Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] Ashamed of My Anger

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I have a problem with anger about certain things in my life. For instance: I volunteered to babysit a dog that is wild and annoying - for an entire week! I'm only halfway in and I feel hatred and anger at this annoying, helpless dog! I'm trying to work on training with it because it needs it, but I lose it everytime. Then that frustration turns on my DH and I feel out of control. I know it's not the dog's fault and I hate that I feel this way.

Mostly I feel God's peace in my life, but sometimes I get so blinded by anger it takes over. I feel guilty and ashamed of it because of the love God has shown me. I have prayed for help but at this point I feel too guilty to pray for help because I don't seem to be changing at all. My religious background taught that we shouldn't ask God for help if we just keep repeating the sin and I'm not sure if this is true or not. Either way, I feel like God is angry or ashamed of me for this. So where do you turn if you can't turn to God? :sad

Hi Sister seekinghim, the first thing I would suggest is learning that God's love never fails toward us which believe, and His grace and mercy extends way past your ability to fail. Even as men we’re to forgive repeatedly as we read in Mat 18:21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? Mat 18:22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

Heb 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
Heb 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

In Rom 5:3 We read that tribulation worketh patience. Since we belong to God, He is continually at work in our lives, and He’s not willing that you aren’t presented to Him without spot or wrinkle. You’ve probably heard the expression “He’s not finished with me yet,” and I can guarantee that from experience. Php 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.
Blessings in Christ Jesus. :wave2

Good that you're turning to God for guidance. But, please find an outlet for you anger before it turns against someone you don't want to hurt. Running, biking, gym, something, you need a physical outlet, and seek therapy if you need it.

I pray God blesses you and your family, but work with Him, you need to take on some things for yourself.

Im also ashamed of my anger im in a negative situation in my life and I feel satan making me angery at everybody like its their fault I have a mental disorder that makes me act weird and offend people my faith in God is helping me make it through everyday he will help you also, God Bless You

Mostly I feel God's peace in my life, but sometimes I get so blinded by anger it takes over. I feel guilty and ashamed of it because of the love God has shown me.

Jesus went into the temple twice that we know of and 'cleansed it', cracking a whip around one time. When you read the text, does it not sound to you like He "lost it" a bit?
While uncontrolled anger and vocal outburst at trivial things is sin and hurts you as well as others, I am not so sure that ALL expression of anger is sinful.

It is a great testimony to your character that you see this as an issue -but the more it bothers you, the more I'd say you are not as far gone as you THINK you are.

My religious background taught that we shouldn't ask God for help if we just keep repeating the sin and I'm not sure if this is true or not.
That is baloney, it is religious baloney, that is all there is to it.

REMEMBER something: 70 times 7. That is what He taught us about how we are to forgive. Do you think He would do less?

Righteous anger can keep a body alive. But that doesn't sound like your issue here.

Pray, seek council from a pastor, and don't volunteer to take angry care of anything helpless in future. Be it animal or human. When you know your anger this well it isn't fair to put others at risk with it since you haven't got it under control.

Find the reason for why you're so filled with fear. Anger can be a symptom of fear or repressed pain that you've not addressed. Introspection, prayer, meditation. Journal what comes to you and maybe find a pattern in your life. Triggers that bring your anger to the front and center.

God be with you. :pray

I asked for strength and God gave me difficulties to make me strong.
I asked for wisdom and God gave me problems to solve.
I asked for prosperity and God gave me brawn and brains to work.
I asked for courage and God gave me dangers to overcome.
I asked for patience and God placed me in situations where I was forced to wait.
I asked for love and God gave me troubled people to help.
I asked for favors and God gave me opportunities.
I asked for everything so I could enjoy life.
Instead, He gave me life so I could enjoy everything.
I received nothing I wanted, I received everything I needed.

Life is not easy and we all have our difficulties. It does seem like our prayers falls to deaf ears but we just need to keep praying... Thought I would share the poem above for you.

Triggers that bring your anger to the front and center...

Speaking of triggers to anger...I wonder...could the presence of the Lord make one angry? I'll explain. Anger is iniquity, right? In scripture, I've seemed to notice that when Jesus walks into the room, iniquity bubbles to the surface of any present. Most the time when He walked into the temple, He'd get confronted...when He got off the boat here and there, possessed people would act out in some way and usually approach him...

Can being in the presence of such holiness, bring such things to the surface? We always look to the dog, or to...whoever made us mad, or even ourselves, for the anger to sometimes seemingly spontaneously rise to the surface and it's like we're instantly angry. Maybe, it happened because the Lord just poked His head into the room? We didn't see Him though because we were busy being angry, so wasn't looking. lol.

If, when we become angry, we instantly turn to the Lord in our hearts and minds...perhaps even look around for Him...!...I wonder if He would open our eyes to see?

This is a spiritual war that we fight. We don't even fight, we submit to God. Remember when Stephen was being stoned in Acts? Stephen didn't let a little thing like being stoned (whoa) distract Him from the Lord...and He had an open vision. That is very significant in that it demonstrates to us that we are to guard our heart and mind and remain focused upon the Lord...no matter what, and He will be/is there.

Most people, being stoned or irritated by the dog (or whatever), might say that God is not with me right now, but this is not true! (You think He died on the cross for nothing?!). He said He'd never leave us or forsake us. Period. Elevated moods and extreme circumstances are when He is closest. Waiting to be called upon. Well, I'm not in the mood to talk to God, I'm angry! What if He is in the mood to talk to you? Right then. Reject those negative thoughts! He may be trying your faith, but is there.

If a spirit of anger comes upon a person suddenly, you can make it go away if you can catch yourself angry before you speak in anger. Test that spirit. Say the name of the Lord, dump in the Lords lap right then. What are you trying to say, Father? Help me. Real quick, before you throw an alarm clock at DH, lol.

I struggle with anger as well. I know it's because I work a lot and I don't have a good outlet, I bring a lot of stress home, and I have poor time management skills. I'm going back to gym after all of this holiday hustle is over, I seriously benefit in a monumental way psychologically from eating right and exercising. The early ascetic Christians said that taming the stomach is the key to taming other fleshly sins (two of which are a foul mouth and haughty temper)... I don't have enough fasting time in my life. I don't have ANY fasting in my life right now. The Lord has been telling me to lose weight, but I keep procrastinating.

It might seem strange to correlate eating habits/laziness and anger problems, and maybe you don't suffer from those like I do and I'm just talking to myself, but I felt like it was worth putting out there.

Of course, on the OTHER hand.....

View attachment 5689

But I think this applies to me more than you, seekinghim.
This, surprisingly enough, is precisely the ANSWER to the problem. There are probably dozens of verses that say this same thing in slightly different words.

Right believing produces right thinking, which leads to right living.

Hi seekinghim,

From one who's had his own problems with anger, I think it comes down to this: You need the power from God to be able to think and act differently. Until we learn to trust and depend on God consistently, you nor I or anyone else will be able to overcome an anger issue. In my experience, circumstances present themselves all the time, and you'll fail constantly until something really bad happens. People suffer for a long time, and when it's between people, it can be a poison. I would treat anger as a direct threat to your life, just as serious as if a doctor had diagnosed you with a deadly disease. Easier said then done, but it definitely needs to be addressed before you are no longer willing to confess the ever escalating sin. A good talk with a pastor, elder, and perhaps your friends would be helpful.

May the Lord change our hearts!

- Davies

Find the reason for why you're so filled with fear. Anger can be a symptom of fear or repressed pain that you've not addressed. Introspection, prayer, meditation. Journal what comes to you and maybe find a pattern in your life. Triggers that bring your anger to the front and center.

THANK YOU! I believe you hit the nail on the head here, because now that I think of it, I feel fear and pain when I feel anger - every time! And I know exactly why too. I just never put anger and fear together. Now I can address that and I believe the anger will disappear. ;)

THANK YOU! I believe you hit the nail on the head here, because now that I think of it, I feel fear and pain when I feel anger - every time! And I know exactly why too. I just never put anger and fear together. Now I can address that and I believe the anger will disappear. ;)
Loving this awareness. (Sometimes I get to thinking that, at the very least, Psych 101 should be a required course for HS graduation.)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back