no, I don't want to hear about it. No sniveling! Enjoy the rest of your life here and the eternal one to come.

Utter failure of the law????
It did exactly what it was supposed to do:
(1) make us aware of sin.
(2) lead us to Christ

Gal 3:19-26 (NKJV)
What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator. Now a mediator does not mediate for one only, but God is one.
Is the law then against the promises of God? Certainly not! For if there had been a law given which could have given life, truly righteousness would have been by the law. But the Scripture has confined all under sin, that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe. But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor. For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.

iakov the fool
(beaucoup dien cai dau)

DISCLAIMER: By reading the words posted above, you have made a free will choice to expose yourself to the rantings of iakov the fool. The poster assumes no responsibility for any temporary, permanent or otherwise annoying manifestations of cognitive dysfunction that, in any manner, may allegedly be related to the reader’s deliberate act by which he/she has knowingly allowed the above rantings to enter into his/her consciousness. No warrantee is expressed or implied. Individual mileage may vary. And, no, I don't want to hear about it. No sniveling! Enjoy the rest of your life here and the eternal one to come.

Jim I think you are misunderstanding the cross affirmations I'm trying to bring out. The law had its place, but it wasn't even meant for gentiles.
It did do what it was supposed to do, but it had no life in it, no man could keep it and it had a curse attached to it if you kept it or not. I backed that with scripture.
The real simplicity of law keeping in the OT was to keep the mind in control of the sin nature.
We are so focused on finding truth in the law, that we miss how nature given to mind would become reprobate. The mind controlled and suppressed the sin nature by the use of the law.
Paul says in Romans 7 "he was alive once without law," he was never alive without law. He is speaking retrospectively from an in Christ knowledge, he could do that now he was in Christ. Some believers still feel like they have a sin nature because they sin, Paul would refute that time and time again in his epistles.
We have an unrenewed mind or at least areas that are unrenewed. If the cross did not kill out the sin nature then pray tell what will.

Jim I think you are misunderstanding the cross affirmations I'm trying to bring out. The law had its place, but it wasn't even meant for gentiles.
It did do what it was supposed to do, but it had no life in it, no man could keep it and it had a curse attached to it if you kept it or not. I backed that with scripture.
The real simplicity of law keeping in the OT was to keep the mind in control of the sin nature.
We are so focused on finding truth in the law, that we miss how nature given to mind would become reprobate. The mind controlled and suppressed the sin nature by the use of the law.
Paul says in Romans 7 "he was alive once without law," he was never alive without law. He is speaking retrospectively from an in Christ knowledge, he could do that now he was in Christ. Some believers still feel like they have a sin nature because they sin, Paul would refute that time and time again in his epistles.
We have an unrenewed mind or at least areas that are unrenewed. If the cross did not kill out the sin nature then pray tell what will.
I do not disagree.
I responded to the statement that the law was a failure.
That is not correct.

I do not disagree.
I responded to the statement that the law was a failure.
That is not correct.

Clarification; the law failed to change humanity into what God ultimately wanted, children.
Paul says the law was Holy, but it could not do what the death of Jesus did on the cross. The law given by God in and of itself is the nature of God, His character, personally but it could not exchange who we were.
The longer I look at it, I see it more as a means of God keeping mankind in some form of order. Without it we would have pure anarchy.
Man knew they sinned after the law came, they just didn't know why.
Not until it is revealed to Paul mankind has a sin nature that we could understand why sin. That is what Romans chapter 7 is about, paul showing the manifestation of the sin nature, and the death of it.
All of Israels relationship was based on the keeping of the law, so paul has a hard time trying to tell them, there is a new way.
All they ever new was obedience to the law, or disobedience. Obedience meant they stayed in relationship with God, disobedience meant they were out of relationship with God and paid the price.
Romans is full of Paul trying to reach Israel , he uses the faith of Abraham to try to explain to them, as great a faith as Abraham had it could not change his nature.

Back