Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Hobbies Aikido

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

KevinK

My health has improved enough for me to continue some kind of martial arts training again. I recently did about a year of Filipino "Kali" (stick, sword, and knife fighting). I've always had an interest in Japanese Aikidō, and conveniently found a dojo less than 10 minutes from my house. Been training about 3 months, and very much enjoying it.

I know Jason here has done aikidō and has a black belt. It's a very spiritual art and I hope I can stick with this a while.

My health has improved enough for me to continue some kind of martial arts training again. I recently did about a year of Filipino "Kali" (stick, sword, and knife fighting). I've always had an interest in Japanese Aikidō, and conveniently found a dojo less than 10 minutes from my house. Been training about 3 months, and very much enjoying it.

I know Jason here has done aikidō and has a black belt. It's a very spiritual art and I hope I can stick with this a while.
aikido is a hard art to learn in that it has no strike and can be useless, it can work but will look more like a jujitsu art as well that is where it came from. it depends on how its taught and how realistic the art is made to be the student and teacher as with any style. I gave up on that because the art was too hooky and while it could be made into a workable one there wasn't anyone nearby to show us the way unless the sensei wanted to travel to a former dojo I was with and that would have worked.

Last year I visited a friend out-of-state who has been studying with a retired Aikido sensei for a couple years. His teaching included restoring the counter-strikes that were removed from the original jiujutsu curriculum. He could show you all the places in aikido moves where you could insert an atemi. I figure that once I learn the basic aikido curriculum I can always fold in counterstrikes from my karate backround.

My new dojo is Iwama-style, btw. What ryu were you with, Jason?
the local one would be very close to what o sensei taught, and the one that I ranked as a shodan in would be fukakai(karl geis) who was under one of o sensei last students. I cant remember the name. I don't get much into which house as it really doesn't make it better, yes there is the purity argument if one is that Japanese but again. how many of those masters have successfully taken out the basic and original useful and regained art of jj that the Brazilians brought back. what they are doing and mma isn't new at all. I would submit that looking at the samurai they grappled if need be and used what worked. granted I highly doubt ground game was needed if you are armed on the battlefield but more of oh crap im being attacked and im not armed and he istn either or is by a simple short blade. of course bjj is more evolved given we don't use much in war.

Do you also practice BJJ?
the instructor teaches a full set of jj, it has ground game as jj always did(judo) is literally what jj does and really is just competion jj. that is why and how bjj came to be. they added sambo to it and made it better and added more to and thus mma was born. the art I practice is mostly self defense geared and little sport. he is ranked in sanuces ryu, 6th dan and 7th in another, 3rd in the parent aikido art I was in(tomiki ryu) and 2nd in judo and others. all he has done mostly has taught arts and trained. most of those arts are similar and one need not start over and that's probably why he has that level. imho

Back