Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Believe

JLB

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life
Supporter
Believe: - pisteuō Strongs # G4100 - verb

The KJV translates Strong's G4100 in the following manner: believe(239x), commit unto (4x), commit to (one's) trust (1x), be committed unto (1x), be put in trust with (1x), be commit to one's trust (1x), believer (1x).

I. to think to be true, to be persuaded of, to credit, place confidence in
A. of the thing believed
i. to credit, have confidence
B. in a moral or religious reference
i. used in the NT of the conviction and trust to which a man is impelled by a certain inner and higher prerogative and law of soul
ii. to trust in Jesus or God as able to aid either in obtaining or in doing something: saving faith
iii. mere acknowledgment of some fact or event: intellectual faith
II. to entrust a thing to one, i.e. his fidelity
A. to be intrusted with a thing

Believe carries the meaning of obey —

He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.” John 3:36 NKJV

He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.” John 3:36 NASB

It is noteworthy to understand that unbelief and disobedience are the same Greek word and are used interchangeably in the Bible based on translation.

Example: Unbelief - Disobedience

Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief: Hebrews 4:6 KJV

Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience, Hebrews 4:6 NKJV

The word “believe” as it relates to Christ and His gospel, commandments and doctrine should be understood as follows.

Believe - Trust, commit to obey.

JLB

I agree.

I think on a practical approach belief and faith should be compared to the term trust. If you trust something you act on that trust. Trust the rules like a builder trusts a blueprint, in this way obedience is the point. But also trust Jesus and trust God like you would trust a parent. You might mess up but you trust in God to walk you through it still.

This makes the idea that faith without action is dead, an idea that makes sense, because it isn't just an intelectual acknowledgment, but is something you trust and rely on to act on it and hope on it.

I agree.

I think on a practical approach belief and faith should be compared to the term trust. If you trust something you act on that trust. Trust the rules like a builder trusts a blueprint, in this way obedience is the point. But also trust Jesus and trust God like you would trust a parent. You might mess up but you trust in God to walk you through it still.

This makes the idea that faith without action is dead, an idea that makes sense, because it isn't just an intelectual acknowledgment, but is something you trust and rely on to act on it and hope on it.

I believe many use the word faith as they would trust.

Believe does carry the idea of trust, both of which are verbs.

Faith however is a noun, and is activated by obedience, which Is the primary definition of biblical believing.

Faith must have the corresponding action of obedience in order to activate and complete it, otherwise it remains dormant and inactive, unable to produce the intended divine result.

JLB

Faith however is a noun, and is activated by obedience, which Is the primary definition of biblical believing.

Faith must have the corresponding action of obedience in order to activate and complete it, otherwise it remains dormant and inactive, unable to produce the intended divine result.

JLB

I was never that good at determining what is a verb versus what is a noun. (Or pronoun, adverb, adjective...) With regards to trust I see it as both a noun, such as the trust of the people, or breaking a person's trust sounds like a noun. Where as to trust someone else is an action, it's a verb.

Either way, I think we agree on the matter that that without obedience it isn't really faith. I'd say the same is true of trust and belief. If there is no action to correspond a person's belief, then did they really believe it? If they don't act on something they trust, then did they really trust it? The same test I have on faith, is if we really rely on it or if we don't. That goes with both obedience to God, as well as reliance on God.

JLB
Can faith also be a verb? Wouldn't that be an example of faith in action? Just wondering.

JLB

That's exactly how it works. A required action to complete faith. Peter had to get out of the boat before he could walk on water. He took a risk and put his trust on Jesus...and the Lord responds to acts of faith. That's what He does!

a word that is both a noun and a verb, is called a gerund. so saith the grammar nazi

Reactions: JLB
Can faith also be a verb? Wouldn't that be an example of faith in action? Just wondering.

Obedience to the word by which we receive faith, is faith in action.

This is the meaning of the biblical word believe.

This corresponding action of obedience; the obedience of faith is exemplified throughout the Bible.

To believe the Gospel is to obey the Gospel.

JLB

Reactions: WIP
Back